Author Topic: TOTW 17/07: Why didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride when they got down the mountain?  (Read 24853 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
author=Penthesilea link=topic=15356.msg296661#msg296661 date=1196711226

But of course there's more to it than that. The opening question has bugged me also for a while, combined with the inevitable "What might have been....."
I think one important reason why Jack acted the way he did is given by Ang Lee himself (paraphrasing): they were both cowboys. They didn't talk about their feelings; non-verbal communication is important; and they had pride. What's true for the whole movie is also true for this scene.

I think pride was a crucial factor here. Jack already had taken the punch from Ennis earlier, and was apparently and understandably pi**ed about it. Look at his face when they descent with the sheep.
Then, while standing beside his truck, Jack is all cautious and hesitant. And he makes one last attempt when he asks Ennis whether he's going to do this again next summer. And even after Ennis's negatory answer (which wasn't totally negatory, btw) he half-tries again with "I might be back ... if the army don't get me." He leaves a door open. Ennis at least knows where to find Jack next summer if he wants to.

I think Jack has gone as far as he thought he could without begging.

Heya,

Sorry for jumping into this TOTW late in the game.  But, this early post from Penthesilea back on page one of this thread seemed very accurate to me.  To me the simple answer as to why Jack didn't offer Ennis a ride is that he's angry at Ennis at the moment.  And, yes, I think he probably did feel he'd "gone as far as he thought he could without begging."  That seems like a good way to express it.  And, once Ennis says "I guess I'll see you around, hunh?" I think Jack is just exasperated. 

I think this combined with the more practical explanation having to do with traveling opposite directions resolve this particular question in my mind at least.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

Thanks brokeplex, and thanks all of you!!

All the information here is revealing, really informative!! And I see that in my own life and the persons I did meet in the past and now. And I will not say if I am an Ennis or an Jack!!

To you brokeplex and to all, my I repose this:
[When both Ennis and Jack after coming down with the sheep, why was Jack's truck turned? Is that maybe a sign that Jack wanted to ask Ennis, to offer Ennis a ride??

/i]

Think that might be something?

Hugs!!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Ah yes, but then we wouldn't have had that iconic image of Ennis in Jack's rear-view mirror...
I'm surprised you guys managed to stretch this conversation to five pages after this post.  That iconic image is the only reason for changing the scene.  It was purely cinematic.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Thanks brokeplex, and thanks all of you!!

All the information here is revealing, really informative!! And I see that in my own life and the persons I did meet in the past and now. And I will not say if I am an Ennis or an Jack!!

To you brokeplex and to all, my I repose this:
[When both Ennis and Jack after coming down with the sheep, why was Jack's truck turned? Is that maybe a sign that Jack wanted to ask Ennis, to offer Ennis a ride??

/i]

Think that might be something?

Hugs!!

Jack had moved his truck out of Aguirre's garage and Ennis and he were trying to get it to start. Sure he wanted to give Ennis a ride, and Ennis wanted a ride. It didn't happen. 

Offline Artiste

Thanks brokeplex!

You say this: Jack had moved his truck out of Aguirre's garage !

Brokeplex: How do you know that? Was that mentionned in the movie? Or in the book? Or?

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Heya,

Sorry for jumping into this TOTW late in the game.  But, this early post from Penthesilea back on page one of this thread seemed very accurate to me.  To me the simple answer as to why Jack didn't offer Ennis a ride is that he's angry at Ennis at the moment.  And, yes, I think he probably did feel he'd "gone as far as he thought he could without begging."  That seems like a good way to express it.  And, once Ennis says "I guess I'll see you around, hunh?" I think Jack is just exasperated. 

I think this combined with the more practical explanation having to do with traveling opposite directions resolve this particular question in my mind at least.

Bingo.  Agree.  Chrissie hit it five pages ago.  Jack had already tried to help Ennis and got his chops busted for it.  So much for that.  And they're also going in opposite directions.  Yeah, it's a great iconic shot, but still realistic.  We just saw Ennis for a couple of seconds in the rearview mirror.  For all we know, a couple of blocks later, he turns right to get out of town to hitch.

Offline Artiste

Why Ennis does not ask Jack for a ride? Because, he re-considers that he is a staight man again or still is??

Can this be asked??

Hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Why Ennis does not ask Jack for a ride? Because, he re-considers that he is a staight man again or still is??

Can this be asked??

Hugs!

Sure.  Ennis was most certainly trying to distance himself from Jack.  He does this with the 10 foot pole of "Me and Alma is getting married" reminder and what better way to distance himself besides emotionally than with actual physical distance?  No ride, no how.  Ennis is trying to fit himself back into his straight persona mold and it makes him - literally - sick.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Sure.  Ennis was most certainly trying to distance himself from Jack.  He does this with the 10 foot pole of "Me and Alma is getting married" reminder and what better way to distance himself besides emotionally than with actual physical distance?  No ride, no how.  Ennis is trying to fit himself back into his straight persona mold and it makes him - literally - sick.

I am so impressed with the way you find the right words to paint the exact picture of how it is, Delalluvia....

I read that, and saw it all before me, and nodded my head in agreement....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I agree so completely. I can almost hear Ennis saying to himself, "Now I have paid Jack off..."

"chewing gum and duct tape"