Author Topic: Joshua Bell!  (Read 14965 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Joshua Bell!
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:21:21 am »
Oh, it's my baby!!!

Joshua Bell performs Ludwig van Beethoven's Violin Concerto with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra in Tokyo, Japan.

In this clip, Joshua plays the third movement of the famous Violin Concerto. I can't help but feel jealous when I hear Joshua play. I mean, I WISH I was half as good as he is.

Joshua was named an Indiana Living Legend several years ago. He is from Bloomington, Indiana. Isn't he a cutie?? And he's very talented too!  :D

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ytfIArGt4[/youtube]

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: Joshua Bell!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 04:56:20 am »
I've met Joshua in person Gary. I met him during the summer of 2006 during a CD signing. He comes to Indianapolis quite often. He says he comes here to "reconnect with his roots" or something like that. Anyway, he was signing CDs and I noticed he hugged a few people, including a couple of guys! So, I thought "what the hell. I'll ask for a hug too". There really wasn't much of a line, and he not only signed my CD cover "To David, from your friend Joshua Bell" he gave me a big bear hug when I asked him for one! In fact he acted like it was a total compliment that I asked him to hug me.

I still can't believe I worked up the nerve to ask Joshua for a hug, but I did. And I got my hug too!

Joshua is a sincerely nice guy. Not only have I heard this over and over again from others in the media, I've seen it for myself. He is very down to earth, friendly, sincere and genuine. And he truly loves and appreciates his fans. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:04:42 am »
This violin concerto is very difficult. Josh makes it look very easy, but it's not. I've played this concerto twice over the years and both times I was sweating like a whore in confession the entire time I was up there.

I think this is one of the reasons I admire Josh so much. He always makes it look easy, and I really do think many times it IS easy for him. He's a born natural. :)

And extremely cute too! :D

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:36:23 am »
I came across a couple of rather sexy shots of young Joshua.  I've always heard what a sweetheart his is too David  ;D  So talented, so cute and nice to boot that's terrific

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:59:37 am »
I came across a couple of rather sexy shots of young Joshua.  I've always heard what a sweetheart his is too David  ;D  So talented, so cute and nice to boot that's terrific

He is a sweetheart Dottie! And if you were to meet Josh on the street and you didn't know who he was, you would never know he was famous. He doesn't have a swell head at all. He is very professional, yet also friendly, kind, sincere and genuine. When I asked him for a hug, he just looked up at me with those big bright eyes of his and he said with a broad smile "Sure! Of course I will!" and he jumped up out of his chair and threw open both of his arms.  I mean, how much more genuine can a person get?

He's very professional, but he's also quite childlike and playful, just like Gary said. Thanks for posting those pictures Dottie! :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Joshua Bell played incognito in a Washington, DC subway
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

David - I thought I remembered a thread about Joshua Bell when a friend sent me this link!

I find this social experiment really fascinating.  It's that time of year, of course, when we're reflecting on how we spent our time last year and what we would like to change next year...

Check it out...

I am sad to admit that depending on what was going on in my head, I may not have slowed down enough to realize what I was hearing.

I do tend to stop and listen to musicians when I'm not in a hurry, but that's me and my interest in learning guitar, people, unfamiliar instruments, and of course, the legend of Tracy Chapman getting her start playing in public spaces around here - I think Paul was at school with her, he said once.

???

But all too often, there are things weighing on my mind, or a bus I'm about to miss.  I could have easily blown right past him, oblivious to the talent right in front of me.

::) :-\

Would you have recognized him?  I'll bet!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:25:51 am »
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

David - I thought I remembered a thread about Joshua Bell when a friend sent me this link!

I find this social experiment really fascinating.  It's that time of year, of course, when we're reflecting on how we spent our time last year and what we would like to change next year...

Check it out...

I am sad to admit that depending on what was going on in my head, I may not have slowed down enough to realize what I was hearing.

I do tend to stop and listen to musicians when I'm not in a hurry, but that's me and my interest in learning guitar, people, unfamiliar instruments, and of course, the legend of Tracy Chapman getting her start playing in public spaces around here - I think Paul was at school with her, he said once.

???

But all too often, there are things weighing on my mind, or a bus I'm about to miss.  I could have easily blown right past him, oblivious to the talent right in front of me.

::) :-\

Would you have recognized him?  I'll bet!

LOL!!

I saw the title to this thread and I started wondering if maybe he did it again! haha.

Yeah, I would have recognized him. I met him once. And I even got a quick hug from him, at a CD signing here in town a few years ago. :)

That's an interesting experiment, isn't it?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 11:08:11 pm »
Hi, David.  Miss you!  

I was thinking of you tonight, as I saw your friend Joshua Bell in recital at Symphony Hall in Boston.  

He was truly wonderful.  He played Tartini's "Devil's Trill Sonata", Beethoven's sonata in G major, and also played Stravinsky's "The Fairy's Kiss".  As for encores, he did Tchaikovsky's "Melodie" and also "Polonaise brillante" by  Wieniawski.

He said he was happy to be back in the "greatest of halls".  Boy, the acoustics are fine.  I feel very lucky.