Author Topic: One Day in America  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
One Day in America
« on: December 01, 2007, 09:40:35 am »
Time magazine recently ran an article titled, "One Day In America." In a country as big and diverse as the USA, being average still leaves you room to be different. Here's a look at the daily life of the average American. How do you measure up? Visit the following sites to see how you compare:

Commuting:

http://www.time.com/time/2007/america_numbers/commuting.html

Job Happiness:

http://www.time.com/time/2007/america_numbers/job.html

Free Time:

http://www.time.com/time/2007/america_numbers/play.html

Drinking:

http://www.time.com/time/2007/america_numbers/alcohol.html
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: One Day in America
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:20:13 pm »

Though I'm not American, I thought it would be fun to participate, just to see how I compare with the "average" American haha.  ;)  :D

Two things particularly stood out for me.

The first was daily internet use. I responded that I am online approximately 3 hours each day on average. I was shocked to read that the daily average in America is something like 20 minutes!!!  :o  I would have expected it to be higher than that. I can only guess that this low figure comes from an average of the entire population, and as lots of people don't have a computer, that would keep the result low.  ???

Something I laughed at was a comment about the average American getting in their car for the drive to work at approximately 8.30am each day. It made me laugh, because I have usually been sitting at my desk for about an hour already by the time 8.30 ticks around!   :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 04:45:35 am »
I can't get the quizzes to load up Kerry, but we played around with the maps a little. I wonder why they drink so much in New Hampshire? Maybe it's because of all the politicians up there right now! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:01:47 am »
You must get up with the chickens.   :P

I'm up at 6am every morning. It's only a short drive across the Harbour Bridge to my place of work.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:06:40 am »
I can't get the quizzes to load up Kerry, but we played around with the maps a little. I wonder why they drink so much in New Hampshire? Maybe it's because of all the politicians up there right now! ;)

Haha, I'm guessing Canberra would show-up likewise, David, should there ever be an Oz version of this exercise!  :D

P.S., Sorry you had difficulty accessing the questionnaires. You may have had a slow internet connection. Try again later.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:53:25 am »
Where I'm way different is I spend 0 hours watching television each day! I was surprised to find that I don't spend more time on the Internet than the average person. Go figure! Does IMing count for being on the Internet? My commute is twice as long as others because I have to go from the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains into Denver to work. Thus I arise at 5:10 each morning and start work at 7 a.m. It's nice to be able to chat with East Coasters, Europeans and even some Australians before beginning my day. With luck, I leave work at 5 or 6 pm and do everything in reverse!

It looks like people in my job field have a lot of happiness too! You need to have satisfaction in my field (marketing managers) to balance out the stress.

"chewing gum and duct tape"