Author Topic: Who are you????? - by idgeet  (Read 16474 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Who are you????? - by idgeet
« on: December 11, 2007, 10:34:54 am »
Who are you?????   
  by idgeet     (Wed Aug 16 2006 17:26:46 )

UPDATED Wed Aug 16 2006 17:51:15
I just got off another thread, and it struck me how I tend to have a picture of a person on this board, and then, bam, I'm totally wrong!!

I hope you don't mind me saything this... and if you do, let me know, and I will erase this thread... but....

watergarden.... I had no inkling you are a senior citizen!
littlewing... I had no idea you were a proud black woman!

So I thought it would be kinda cool to introduce myself and invite you to do the same. I realize some people enjoy the anominity of the internet, but I've been posting with you guys for a bit now, and I think I would get more out of it if I could picture the proper YOU.

I'm 41 years old, a woman, a lesbian, a paralegal with 2 years of law. I've been out since age 14, so I know nothing else. I was born in New York, raised in Florida, and reside in Texas. (I don't like it) My mom passed away 1 year ago in Florida and I didn't want to stay in Florida after that. I tried it here, but want to go back to Boston area when I get on my feet.

I was in the US Air Force as a Russian Linguist back in 1985. I went to school late in life and got my bachelor's degree in public relations. I found out I was smart enough to go to law school, so I did. Two years, but had to have a surgery that didn't go well, and had to quit law school in the third year. I turned the education into a job as a paralegal and am presently searching for that great job.

The only family I have left is a sister, who treats me like crap because of my sexual orientation. She's a rightwing "Christian" who thinks I'm beneath her because I'm gay.

I don't have many friends (none in Texas) and this film and this board has saved me from having no contact with anyone. I love talking to all of you and sharing my thoughts on this film.

This film has affected me and moved me beyond words. I'll keep trying to find the words through this board.

So.... tell me about you if you care to. If not, I understand.

"...later."

Re: Who are you?????   
  by BannerHill     (Wed Aug 16 2006 17:36:26 )   

Me, mid forties, raised in Texas/Oklahoma, live in Santa Monica (Part of Los Angeles, kind of) and work in the film industry. A lot of people assume that BannerHill is is a female name, but I'm not!

Why am I here? This film moved me beyond words. I want to know why. Still working on that, with your help

by tillerman-1     (Wed Aug 16 2006 18:08:33 )

Me- I'm in my mid forties married, female with 3 boys. I live in Canada. I'm a home body and don't travel much. I work part-time.
This is the first movie I have ever seen that has affected me this way.

*BannerHill* I always thought you were a guy. Why would people think BannerHill was a girls name?????

by toycoon      (Wed Aug 16 2006 18:17:48 )

UPDATED Wed Aug 16 2006 19:24:16
I'm a proud, male, 44 years old (I lie and tell people I'm older because then they say," OMG you look fantastic for 49 !" I live in California with my hubbie of 20 years and I design toys for a living.
I have NEVER been obessed with anything except for toys before Brokeback Mountain. One day I plan to design the BBM toy line for adults.

I never thought you were female, BannerHill.
littlewing, I read in a previous post that you are a Black lady.

by Santinos_Bridesmade     (Wed Aug 16 2006 18:16:10 )

The only family I have left is a sister, who treats me like crap because of my sexual orientation. She's a rightwing "Christian" who thinks I'm beneath her because I'm gay.

That's absolute bullsh*t. It just pisses me off so bad to hear things like that.

I'm 16, female, Arab, a vegan, possibly bisexual, aspiring actress, been told I look like a dark Kate Winslet. My personality is very much like Ennis - I don't say much, and when I do, I'm elusive, I mumble and have vocal blockage that no amount of speech therapy can cure. Online, though it's hard to shut me up, lol.

I live in Thief River Falls, Minnesota, been here my whole life, and I hate it, hate it, hate it. This town is so unbearably homophobic and nihilistic. If a gay person were to come to town, I kid not, they'd be lynched in a heartbeat.

I want to go to college in California, a world full of opportunities, as far away from this stupid town as I can get.

"Jack, I swear...."

by littlewing1957     (Wed Aug 16 2006 18:58:55 )   

Me - I'm 49, live in Oakland, Ca, Jack London Gateway Area. As you already know, I'm African American, part Native American. I was born in Oklahoma City but raised here in California. I am a divorced mother of a teenaged daughter (also a serious BBM fan) and I work for the Government in Information Technology. I am totally in love with our film, and I have an idea why. BBM is my all time favorite movie.

