Author Topic: Martha Stewart Likes Spam!  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Martha Stewart Likes Spam!
« on: December 01, 2007, 07:05:26 pm »
I was very surprised to hear that, but I heard her say it with my own ears. She was guest host, with Robert Osborne, Friday evening, Nov. 30, on Turner Classic Movies.

The reason Spam came up was because one of the movies she chose for the evening, one I had not previously seen, was Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy, released in 1948 (dream house: appropriate choice from Martha, don't you think?). In the film Cary Grant worked in the advertising industry, and his client made a product they called Wham, obviously a thinly fictionalized version of Spam.

The film is a comedy, but I found it only mildly amusing (not really funny like Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace). However, I've become fascinated by movies like it, films released in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, that take place in the "present day" when they were released, for their value as a glimpse into the period. I'm not just talking about ideas and attitudes here, but also simple material culture things, and what life was like. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House is a good example.

At the beginning of the film, Cary Grant and Myrna Loy have a two-bedroom apartment in Manhattan. They have a housekeeper. They have a car. Myrna Loy's character apparently does not work outside the home. Their two daughters attend a private, "exclusive" school. Then they buy 35 acres in Connecticut, demolish the old house on it, and build a new one (for less than what I paid for my one-bedroom condominium in 1995). They do all this on Cary Grant's princely advertising salary of fifteen thousand dollars a year. Imagine. That must have been considered a lot of money for the late 1940s because the sum gets repeated a couple of times.

Anyway, I'm still surprised that Martha Stewart likes Spam. How 'bout that, I have something in common with Martha other than the sheets I bougt at K-Mart that had her name on them!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

Re: Martha Stewart Likes Spam!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:39:33 pm »
I like Spam....

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 08:42:22 pm »
Me too --- fried and everything! But I don't have it too much. My granny used to make it for a quickie meal.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:29:45 pm »
I like Spam....

SPEAK UP, JESS!!!! Some of us are a little hard of hearing!  :laugh:

Lord, if Martha can like Spam, and Shasta and I like Spam, you don't have to whisper about it.

I like it diced up and added to macaroni and cheese!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:43:59 pm »
SPEAK UP, JESS!!!! Some of us are a little hard of hearing!  :laugh:

Lord, if Martha can like Spam, and Shasta and I like Spam, you don't have to whisper about it.

I like it diced up and added to macaroni and cheese!  :D

thinly sliced and fried to a crisp on fresh bread.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 01:37:56 am »
Count me IN!  I love it plain or fried.... I especially like it for Breakfast with a couple of eggs and a toasted English Muffin  ::) Yum  ;)  :D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 01:51:37 am »
Yesterday I made beans and rice, and it called for canned meat..  Spam did the trick.  I actually liked it! 

injest

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 02:00:15 am »
that was it's original purpose ...to replace more expensive products...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 02:39:00 am »

This thread reminds me of the movie Michael, with John Travolta.
 Where Minnie Driver sings the pie song.....Pie pie me oh my i love pie..

Only this one is Spam spam damn sam, i love spam...................

Beautiful mind