Author Topic: The Morality Quiz  (Read 43168 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Morality Quiz
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 07:13:31 pm »
I'm not sure what I would do. Once I accidentally ran over a turtle and, though I squished its shell, it wasn't dead. The humane thing to do would have been to run over it again. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. And that was just a turtle! And it was for its own good! My friend had to take the wheel.

So while I think there's a good argument to be made for smothering the baby -- there may be plenty of other children in the group, for instance -- I'm not sure I could do it myself. BTW, though, I don't agree that this is a purely selfish act. I know this because I would NOT smother the baby if were JUST ME and the baby, thereby saving only my own life (even if the baby were not mine).

I just read an essay about a wealthy entrepreneur who gave away almost all of his money -- almost $43 million -- to the poor, wound up living in a modest house, etc. He was asked if he'd kill his own child in order to save a group of children. He said sure, in fact, he'd even kill his own child in order to save two other children. That kind of mindset is very hard to fathom.

And finally, ever since I had babies and found how difficult it is to quiet them, I've often wondered how refugees trying to escape during war have handled this -- it has undoubtedly happened many, many times. I guess often, when possible, they've drugged the babies. That seems like the best solution. (To be honest, there were days when my kids were infants when I wished I had some of those drugs to use myself!  ;D)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 07:26:49 pm »
So while I think there's a good argument to be made for smothering the baby -- there may be plenty of other children in the group, for instance -- I'm not sure I could do it myself. BTW, though, I don't agree that this is a purely selfish act. I know this because I would NOT smother the baby if were JUST ME and the baby, thereby saving only my own life (even if the baby were not mine).

So it doesn't matter that the baby is dead either way?  Except if you don't smother it - you're dead too.  What good came out of that situation?  How is not smothering the baby any better?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 07:57:01 pm »
Eating dead people is a heckuva lot easier decision to make than smothering a live baby or giving up others to be killed in your stead.

Hi Delalluvia!!

I don't think people understand why I mentioned this. I wasn't trying to make comparisons. And I wasn't trying to suggest it was a more difficult situation than killing a baby. It is another one of those morality questions.

Here's another one: You all are familiar with the movie Beloved, aren't you? In case everyone didn't know it, there is also book too; not just the movie. Anyway, Sethe is a slave woman who escaped from her northern Kentucky tobacco and indigo plantation. It was just a a few short miles up to the Ohio river and then across to freedom in Cincinnati Ohio. She actually makes the trip back and forth across the river several times, bringing her small children (toddlers and infants) with her. After settling in Cincinnati, the posses and regulators find out where she is, and they are sent to fetch her. Sethe takes all four of her children into the shed out back and tries to kill them. She figures the children are better off dead, rather than go back into slavery in Kentucky with Schoolteacher, the overseer who is an extremely evil man. Beloved is a very bone chilling and blood curdling story.

Did she make the right decision? Life on the Sweet Home plantation was extremely hard and cruel for the slaves. They were frequently whipped, chained, families broke up and sold off to other plantations, children and young mothers raped and beaten, feet and hands cut off, etc... 

See? And once again I'm not trying to compare anything. But this is another morality question. There are many of them. But the ones Kerry told us about are the most chilling, although the story of Sethe is probably a very close second. The only reason I say this is because it is Sethe killing the children. One of us isn't being asked to do it.

By the way, the story of Sethe is a true story. It really happened. Except Hollywood took the true story of Sethe, and turned it into a ghost story. In the movie, one of the children returns from the dead to haunt her.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 08:17:55 pm »
For some reason this is making me think about the terrible plane wreck up in the Andes mountains back in the 1970's. I'm sure you all are familiar with this. The survivors of the wreck were forced to eat the dead. Remember that? This is another one of those "could I do it?" scenarios.

I don't think I could. But I suppose one never really knows for certain until they are faced with something like this. It's a chilling thought.

This very same thing happened to the Donner party in the 1800's. I think it happened in Colorado.

Donner Pass in California, east side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.  They were actually only about 100 miles from their destination in Sacramento but the snows set in and they were trapped.

From Wikipedia

When they reached the Sierra Nevada at the end of October, a snowstorm blocked their way over what is now known as Donner Pass. Demoralized and low on supplies, about two thirds of the emigrants camped at a lake (now called Donner Lake), while the Donner families and a few others camped about six miles (ten kilometers) away, at Alder Creek.[2]

The emigrants slaughtered their oxen, but there was not enough meat to feed so many for long. In mid-December, fifteen of the trapped emigrants, later known as the Forlorn Hope, set out on crudely fashioned snowshoes for Sutter's Fort, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) away, to seek help. This group consisted of 10 men and five women. When one man gave out and had to be left behind, the others continued, but soon became lost and ran out of food. Caught without shelter in a raging blizzard, four of the party died. The survivors resorted to cannibalism, then continued on their journey; three more died and were also cannibalized. Close to death, the seven surviving snowshoers--two men and all five of the women--finally reached safety on the western side of the mountains on January 18, 1847.[2]

Donner Pass in the 1870s.Californians rallied to save the Donner Party and equipped a total of four rescue parties, or "reliefs." When the First Relief arrived, 14 emigrants had died at the camps and the rest were extremely weak. Most had been surviving on boiled ox hide, but there had been no cannibalism. The First Relief set out with 21 refugees on February 22.