Oh and BannerHill, I know you're a guy - have always known, LOL!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Who are you????? - by idgeet
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:27 am »
  by idgeet     (Wed Aug 16 2006 19:24:17 )   

UPDATED Thu Aug 17 2006 17:34:52
This is so amazing! I'm so glad I thought about it. Noone is what I pictured.

Santinos.. I thought you were a guy.. but you're a girl.. and 16!! My god, you are a brilliant 16 year old. I always pictured you older because of the way you can express yourself and in interpreting the film. I can tell you are very intelligent and look forward to reading more of your prose.

Tillerman... I thought you were a guy.

Toycoon... 20 years.. awesome. So you have pretty good insight as to what 20 years was like for Ennis and Jack.

And Diane... 14 years with someone, but living in different states? Did you always live apart? That's hard!!

And Kristin... congrats on your baby, your husband and your degrees!

"...later."

by Santinos_Bridesmade     (Wed Aug 16 2006 19:39:22 )

You thought I was a guy? I always thought Santino's_Bridesmade sounded -rather- feminine, seeing as bridesmades are usually female. 

I'm flattered, though, that you thought I was older than I was. Thanks!!

"Jack, I swear...."

by dly64      (Wed Aug 16 2006 19:42:06 )   

This is so amazing! I'm so glad I thought about it. Noone is what I pictured.

And Diane... 14 years with someone, but living in different states? Did you always live apart? That's hard!!

No, we have not always lived apart. We were in the same state for about nine years of our relationship. But, even then, I was always a secret. It really sucks being so far apart. We had a bit of a row awhile ago (because I thought he was coming up to visit ... but change of plans). Yes ... I actually said, "This is a G** damn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation." And here's the topper .... "I'm not you! I can't make it on a couple of high altitude *beep* once or twice a year!"  He thought I had absolutely lost my mind. He could not figure what in the world I was talking about!

Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em" - Ennis, BBM

by littlewing1957     (Wed Aug 16 2006 20:47:10 )

<<Yes ... I actually said, "This is a G** damn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation." And here's the topper .... "I'm not you! I can't make it on a couple of high altitude *beep* once or twice a year!" He thought I had absolutely lost my mind. He could not figure what in the world I was talking about!>>

LMAO! Diane, you are a woman after my own heart!

by SnickerD     (Thu Aug 17 2006 12:02:29 )

Italian and French from my dads side, Choctaw, English/Irish from my moms side. Youngest of 6, 41 this month and starting my 17 year with my partner (malaysian/Chinese).I was raised on the Mississippi gulf coast (Pass Christian)My mom and siblings, nephews and neices and great Nephs and Neices all still live on the coast. I have lived in Manhattan for just under 20 years. I am a certified chef but prefer to cook at home and not professionaly anymore. I currently work in a hotel as a waiter.(started my 16 year there last May)
Annie Proulx is a regular guest by the way, talked with her on several occasions.(she's skiddish and shy but very nice)

Nice to know Y'all!;^)

Gotta Love *Our* Boys!

by idgeet     (Thu Aug 17 2006 12:12:25 )

hey snickers.. are you female or male?

"...later." 

by SnickerD     (Thu Aug 17 2006 12:14:43 )

Duh!
I guess I forgot a little something! LOL
Gay white male.....

Gotta Love *Our* Boys!

by LauraGigs     (Wed Aug 16 2006 19:12:33 )

UPDATED Wed Aug 16 2006 19:41:07
"I'm 41 years old . . . with 2 years of law . . ."

No sh—, Idgeet? From the sheer enthusiasm with which you write, I figured you were around seventeen! [EDIT] and I mean that in a nice way!

I guess this proves your whole point . . .heehee. 

by daphne7661     (Wed Aug 16 2006 19:58:34 )   

Can I join the introductions?

I'm a female (obviously, by the name); I am 45 years old; I live in Massachusetts; I am a law office manager and legal secretary for a small firm for the past 25 years...

The worst tragedy of my life was losing my oldest brother to liver cancer back in 1990. We were very close/best friends, and, for about 2 or 3 years, I thought I would go insane without him. The grief let up some after that but the loss and hole in my heart is always there. Some days it feels like it was yesterday. Other days, I can't even believe he's gone and some days I just feel him beside me, which makes me smile and feel I can face anything.

I could be wrong, but I think my personal loss is the reason I connect so with BBM...

I love all of you on this board who have bared your souls in the wake of this beautiful film! "Nice to know ya!"

