Author Topic: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?  (Read 22093 times)

moremojo

Re: We gay men are MORE than 10 per cent?
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 06:38:29 pm »
Gary, with my love of making and reading lists, I can't suppress a desire to add to the names that you provided as a sample making your excellent point regarding the immense contributions of American lesbigay people to their nation's culture. American literature and twentieth-century classical music, in particular, would be unthinkable without the indelible works made by the country's lesbigay sons and daughters:

Listed in no particular order:

Walt Whitman
Herman Melville
Willa Cather
Bessie Smith
Paul Bowles
Jane Bowles
Ned Rorem
Samuel Barber
Cole Porter
Stephen Sondheim
Aaron Copland
Leonard Bernstein
George Cukor
Vincente Minnelli
Mitchell Leisen
Jack Smith
Virgil Thomson
John Rechy
Allen Ginsberg
Jack Kerouac
Hart Crane
Gregory Markopoulos
Robert Beavers
Andy Warhol
Robert Mapplethorpe
George Kuchar
Mike Kuchar
Curt McDowell
Warren Sonbert
James Broughton
Joel Singer
John Waters
Chester Kallman

...when it comes to creative intellects, a little bit more than ten percent, wouldn't you say?  ;)

Note on edit: Amended 'Samuel Butler' to the correct and intended 'Samuel Barber'

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:27:13 pm by moremojo »

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 10:40:31 pm »
Just arrived ina snow storm, from a very long 3 days trip and slept in the cold in my truck... so I did not catch the name of the gay lady who just passed away... the night TV news say! She wrote for the gay paper in California, I think or was it the Toronto past Body Politics one?? She was in her 70's when she past away in British Columbia, Canada! She wrote only gay stories...and got the Order of Canada medal last year?? TV said! May we find her name and add her to your lists of gay writors?? We gay persons are surely more that 10 per cent as artists?

And concerning First Nations still too much forgotten and neglected by most, indeed we should and must include them as too.. not only because you and I have such descendants, but we as caring for humanity too!!

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 10:19:56 am »

A large number of US gay men and women also fall into this group. :)

I think gay people want to be accepted. It's as simple as that. We would like to be treated like any other member of society. But sometimes I think it's our fault because of our refusal to openly admit who we are. Or maybe it's society's fault because of the hostility we are met with once we do come out and admit it. It's complicated. And we will never know for certain what percentage of society we are, until we feel comfortable and accepted within the American social landscape.

I think that you have summed up my point of view about the difficulties gays/lesbians have in fully realizing the "american dream". You are right "It's complicated"

Financial success goes some ways  towards achieving this, and thru the difficult "school of experience" I have recognized that achieving levels of financial comfort is not the sum total of what we need. I hope that when same sex marriage is achieved in the legal and political system, that also will be a very large step in the right direction. But ultimately, each of us has to accept the truths about ourselves, and be happy with ourselves. We can blame the homophobic society we live in all we want (and it would be difficult to grow up in a more homophobic culture than I grew up in small town Texas), but in the last analysis, whether we are in or out of the closet, we must take responsibility for our own lives and learn to be happy with ourselves.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 11:20:10 am »
More than 10 per cent of us gays can be happy with our lives?

Why not aim for 100 per cent?

I say this because we can reach out more towards other gay men and gay women, so that when we group, or seek and find another person with mutual interests, at least we become happy?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 11:23:35 am »
More than 10 per cent of us gays can be happy with our lives?

Why not aim for 100 per cent?

I say this because we can reach out more towards other gay men and gay women, so that when we group, or seek and find another person with mutual interests, at least we become happy?

Hugs!

To my knowledge no one has said the "10% of gay can be happy". We all advocate happiness for all. I don't know how you have interpreted what was said in that way.    Artiste, is your translator device working OK?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:20 am »
Thanks brokeplex!

I feel that 10 percent of us gay men or less are happy or gay as gay men! You think so too, maybe??

Unfortunately, not all aim to be happy as persons??

I find that gay world sad!

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2008, 01:06:52 pm »
Now more tha 10 per cent in 2008?

Any facts?

Or thoughts?

Hugs!   May all gays be safe and happy in 2008 in the whole world!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:52 pm »
May I ask more names...

And think that the subject of 10 or more or less... be more too!!

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2008, 07:51:56 pm »
May I ask more names...
Sure...here are a few more (in no particular order):

John Cheever
Maurice Sendak
Larry Kramer
Leonard Pollack
Peter Lamborn Wilson
David Kopay
Camille Paglia
Randal Kleiser
David Ehrenstein
Bill Reed
Joel Schumacher
Victor Salva
Philip Core
Wakefield Poole
Thomas Tryon
Casey Donovan
Jodie Foster
Ellen DeGeneres
Rosie O'Donnell
Sandra Bernhard
Tom DeSimone
Annie Sprinkle
Rock Hudson
Merv Griffin
Charles Ludlam
Everett Quinton
Frederic Kahler
Tab Hunter
Tony Kushner

Note on edit: Deleted Allen Ginsberg's name from this post, as I discovered I had included him in a previous list on this thread, making his presence in this list redundant.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:28:42 pm by moremojo »

moremojo

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
One more name to add...

Colin Higgins

Here is a website devoted to the humanitarian foundation that late filmmaker Higgins established in 1986, and which bears his name:

http://www.colinhiggins.org/