Author Topic: A Baroque Christmas  (Read 26187 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
A Baroque Christmas
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:38:12 am »
If anyone happens to come across Christmas or Christmas related songs from the Baroque and Classicals periods, please feel free to post them here!  8)

This first song is by Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713). It is Concerto grosso in G minor, op.6 no. 8, affectionately known as The Christmas Concerto. My musician friends and I have played this concerto many times, mostly during the Christmas season. It was written around 1690, and published one year after Corelli's death, in 1714. 

The Adagio-Allegro-Adagio (third movement) of the concerto may sound familiar to some of you. It was featured in the movie "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World".

This concerto is about 7 minutes in length.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4SLTdmJ5mI[/youtube]

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: A Baroque Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:58:39 am »
George Frideric Handel's "Hallelujiah Chorus" from The Messiah.

George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) first performed his famous oratorio The Messiah at the New Music Hall in Dublin, Ireland in 1742. Handel never intended The Messiah to be performed using large orchestras and large choirs. Handel also never intended The Messiah to be performed only during the Chrstmas season. In many parts of the world, The Messiah is heard year round but here in the United States it remains popular mostly during Christmas.

The Hallelujah Chorus from G.F. Handel's The Messiah

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNvo3-aRwEc[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 02:06:09 am »
For Unto Us A Child Is Born, from G.F. Handel's "The Messiah".

Robert Shaw conducts The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chamber Chorus.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9kjqpvkESs[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:37:16 am »
Antonio Vivaldi's "Gloria"

Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741) both a Catholic priest and composer, wrote at least three versions of Gloria with only two existing in their entirety today. Although the date is disputed, this version of Gloria was probably written around 1708.

Antonio Vivaldi's Gloria (in part) performed by The Pacific Baroque Orchestra and Musica Intima

(about 3:30)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIo3IlE577A[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 08:19:23 pm »
Johann Sebastian Bach's Christmas Oratorio 

J.S. Bach (1685-1750) wrote the Christmas Oratorio in 1734. It is a set of six cantatas celebrating the Christmas season.

Here is an 8 minute excerpt from Weihnachtsoratorium or Christmas Oratorio (BWV 248).

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_uJawfU8Q[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 09:01:56 pm »
This next song is called "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" by Christoph Willibald Ritter von Gluck (1714-1787)

"Dance of the Blessed Spirits" is from the opening of the second scene in Elysium, from the opera "Orfeo ed Euridice". Now before all you music aficionados start jumping on me and telling me this isn't Christmas music, let me tell you a little story about this particular piece. When I lived in Evansville, I once saw a Christmas music video on television. The video starts off by showing the outside of a quaint English Tudor cottage, far out in the country and away from civilization. Two sleeping children upstairs are awakened by the sound of beautiful music coming from outside. They get up out of bed, and quietly walk down the stairs, candle in hand and gaze through the leaded glass window. In the distance they can see something glowing in the woods. They quietly open the front door and walk out into the snowy lawn. As they approach closer, they can see figures dancing in a circle and glowing in a golden light. Suddenly all the trees in the woods begin to sparkle with light. At some point they get too close, because the spirits notice them and disappear. Saddened, the children walk back to the cottage, and as they enter through the front door, they notice a letter laying on a footstool in front of the fireplace. With only the dying fire's light to see by, they manage to read the note which says "A Blessed and Happy Christmas From Your Woodland Friends." Both children go back upstairs and climb into their beds as the clock strikes twelve and the forest sparkles around their cottage. It is now Christmas morning.

Now, if you can listen to this music and imagine the scene I just described, maybe you can associate it with Christmas. The video left me with a very peaceful, but haunted feeling. I wish I knew who produced that video. I saw it several times, but only one year. I've never seen it again.

The following clip is played by The Afflatus Flute Orchestra. In the past I've only heard "Dance of the Blessed Spirits" played using a full orchestra and the flute, and I wasn't too sure if I would like this. But I did. I thought the flute orchestra did an excellent job with this song.

"Dance of the Blessed Spirits" by Christoph Willibald Ritter von Gluck

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0klP1elxE[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 09:25:02 pm »
Somebody just sent me a PM and said they were "baroque" this Christmas!  :laugh:  :laugh:

I am too, almost. Too much Christmas shopping!!  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:08:40 pm »
Nigel Kennedy performs an excerpt of "Winter" (Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, RV 297) from Antonio Vivaldi's "Le Quattro Stagioni" (The Four Seasons) composed in 1723.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8dq9NodWDY[/youtube]

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 11:25:30 pm »
Gloria In Excelsis Deo and Et In Terra Pax from J.S. Bach's Mass in B Minor (BWV 232) composed in 1733.

Helmuth Rilling conducts The Stuttagart Gachinger Kantorei and Bach Collegium.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9apaltyluT4[/youtube]

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 11:29:34 pm »
Somebody just sent me a PM and said they were "baroque" this Christmas!  :laugh:  :laugh:

I am too, almost. Too much Christmas shopping!!  :P

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

Shopping is too much fun!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~