Author Topic: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark  (Read 155056 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Twist family Bible study: the Gospel of Mark
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2007, 09:35:55 pm »
As always, Wikipedia has some interesting insights ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_3

there is an intriguing footnote: "by the time Mark was writing in the late 60s, the Gentile churches outside of Israel were beginning to resent the authority wielded by Jerusalem where James and the apostles were leaders, thus providing the motive for Mark’s antifamily stance… (Butz, 2005, p. 44)."

So there were already disagreements as early as AD 60.  ::)   Sounds like we shouldn't feel too bad if we can't resolve all the details now.    ;)

When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2007, 10:32:27 pm »
The foreshadowing is very interesting to me, and the part about his conflict with healing on the Sabbath seems to conflict with the part from matthew that Jess brought up about all th elaws remaining in effect until they are finished.

Could Jesus have thought the laws did not apply to him as he saw himself as the son of God?

Could this be the begining of what he knew would be a wedge between the old and the new?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2007, 05:52:07 pm »
 :-X   Just my opinion, but my impression at the moment is that he was ready to completely change the rules.

"not to abolish the law but to fulfill the law..." What does that mean? Something like - the law was here to prepare us for the next step?

"Your sins are forgiven..." "Sin" meant lots of things. According to Leviticus, most of those things are along the lines of not tithing your rosemary.

He could not speak explicitly what he wanted to say. The gospel writers frequently remind us that he could not, because he would get killed if he did. That's why he spoke in parables.

(Spoiler alert: actually he does wind up getting killed, but I don't want to ruin the ending for anybody!   :o  )

I suspect that if he could have spoken freely he would have said look, this is ridiculous. It's time for a change.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2007, 06:12:21 pm »
I had never thought of that before, he did have to "spin" him message to get it out to people.

I have heard Brokeback described as a parable.

injest

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2007, 08:08:59 pm »
:-X   Just my opinion, but my impression at the moment is that he was ready to completely change the rules.

"not to abolish the law but to fulfill the law..." What does that mean? Something like - the law was here to prepare us for the next step?

"Your sins are forgiven..." "Sin" meant lots of things. According to Leviticus, most of those things are along the lines of not tithing your rosemary.

He could not speak explicitly what he wanted to say. The gospel writers frequently remind us that he could not, because he would get killed if he did. That's why he spoke in parables.

(Spoiler alert: actually he does wind up getting killed, but I don't want to ruin the ending for anybody!   :o  )

I suspect that if he could have spoken freely he would have said look, this is ridiculous. It's time for a change.

dang it Wayne!!

>:( >:( >:( >:(

now you have ruined the book for me!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2007, 12:56:52 pm »
dang it Wayne!!

;D ;D ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2007, 04:20:08 pm »
dang it Wayne!!

:-\   Aww!  Next time I'll put spoilers in white like this:

There's a surprise ending!!    :o

Don

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2007, 04:29:11 pm »
Well there are other books in which he didn;t die fronm what I hear. One has him going to France.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2007, 05:14:24 pm »
Well there are other books in which he didn;t die fronm what I hear. One has him going to France.

Yeah, but I think that qualifies as fan fiction.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2007, 05:36:54 pm »
My favorite is the Lazarus/Jesus slash!    :-* :-*

But that will have to wait till we get to the book of John    ;)

Don