When the Second Relief arrived a week later, they found that some of the 31 emigrants left behind at the camps had begun to eat the dead. The Second Relief took 17 emigrants with them, the Third Relief four. By the time the Fourth Relief had reached the camp, only one man was alive. The last member of the Donner Party arrived at Sutter's Fort on April 29.[2]

Of the original 87 pioneers, 39 died and 48 survived.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 08:33:59 pm »
I'm familiar with the story of Beloved, and I personally think that Sethe made the right decision, for her, given the situation.  
Gary

Beloved is an extremely scary and deeply disturbing movie. It is a very deep and intricate story and beautifully made. Oprah Winfrey and Danny Glover star in it. This is not a movie to watch if you are looking to get a quick scare though. Yes, it does have some frightening ghost scenes, but the movie challenges our sense of morality. I've watched Beloved several times, and each time I watch it, I'm never quite sure if I fault Sethe for attempting to kill her four children (and successfully killing one) or sympathizing with her. Suddenly the movie makes me uncomfortable with myself, and I think this is probably the scariest part.  :-\

EDIT: Oops! I just re-read your post Gary and I noticed you said you ARE familiar with the story. I misread it the first time. Sorry about that.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:53:50 pm by David »

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »
No, I never saw Beloved.

But based on the plotline you've said, I, also, would not presume to judge Sethe.  She knew what it would be like to be a slave.  It's not like she's some nut killing her kids to save them from Satan/living unChristian/Muslim lives.  She's trying to save them from living a very real hell on earth.  Her story is a tragic one repeated umpteen times throughout history.  I know that many people conquered all over Europe and Asia by name-your-favorite-ancient-empire also chose to not only kill their children, but their wives and themselves rather than be taken into bondage.

http://artchive.com/artchive/R/roman/roman_gaul_suicide.jpg.html

Heck what is the story of Masada but mass murder/suicide for that very reason?

The baby situation though seems more like a Sophie's Choice kind of thing.

I gave some more thought to Jess's question about 'what kind of life would you have if you did choose to smother a baby to save your/others lives?'

I think the answer would be - a life that you would try your very best to make worthwhile.

I kept thinking of the movie Saving Private Ryan

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN IT!!!

What was that but a group of men - unwillingly - risking their lives and losing them so that one -ONE- particular man could go home and live his life?  Ryan promised himself that he would go on to live the very best life he could so those men wouldn't have died in vain.

It wasn't pleasant at times for him I'm sure.  What a burden.  But a lot of good came from it as well.  At the end, he grieved, but I'm sure he wasn't in the long run, sorry.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 11:08:20 pm »

Unholy dilennas are unholy...and that is what makes them dilemmas.  They are problems that
no human should ever have to make.  It is not for us to judge a person when faced with this kind of
horrible choice.  They do what they feel they must.  Just as anyone faced with this kind of a problem.  i
should never jugde anyone, specially when having to do it under an immediate threat of death...
            We can never really know what to do until the time comes.

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 01:26:15 am »
Beloved may be based originally on some true historical story, but the Toni Morrison novel from which it was adapted is fictional. And the tragedy is that, in the story, Sethe DOES escape from slavery not long after killing her baby, Beloved. Then she has another daughter, I think (I'm going  from 15-year-old memory). So when Beloved comes back to haunt them, she seems to kind of metaphorically represent Sethe's conscience, or perhaps on a larger scale, the legacy of slavery.

As for the Donners, I read a New Yorker article not long ago indicating that new research suggests they actually didn't eat people.

So it doesn't matter that the baby is dead either way?  Except if you don't smother it - you're dead too.  What good came out of that situation?  How is not smothering the baby any better?

Yeah, you're right. I guess what I was disagreeing with was someone's earlier comment that killing the baby was a purely selfish decision, whereas I think it really would depend on whether I was saving just my own life or the life of a group. Take the baby out of the equation, and the group would be more important than my single life. But if the baby's absolutely going to die either way, it becomes a different kind of dilemma.

Those choices between a single life, however important, over the lives of numerous people -- those are tough decisions.

Unfortunately, they're kind of related to the torture issue. Do you, ala Jack Bauer, torture someone who knows where the bomb is that's set to blow up Los Angeles, killing millions? Luckily, research seems to suggest that torture is not effective in any case.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 05:46:33 am »
Beloved may be based originally on some true historical story, but the Toni Morrison novel from which it was adapted is fictional. And the tragedy is that, in the story, Sethe DOES escape from slavery not long after killing her baby, Beloved. Then she has another daughter, I think (I'm going  from 15-year-old memory). So when Beloved comes back to haunt them, she seems to kind of metaphorically represent Sethe's conscience, or perhaps on a larger scale, the legacy of slavery.

I beg to differ, Katherine. I remember Oprah talking about this while she was promoting the movie Beloved. She said it really happened. Now, perhaps this was some sort of cheap Hollywood gimmick. I always understood it to be true and factual. But I remember Oprah telling us the events did not actually occur in the Covington, Kentucky area, but rather about 10 miles further south in Independence, KY, which must have been a real feat for Sethe, running back and forth at that great of a distance. Back then, 10 miles was a long distance, especially on foot.

I think the most important thing for all of us to remember is the movie and the message. It is a lesson in morality, and I think most of us agree that Sethe was probably without fault in trying to protect her children from slavery using the only means available in order to do so.  :'(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 08:58:12 am »
I think the most important thing for all of us to remember is the movie and the message. It is a lesson in morality, and I think most of us agree that Sethe was probably without fault in trying to protect her children from slavery using the only means available in order to do so.  :'(

"Beloved" sounds like a very poignant, inspirational story.  I'll be looking out for it when next I'm hiring a movie. Thank you for telling us about it, David.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν