Author Topic: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark  (Read 156117 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark
« Reply #240 on: December 24, 2007, 10:39:26 pm »
By the way my userpic is an image of the planet Jupiter as photographed from a satellite orbiting Mars.

I chose it several months ago. It is not intended to represent the abomination of desolation.    ;) :laugh:

I like a little desolation ever now and then.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #241 on: December 24, 2007, 11:51:28 pm »
Jesus tells them the time has come. This is the last wine he will drink until the kingdom of God arrives.

He tells Peter that Peter will deny knowing him 3 times before morning. Peter is aghast.

He takes the disciples to the garden of Gethsemane. Peter, John, and James fall asleep while Jesus prays. Judas arrives with the authorities carrying swords and clubs. All the disciples flee, except for one:

"A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him. But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked."

As we noted above, this sounds reminiscent of the young man of Secret Mark, and of the Beloved Disciple, the author of the gospel of John, whether that is the Apostle John, or the disciple Lazarus, or someone else. The writer of the gospel of John had details about Jesus's prayers in Gethsemane as well as the arrest and subsequent events that none of the other gospels include.

This is the night he comes up with the lords prayer and I understood they all fell asleap but we know about his asking is this the only way, and the lords prayer, so perhaps it is this young man who was with him that taught it to the rest of us.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #242 on: December 24, 2007, 11:56:40 pm »

Wikipedia says that in modern times, Western traditions of Christianity hold Pilate and thus Rome accountable for Jesus's death, while Eastern traditions believe Pilate was exonerated by washing his hands as indicated in other gospels. Mark does not mention the hand-washing ceremony.

Which is interesting as Jesus has been citied as saying not to wash your hands. Indeed I think the exoneration of Pilate and Rome goes hand in hand with blaming the Jews for his death. I think everyone had a part in it, including Jesus. I think he was intentionally martyring himself.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #243 on: December 25, 2007, 12:00:27 am »
Today, maybe more than any day in my life before, I want to believe in an everlasting life.

If I live long enough, I know that there will come at least two more times in my life when I will want it even more than now.

I believe it will be friend, I have not seen it. But even ifit sleep, dream, or just a good light show, I will be thankful.

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #244 on: December 25, 2007, 12:09:27 pm »
laid the trip on them and they started pulling stuff out too.
:laugh: ;)   exactly ! I wonder if a lot of miracles have to do with just getting people to do what they know is right in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:47:41 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2007, 12:13:28 pm »

"Christ the Pantocrator"    -    "Sustainer of the World."
:)      wow - that's really beautiful iycfi!!!  Thank you and Merry Christmas to you too!    :)   :-*
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2007, 12:21:02 pm »
I like a little desolation ever now and then.
Well, talk about desolation - you get out there anywhere near Jupiter and Mars? Now that's desolate.    :o

Ooooh, and thanks so much for the calamondin marmalade Shakes!!!!  We had it with some muffins Momma made this Christmas mornin...  MmmM!     ;D

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2007, 12:28:43 pm »
Well, talk about desolation - you get out there anywhere near Jupiter and Mars? Now that's desolate.    :o

Ooooh, and thanks so much for the calamondin marmalade Shakes!!!!  We had it with some muffins Momma made this Christmas mornin...  MmmM!     ;D

Its some purdy good stuff ain't it? We threw in an orange to lighten it up a bit.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #248 on: December 26, 2007, 07:49:49 am »

Now you have my curiosity peaked...What is that...I love marmalade..but i never heard of that!!    ;D

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2007, 08:27:42 am »
St. John is commemorated on 27 December, which he originally shared with St. James the Greater. At Rome the feast was reserved to St. John alone at an early date, though both names are found in the Carthage Calendar, the Hieronymian Martyrology, and the Gallican liturgical books. The "departure" or "assumption" of the Apostle is noted in the Menology of Constantinople and the Calendar of Naples (26 September), which seems to have been regarded as the date of his death. The feast of St. John before the Latin Gate, supposed to commemorate the dedication of the church near the Porta Latina, is first mentioned in the Sacramentary of Adrian I (772-95).

Early Christian art usually represents St. John with an eagle, symbolizing the heights to which he rises in the first chapter of his Gospel. The chalice as symbolic of St. John, which, according to some authorities, was not adopted until the thirteenth century, is sometimes interpreted with reference to the Last Supper, again as connected with the legend according to which St. John was handed a cup of poisoned wine, from which, at his blessing, the poison rose in the shape of a serpent. Perhaps the most natural explanation is to be found in the words of Christ to John and James "My chalice indeed you shall drink" (Matthew 20:23).
------------------------------------------
Here is some additional information I found about John... also known as John the one whom Christ loved.

Beautiful mind