...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar..
  by idgeet     (Wed Aug 16 2006 20:07:20 )   

I actually said, "This is a G** damn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation." And here's the topper .... "I'm not you! I can't make it on a couple of high altitude *beep* once or twice a year!" He thought I had absolutely lost my mind. He could not figure what in the world I was talking about!

Diane... you had me rolling in my bed when I read that! That's friggin hillarious!! I'm still laughing. If anyone could see me right now, they would think I lost my mind!!!

Too funny!

Did I tell too much about myself? I started to read over the thread, and I hope ya'll don't think I'm pathetic spilling so much to folks I don't know.

"...later." 
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 10:46:48 am »

by ZouBEinii      (Wed Aug 16 2006 20:24:52 )

Hi! I'm Larz - 47yo gay white male from Indianapolis IN. Diane, you, David-Indana and I should meet sometime for dinner!
 to a fellow Hoosier.

Idgeet, you make the best threads! No, I think it's very brave of you to share so much. I'm laughing because I "had everyone wrong" on here. Well, except for Diane and Littlewing.  Sorry Santinos - I thought you were older (in a good way of course) and BannerHill, I thought you were a female. Sorry dude.  I've spoken to some of you, but haven't posted very much lately.

I tend to over-use IMDb's icons sometimes  and have worked for the major commuter university in downtown Indy for almost 27 years. I accepted a new position (systems analyst) for the university's new PeopleSoft system in October, though my new office is a sister office of my former employer, so I have worked with many of those folks from my campus and the other 7 campuses for about 22 years.

My hubby of five years died 15 years ago. He was a keeper, and irreplaceable. We were both a mixture of Jack and Ennis.

Kaufman, funny you should say that. I'm watching Donnie Darko (again) at this very moment. I became interested in Jake's other films after having seen his great performances in The Day After Tomorrow and BbM.

Anyway - hi everyone!   

What kind of friend is he? -Bree
The good kind. -Andrew

by watergarden      (Wed Aug 16 2006 21:15:02 )   

Yes, I am a senior citizen (67 to be exact), male, have been married for over thirty years to a wonderful woman who is much smarter than I am, have a son 25 who is also smarter. I live in Hawaii, retired from teaching a year ago. I am originally from Iowa but have been working and living in the Pacifc and Hawaii for over forty years. Before marriage, I had a somewhat complicated but satisfying single life, a major part of which has helped me to understand, embrace, and love the many themes of Brokeback Mountain. I have a lot of free time these days, but I keep busy with pet projects. I do indeed have a water garden, a very big one in fact with three ponds and many, many containers.

by idgeet     (Wed Aug 16 2006 21:18:35 )   

nice to know ya watergarden. you come across as quite the sensitive and intuitive guy. i thought you were a woman because of those traits. i'm glad you have proved me wrong. welcome. and it is good to know you.

"...later." 

by Dobie1018     (Thu Aug 17 2006 06:15:45 )

I am 50, hetero female, born & raised in Connecticut, moved to Florida in 1988 after divorcing in CT; remarried in FL, but that also ended in divorce after 10 years of marriage. I guess I'm just "not the marrying kind"! I don't have any children. I'm very happily living by myself in my own house with my 3 dogs and 2 cats. My dogs are my passion - I have a 4 yr. old Doberman pinscher and 2 Basset hounds. I belong to a local dog training club, and regularly compete with my dogs at dog shows. I also belong to a therapy dog club here in central Florida. Each of my dogs is a "therapy dog", which means that they are certified with a national therapy dog organization, and I take them to greet patients at nursing homes, and rehab centers and to special public service appearances where our dogs are requested. I have been a legal secretary for about 25 years, and work for a law firm now that has 5 attorneys in it. I'd rather not have to work, but the 4-legged hairy "kids" have to eat, and so do I!

Both my parents are deceased - my dad in 1990, and my mom in 2002. I have 3 sisters and 1 brother. Two of my sisters and my brother live in Connecticut, and my other sister & her husband live in Jacksonville, FL. I did have 2 brothers, but one died in 2002. 2002 was a bad year for me - my mom died, my brother died, and my husband moved out of my house.

I love BBM and coming to this board to read the brilliant posts and analogies! It's nice and fun to get to "know" everyone this way! Thanks idgeet for starting this thread!

"I ain't yet had the opportunity."
"Hmmmm. . . . "

[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by an administrator

by littlewing1957     (Thu Aug 17 2006 08:49:13 )   

Basicgrate, I'll try. Please don't be offended by my answers!

Male
gay
white
Lawyer (I don't know why I think this)
Law degree
NYC
Democrat
protestant
single
mom, dad, 3 sibs

by idgeet     (Thu Aug 17 2006 11:21:30 )

okay basicgrate... here's my guess...

female (cause i think the only time you have had an original post is the one about me... so sweet) (and you showed me some maternal instinct with my austin thread)
lesbian
white
teacher
college
Ohio
democrat
jewish
divorced
2 children

Two:
A Real Thinker
Old Brokeback Got Me Good

EVERYONE ELSE: If you play basicgrate's game, great... but please don't forget to tell us about you!!

This was a good idea!!

"...later." 

[Post deleted]   
This message has been deleted by the poster

Re: Who is basicgrate?   
  by afterpreg     (Sat Aug 19 2006 03:47:16 )   

Male
39-43
Gay
Caucasian
Medical doctor or jurist/lawyer
Academic
US, but I don't know where.
DEMOCRAT
Catholic
Single with lots of friends.

I'm curious.

by samrim-1      (Thu Aug 17 2006 06:14:09 )

Hello idgeet,and everyone,

I too am delighted with this thread, indeed I've been grumping recently about this very subject. Reading a post or replying to one is so much easier and more interesting if I've some idea of who I'm reading, young, middle aged, old, male ,female, gay, lesbian, person of colour, it all helps me 'see' the person and it will influence my writing. So thanks idgeet and everyone for the resume!

I'm Sam, I'm 67 and a gay male, I'm not officially 'out', but given my age, single state, and appearance, I guess most people will 'have my number' as we used to say! Even my brothers and sisters, though it's never mentioned! It doesn't bother me now, but did years ago, very much!

I retired from full time office work nine years ago, and promptly started doing part time library work which I love, I'm a jobbing gardener, and I help with our local Hospice secondhand bookshop, here in North Lincolnshire, in the English East Midlands south of the river Humber. The hot weather has broken and the rain is stairrodding down, so that's why I'm here.

Ole Brokeback got me good, and like so many others I don't really know why! Many years ago I fell heavily in love, on my own, maybe that's why I sympathise with Ennis so very much, his life seemed 'set in aspic', not unlike mine. Jack, bless him, did at least seem able to 'move on'. Ennis and I, we just seem, like Gollum, to become more and more set, and stretched like butter spread too thinly on bread!

Must stop, for now at least, I do go on, don't I?

Best Wishes all

Sam

by dly64      (Thu Aug 17 2006 08:10:16 )

Hi! I'm Larz - 47yo gay white male from Indianapolis IN. Diane, you, David-Indana and I should meet sometime for dinner!

Hey Larz … yeah, we should connect. That would be a lot of fun!

My dogs are my passion - I have a 4 yr. old Doberman pinscher and 2 Basset hounds. I belong to a local dog training club, and regularly compete with my dogs at dog shows. I also belong to a therapy dog club here in central Florida. Each of my dogs is a "therapy dog", which means that they are certified with a national therapy dog organization, and I take them to greet patients at nursing homes, and rehab centers and to special public service appearances where our dogs are requested. I have been a legal secretary for about 25 years, and work for a law firm now that has 5 attorneys in it. I'd rather not have to work, but the 4-legged hairy "kids" have to eat, and so do I!

Dobie1018 – How could I have forgotten the love of my life?? I have a five year old crazy wire fox terrier whose name is “Asta.” Love him to death! He is my baby!

It is wonderful everything that you are doing with your dogs. I am afraid Asta would be a bit too keyed to be a therapy dog. But, that is something I had always wanted to do.

I'm Sam, I'm 67 and a gay male, I'm not officially 'out', but given my age, single state, and appearance, I guess most people will 'have my number' as we used to say! Even my brothers and sisters, though it's never mentioned! It doesn't bother me now, but did years ago, very much!

Hey Sam … just thought I would give you a greeting!   

I'm a female (obviously, by the name); I am 45 years old; I live in Massachusetts; I am a law office manager and legal secretary for a small firm for the past 25 years...

The worst tragedy of my life was losing my oldest brother to liver cancer back in 1990. We were very close/best friends, and, for about 2 or 3 years, I thought I would go insane without him. The grief let up some after that but the loss and hole in my heart is always there. Some days it feels like it was yesterday. Other days, I can't even believe he's gone and some days I just feel him beside me, which makes me smile and feel I can face anything.

Daphne – after all this time we have communicated, I had no idea that you lost your brother! I am so sorry. Cancer is THE WORST! Dad died of prostate cancer in 1998. It still hurts and always will.

And … being at the same job for 25 years? Gosh, girl! I have had six different employers since my college graduation in 1987. How do you do it? They must be treating you right ….

Basicgrate

– here are my answers …. (let’s see how close I get )

Female
Straight
White
Occupation – absolutely no idea!
BA
MN
Democratic
Agnostic
Married
2 kids

And for bonus points, which one best describes me:

12. Lively Little Gal/Guy

Okay … how far off base am I?

Diane

by daphne7661     (Thu Aug 17 2006 08:15:58 )   

Hi Diane,

Yes, I miss my brother terribly... Thank you for your kind words!

"25 years....DAMN!" Yup, I do love my job and my boss. If it weren't for him, I would have moved on long ago, but he is just so easy to work for, and we have become friends in the interim...

...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

by kdough1     (Thu Aug 17 2006 09:20:35 )

Hi everyone! I'm usually a lurker on this board but occasionally I post so I'll jump in. I'm a single, straight, 39 y/o female and I live in the Chicago area. I've never been so obsessed with a movie in my life so I love coming to hang out on this board. I became aware of so much more of the symbolism, etc. in this movie thanks to you guys. You all have some really intelligent observations. Well, back to lurking. Nice to get to know more about all of you!

by matt-2044     (Thu Aug 17 2006 09:17:52 )

UPDATED Thu Aug 17 2006 09:18:09
I'm a 32 year old gay male from London, UK.

I work in politics (but am a nice guy honest).

I came out when I was 25.

This film has affected me and moved me beyond words. I'll keep trying to find the words through this board

So very, very true.

This film has made me re-evauate my life.

[Post deleted]   

by LauraGigs     (Thu Aug 17 2006 09:44:23 )

So glad to meet all you cool folks! I've been here since Feb, have stayed through the troll invasions and attrition, and am glad you guys have come (and stayed)!

Me:

- 38 (oh crap, already a mistake.) I just turned 39!! Yuck!!
- Female, married 2 years.
- Had an apt in Boulder but couldn't afford a house in that cool city, so it's Colorado suburbs for me (sigh).
- Originally a Southerner (can't believe I now write and say "you guys" — ugh.) But glad to live with scenery similar to BBM!
- I do graphic/web design and play music.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 11:01:51 am »
  by tillerman-1     (Thu Aug 17 2006 11:16:56 )

Basicgrate:
Here are my guesses.

Male/female--- Male
young/old-even specify age---39(but close to turning 40)
Orientation---straight
Race/color/ethnic origins---white
Occupation---office working with computers
Education---University at least
Location--- Western Canada (Alberta?)
Politics---Liberal
Religion---None
Single/married/divorce/seperated---Seperated
Family--- 2 kids,boy and a girl

Add for bonus points,which one best describes me:
4.Real thinker there.

by littlewing1957     (Thu Aug 17 2006 11:01:44 )

<<46 year old Brit - living in San Francisco for last six years. Prior to that, London.>>

Nice to meet you, Meanderingtrevor. I love reading your posts.

[Post deleted]   

[Post deleted]   

by jshaffer54     (Thu Aug 17 2006 13:12:20 )

This thread is a wonderful idea. I don't chat online much, and it's great to know something about everyone.
I am a 35 year old woman from Syracuse NY, married for almost eleven years. I have a 7 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. I'm a registered nurse at a local hospital, and I am working on my bachelor's degree in nursing as well. I've lived in New York my entire life. I always thought I wanted to move South at some point, but I'm starting to rethink that after reading about the homophobia and close mindedness that exists there.
I don't visit a lot of message boards. I was drawn to this one for the same reason most were, BBM affected me very deeply and I wanted to know if I was losing my mind or if there were others who felt the way I did. You have no idea how relieved I was to find other people who feel the same way I do.
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions and insights on this board about this amazing movie.

