Author Topic: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?  (Read 22291 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:39:43 am »
Thanks garycottle!

You say: I don't think that we're ever going to know exactly what percentage of the population is gay until everyone who is gay feels free to admit to it without fear. 

So we must all work towards that freedom? How?

Hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 03:15:50 pm »
Many in society still believe homosexuality is a choice. Obviously as gay men and women we know this is not true. But until society understands this, I think it will be difficult for us to progress. Let's all hope for a scientific breakthrough; something that will prove to society once and for all what we have known all along. One does not choose their sexual orientation, just like one does not choose their skin color.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 07:46:56 pm »
Thanks David, and thanks garycottle!!

Interesting are your comments!!

Do you think that we are at least 10 percent of the population?

Hugs!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 09:40:40 pm »
This is a good point, David.  But I kind of fear that if they track down a "gay gene" it could lead to genetic engineering.  There has already been a film made about how someone might react if they found out that their unborn baby might be gay.  Twilight of the Golds was about a gay man who had a sister that became pregnant. She learned that because her brother was gay, it was likely that her child would grow up to be gay, and so the question became would she abort the child. I can see something like that happening.  And that scares the hell out of me.

But most likely if they do find a scientific cause, it would be so complex that human beings couldn't really interfere with the process.  Or at least we can hope that's how it would turn out.

Gary

That is a scary thought Gary, and I can easily see some people doing it too. But I really do think if and when they find scientific evidence it will be much more complicated and complex than just one or two gay genes. Think about it. Many gay men also have effeminate traits, and their voice is often quite different than other men. I don't really know, but it seems to me it will probably be very intricate and complicated. Like you, I also hope this is the case.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 09:43:14 pm »
By co-winkie-dink while I was reading this thread FoxNews had the O'reilly Factor on.The discussion was regarding the two high school girls in a yearbook as "The
Cutest Couple". The discussion said gays and lesbians are 6% of the population;
however the discussion made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. OReilly
was debating that this was inapproprate behavior to put this in a year book.
He further stated that a strait couple in a year book is fine.I can only imagine how
the debate would have gone if the couple was dudes! Do they have this sh*t in Canada too?

I am begining to think, if ya can't fix it then force it!

TampaTalon^">

"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 09:45:38 pm »
By co-winkie-dink while I was reading this thread FoxNews had the O'reilly Factor on.
The discussion was regarding the two high school girls in a yearbook as "The
Cutest Couple". The discussion said gays and lesbians are 6% of the population;
however the discussion made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. OReilly
was debating that this was inapproprate behavior to put this in a year book.
He further stated that a strait couple in a year book is fine. I can only imagine how
the debare would go if the couple was dudes! Do they have this sh*t in Canada too?

I am begining to think, if ya can't fix it then force it!

TampaTalon^">

Bill O'Reilly probably wears his underwear on the outside of his pants. The man is a complete and total idiot.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
Bill O'Reilly probably wears his underwear on the outside of his pants. The man is a complete and total idiot.

I believe gays and lesbians are the only minority that it is acceptable to put down and discriminate against.Its unacceptable in this day and age.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 10:16:52 pm »
I believe gays and lesbians are the only minority that it is acceptable to put down and discriminate against.Its unacceptable in this day and age.

TampaTalon^">

This is very true. They regularly tell gay jokes on late night TV shows like Jay Leno. In fact, sometimes they are telling these jokes so fast and furiously it almost seems like some sort of feeding frenzy.

Hopefully someday people will look back on all of this and be as horrified about it as we are now towards such things as black face or "injuns".

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 10:07:16 am »
Thanks guys!!

If we find out that we are 10 percent or more, maybe the population in general will accept gay men more?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 09:47:12 pm »
Years ago, a study said that we gay men are 10 per cent, in society!

Are we now MORE than 10 percent?

Hugs!

When you say "gay men" are you weighing that against the total population including women.I strongly suspect that figure is way too high. Maybe including occasional bisexuals both male and female it adds up to 10%. Men and women who are exclusively homosexual is probably closer to 3 to 4% of the total population. but, I'm not convinced that there will be reliable studies until there are easy tests for the "gay gene" that was discovered about 10 years ago.