Author Topic: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?  (Read 64022 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Joe Aguirre: what do you think of this character as portrayed in the movie?
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2007, 11:37:54 am »
Thanks myprivatejack!

Indeed, I see to that Aguirre was for a better world among men!!

Aguirre, to me, did tolerate Ennis and Jack. And surely could have fired them immediately if he would have been in a rage seing them shirtless and playing, and even could have killed them from afar, had he been like a muslim of a radical islam or other such intolerant religion or non-religion. To-day unfortunately, the woman who came back to her country was murdered in Pakistan because she is female and educated, and wanted to run as President in Pakistan, and sought freedom!!

Long live Aguirres, Ennis', Jacks, and others for freedom among and for gay men, and for ladies being and all children educated in the world!!
It seems evident in the movie, that Aguirre was for freedom!! Is that so in the book?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2007, 02:36:33 pm »
Well,I don´t know if this has been said before,because I´ve found the forum too late,but here I go¡:iIMO,Aguirre in the scene where they are playing shirtless while he is seeing them at distance,shows the difference between the idilic environment they´ve lived in BBM and the real world they´re going to find when they came back to their usual life.For me this scene is brutal for this reason... :-\ He was a man with no time to sentimental issues,since his only interet was making money and,of course,Ennis and Jack were then the ones who must guarantee this.Aguirre has been very criticised,but I find logical that he thought that if his workers were not only playing sexual games,but moreover,in love,their work would be neglicted...For this reason,he invented the excuse of the storm that was coming to avoid another problems with his real interets.But I must say that I don´t like him at all;I only an putting myself in his shoes...

I don't think Aguirre was "inventing" the weather patterns in order to create an early shovedown for Ennis and Jack. It would have been in Aguirre's financial interests to leave the sheep on the allotments as long as possible. (free grass on the public lands !) The weather in the sheep industry and cattle industry dictates the agenda. Aguirre could not afford to leave the sheep up on the mountain for too long, if the weather was turning suddenly cooler in mid Aug. If the sheep were trapped in snow on the mountain pastures, the loss of sheep would be far in excess of the 25% he suffered in 1962. Certainly, Aguirre was concerned that the boys were "playing around" and probably neglecting his sheep. But I don't think that he would bring them down a month early just based upon that consideration.  I find it interesting that in Proulx's short story, Aguirre made three trips up the mountain to give messages to or inspect the boys work. In the movie we know of only two. Anther little departure that the movie makes from the short story.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2007, 05:27:52 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, and thanks to all too!!

Brokeplex, you say: I find it interesting that in Proulx's short story, Aguirre made three trips up the mountain to give messages to or inspect the boys work. In the movie we know of only two. Anther little departure that the movie makes from the short story.

So Brokeplex, please detail which one was left out??

Hugs!! Happy Gay Holidays to you all and to all on earth!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2007, 01:20:03 pm »
Have you read the short story Artiste?

Please go read it carefully, and then I will be delighted to discuss this with you at length.

Meanwhile, have a Happy New Year! 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2007, 08:07:34 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Your suggestion is good, you know.

To-day, I have found some pages of Annie's story. And plan to find time to read these soonest.

Be ready for questions I will pose to you about Aguirre.. or I will use my teacher's strap??

You think that Aguiree was like a teacher in the book or the movie?  Question is asked also to all here!!

Hugs!! Happy Gay Holidays and New Year to you, and to all, with Aguirre too!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2007, 08:12:51 pm »
You continue to amuse me Artiste. Would that be a leather strap Artiste?

May I suggest that you also order a copy of "Reading Brokeback". There is an essay contained that has as a subpremise that the film "Brokeback Mountain" uses an "anti-gay" subtext. I'm sure that I just got your undivided attention Artiste!

I will comment myself on that essay in future days.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2007, 02:03:10 pm »
Thanks brokeplex! You made me smile!

That book can be copied on the internet?

About bonfire of vanities, do you (and to all) think that Aguirre thought about that concerning Ennis and Jack??

Hugs!!

May your portrait of love be a shining star!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2007, 08:42:52 pm »
no, you must order it on Amazon:

"Reading Brokeback Mountain" edited by Jim Stacy ISBN-13: 978-0-7864-3044-4

I paid around 30$ for it.

I will be commenting today on one of the essays in the book.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2007, 11:37:34 pm »
May all Aguirres help us gay men... be more happy with jobs and more!!

And may we all gay men accept all Aguirres!! May we all help each other make a better world of peace for all mankind!!

Brokeplex and to all of you: May I wish you all the best, happiness and health and desires in 2008,  and  look forward again for your continued welcomed communications!!
 soon.

Hugs!!

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
I think there's more to this Joe Aguirre character than meets the eye. Heres a extract fro the book.

They believed themselves invisible, not knowing Joe Aguirre had watched them through his 10x42 binoculars for ten minutes one day, waiting until they'd buttoned up their jeans

What kind of homophobic man would watch to men have sex for ten minutes?

He didn't have to, he could of rode off and and came back another time. But he didn't he watched them.

My opine is that theres more to this Joe character than meets the eye,

What do you think?
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.