"Love is a Force of Nature"

by BannerHill     (Thu Aug 17 2006 14:40:35 )

<<I was drawn to this one for the same reason most were, BBM affected me very deeply and I wanted to know if I was losing my mind or if there were others who felt the way I did.>>

I'm glad youre here, jshaffer.

by samrim-1      (Thu Aug 17 2006 15:56:54 )

Hello jshaffer54 (give us a name!)
Delighted to read your comment, welcome to the BBM Club
Now that I know I'm not dotty, (or at least the only dotty one!) I'm really pleased to be part of our club. Like you I honestly don't know why ole Brokeback has got me so good, but I do love it, and 'our' boys. Annie Proulx penned a story about great love, which some of us are lucky enough to have, but which others of us can only dream about. The dream seems to have opened all sorts of doors in our heads. I'm certainly not the same as I was before BBM, and I delight in it.
Your mention of nursing resonates, last week I met my friend Sue in London for a few days, she's a neonatal nurse at Truro Hospital in Cornwall (England) and is another 'Brokie'. she saw it at the multiplex in Truro and was blown away by it. She said there was a guy in the cinema, so distraught by the film that she nearly went to offer medical help!

Sam

by jshaffer54     (Thu Aug 17 2006 16:13:32 )

Thanks BannerHill and Sam. My first name is Jennifer, but everyone calls me Jenn.

by littlewing1957     (Thu Aug 17 2006 16:17:37 )

<<My first name is Jennifer, but everyone calls me Jenn.>>

Nice to meet you, Jenn!

by jshaffer54     (Thu Aug 17 2006 16:18:44 )

Nice to meet you too littlewing.

by djo-17     (Thu Aug 17 2006 16:26:39 )

UPDATED Thu Aug 17 2006 16:50:25
To idgeet: I hope I won't surprise you. I'm "29" years old with about an extra 24 years of life-experience. Straight, single, and at times very opinionated especially when people are ignorant, and insensitive to others' feelings. I especially get upset about people who offer their UNINFORMED opinions about BROKEBACK, but haven't made the slightest effort to see it. This movie has had a huge impact on me, and obviously so many others. I will never "quit" this film, and will defend it, and everyone involved with the story, from book to screen. I also defend anyone's right to express their sincere love for another human being in which ever way they choose,as long as it is mutual, and no one is deliberately either physically or emotionally abused in any way.

"You won't get much sleep, I'll tell you that." "Yup."

Doug O'Connor

by daphne7661     (Thu Aug 17 2006 16:31:51 )

I also defend anyone's right to express their sincere love for another human being in which ever way they choose,as long as it is mutual, and no one is deliberately either physically or emotionally abused in any way.

"You won't get much sleep, I'll tell you that." "Yup."

I always like your posts, Doug, and now, having read the above, I like you, too. Those are my sentiments exactly...

by littlewing1957     (Thu Aug 17 2006 16:32:41 )   

<<This movie has had a huge impact on me, and obviously so many others. I will never "quit" this film, and will defend it, and everyone involved with the story, from book to screen. I also defend anyone's right to express their sincere love for another human being in which ever way they choose,as long as it is mutual, and no one is deliberately either physically or emotionally abused in any way.>>

Djo9449, I have always wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts, and am glad to finally have the opportunity. Well, I guess I could have sent you a PM, LOL! Anyway, you're a good man, an unusual man, and I'm glad you're here with us.

by idgeet     (Thu Aug 17 2006 17:41:58 )   

lauragig... thanks for the mention: "No sh&#8212;, Idgeet? From the sheer enthusiasm with which you write, I figured you were around seventeen! [EDIT] and I mean that in a nice way!" I would have said something sooner, but I missed it.

welcome doug!!

kdough... welcome. don't lurk!! join us!!

EVERYONE: Thanks for sharing!!

"...later." 

by balrog_ressurected_again      (Thu Aug 17 2006 18:00:22 )   

Gay guy living in southern New England. Computer geek, snowboarder, hardcore road bicyclist. Play amateur hockey, acceptable figure skater.

I love old cars, old houses, and things historical, as well as travel, languages, other cultures. I'm a decent guitarist and can get a tune out of a bagpipe.

Musical interests - Southern Rock, Texas Blues, Acid Rock, Jazz/Blues fusion. (complete contempt for rap)

Literary interests - Science fiction, Historical Dramas.

Staunch Republican conservative.

Age? Well the 37th anniversary of Woodstock has been the last 3 days. (Aug 15,16,17, 1969)

Begone trolls...

by idgeet     (Thu Aug 17 2006 18:05:36 )   

hey balrog... welcome! you're quite the well-rounded kinda guy. you have a lot of interests. i like that.

only thing... you got a shorter name we could go by????

"...later." 

[Post deleted]   

by balrog_ressurected_again      (Thu Aug 17 2006 18:26:40 )   

well I've been kicked off IMDb 3 times now. Hence the 'resurected,,,again'

And hence my sig.

Begone trolls...

by super-sally     (Fri Aug 18 2006 03:17:17 )

My name is Sally and I live in country Australia. I am 13 years old. Brokeback Mountain is my favourite movie (of all time) (isn't it all of ours?) (yeah i know, obvious question) (you're all thinking 'duh!')

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 11:03:25 am »
Staunch Republican conservative?   
  by toycoon      (Fri Aug 18 2006 07:13:42 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
My brother is one of those, too. Balrog, I though we was gonna have a pot party!

"And forgive us our tresspasses..."

idgeet- how clever of you to start this thread.
Re: Staunch Republican conservative?   
  by balrog_ressurected_again      (Fri Aug 18 2006 08:28:03 )   
***My brother is one of those...I though we was gonna have a pot party! ***

What? You don't think Republicans like to partake of the Ganja?

Since when does political afiliation have anything to do with getting toasted?

Begone trolls...

[Post deleted]   
Staunch Republican conservative.   
  by toycoon      (Sat Aug 19 2006 12:29:43 )   
That's my new code word for stoner!

Thanks, balrog.
[Post deleted]   
  by littlewing1957     (Fri Aug 18 2006 08:48:56 )   
Nice to meet you, Afterpreg! Welcome!
[Post deleted]   
  by babyblue007     (Fri Aug 18 2006 09:18:36 )   
hello ^-^ i was invited to this thread once i posted a question on this movie... i'm a girl, going to be 18 tomorrow and am straight. i'm attending my first year of college with a major in media arts and hope to be making movies someday... i live in new jersey though i want to move up to vermont once i graduate just because it is so peaceful looking. and if things don't work out there, then i can move to massachusetts becuase it looks amazing there as well. i've been a fan of heath ledger's since i first saw him doing press for the patriot way back when when i was like 11 and i've stuck with him being the first in line for every movie i could see. although many thought that this movie might be a disaster when it was first announced, i welcomed the idea with open arms and when i finally saw it two days ago i was completely floored by his performance. he is destined for such great things and i am so happy for him. and he's not the only one since the rest of the cast and crew went above and beyond in making this movie. like i said in the previous post, this is a movie that has touched me like no other and i'm still thinking about it two days later. i'm glad to hear that so many others think the same. my family and friends don't really understand the big fuss over this movie so it's nice to see that other people know what i'm talking about :)

by berit-6     (Fri Aug 18 2006 12:46:21 )   
I'm sorry to have written on your thread uninvited, I didn't know I had to have one. i have deleted my earlier messages. Have a nice day.
[Post deleted]   
  by idgeet     (Fri Aug 18 2006 17:02:17 )   
berit-6...

come back!!! you absolutely don't need an invite. come back and tell us again who you are. i'll send you a pm as well to tell you this!!

where in the world did you hear that?

"...later." 
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Fri Aug 18 2006 16:58:25
  by idgeet     (Fri Aug 18 2006 17:06:56 )   
hey giancarlo... yea, i was 14, in 9th grade. i got some crazy stories... i'll write about them at another time though. welcome. what city do you live in now??? curious.

"...later." 
[Post deleted]   
  by AdryanBri      (Fri Aug 18 2006 18:43:16 )   
I'm 17 years old, male, and gay. I live with my sister and boyfriend of three years in New Mexico. I dye my hair a lot.

This is where the world drops off
  by idgeet     (Fri Aug 18 2006 19:20:54 )   
you mean you have a boyfriend of three years?? that would mean you got together when you were 14??? wow. i'm impressed. do you mind if i ask where your parents are? it kinda sounds like ennis.

"...later." 
[Post deleted]   
  by idgeet     (Fri Aug 18 2006 19:39:46 )   
is any of us close???

"...later." 
[Post deleted]   
  by AdryanBri      (Fri Aug 18 2006 19:51:45 )   
My mama died when I was 7 and my dad lives close by, soon to be closer by, with my step-mom. They're cool with me being gay, but I moved out after I graduated because a) I wanted to, and b) they wanted me to so they could spend more time on themselves without having to worry about taking care of a kid. Which they more than deserve.

This is where the world drops off
  by idgeet     (Fri Aug 18 2006 19:56:42 )   
hey bannerhill... i read on another thread that you bought a farm. curious... if you don't mind answering... are you gay or straight? family??

"...later." 
  by BannerHill     (Fri Aug 18 2006 22:27:10 )   
Idgeet I sent you a PM did you get it?
  by stachybotrys     (Sat Aug 19 2006 00:02:02 )   
UPDATED Sat Aug 19 2006 00:03:21
30 years old, straight, white male. Christian and very much accepting of gays. I am very happy to read all of these nice posts. This is a great movie!
  by lestatika_any     (Sat Aug 19 2006 00:38:35 )   
I'm 17, female, European, and well.. never knew exactly what i wanted from myself or others... i'm a bit confused right now, about me and the path i'm going to take, but i guess this movie helped me a lot...
the story moved me like nothing else, though i've been having my harsh days with mom because of it. she's the ultra-Christian kind of woman and with her daughter being gay - accepter (and maybe even a little bi), u can all guess what resulted... not that i care
  by lestatika_any     (Sat Aug 19 2006 04:20:36 )   
forgot to say... my name's Anna

Rock Angel
  by posworth6     (Sun Aug 20 2006 07:07:39 )   
15 year old bisexual girl from the good ol' UK...hello! My name's Ros (with an S, not a Z. It pisses me off no end when people get it wrong. I'm just picky like that.)

I'm really glad I found this board because NO ONE else I know feels the same as me about Brokeback Mountain; my friends are kinda homophobic (not massively, they're just a bit uncomfortable with the whole idea) and don't want to see it. No one else I know who has seen the film has been hit by the emotional impact of the thing, for some reason.

So I'm glad I have other Brokaholics like you to talk to. :D

Tell her nothing, if not this...

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 11:04:10 am »
  by sicnarf60     (Sun Aug 20 2006 09:10:18 )   
Idgeet - this was a really good idea. I'm a 51 year old straight female. Divorced, with two adult children. I'm from Toronto, Canada. I work in corrections and this film has affected me beyond words also. I keep trying to figure out why so I keep watching it and then I wonder why it's affected me so much and then I watch it and then .....
  by dly64      (Sun Aug 20 2006 09:51:14 )   
I am really enjoying this discussion and seeing the diversity of the respondents whether the person is female, male, white, black (or any other race), religion, gay or straight, older or younger, etc. Where we are united is in our love for this film. And, although this film has impacted all us, it has stayed with us for various different and personal reasons. When was the last time (if ever) you heard of a film that has done this?

I wanted to respond to you, Anna … your note hit me:

I'm 17, female, European, and well.. never knew exactly what i wanted from myself or others... i'm a bit confused right now, about me and the path i'm going to take, but i guess this movie helped me a lot...
the story moved me like nothing else, though i've been having my harsh days with mom because of it. she's the ultra-Christian kind of woman and with her daughter being gay - accepter (and maybe even a little bi), u can all guess what resulted... not that i care

First thing I wanted to say is that being 17 is a confusing time of your life, anyway. I admire that you are exploring your thoughts and feelings even though it may be uncomfortable at times to do this. I think my 17-year-old nephew is gay. I worry for him because my brother is very homophobic and has a disgusting habit of calling gays *beep* … which makes me LIVID! I am hopeful that my nephew will find someone with whom he would be comfortable sharing his sexual identity issues. (I am open to talking with him about it. But, being that I am a straight female, I don’t know that he would.) I hope you have found a supportive person to help you process your feelings, too!

As for your mom being “ultra-Christian” … I can only imagine the stress that this is causing. If it makes you feel any better, my mom (my dad has passed away) is a staunch Christian, and I can’t tell her that I lost my virginity when I was 21! (I am now 42 and still single. I can’t imagine she thinks I am still a virgin, but … denial is a powerful thing … ). What I am trying to say, and not very eloquently, is that you are not alone.

Diane

[Post deleted]   
  by watergarden      (Sun Aug 20 2006 14:32:48 )   
Shucks, I just lost my status as the oldest.
  by idgeet     (Sun Aug 20 2006 15:23:59 )   
WRONG(cause i think the only time you have had an original post is the one about me... so sweet) (and you showed me some maternal instinct with my austin thread)
WRONG 43
WRONG lesbian
WRONG white
WRONG teacher
college
WRONG Ohio
WRONG democrat
WRONG jewish
WRONG divorced
WRONG 2 children

Two:
Real Thinker
Old Brokeback Got Me Good

hmmmm... all i got right was that you're educated! too funny. glad to know more about you. yep... looks like he's older than you are watergarden. go figure.

sure am glad i started this thread!

"...later." 
  by dly64      (Sun Aug 20 2006 16:12:43 )   
OMG! Basicgrate ... did I miss the boat or what? LOL! I was thinking I was communicating with a 30ish something Agnostic female. How far off base is that!?

Diane

by jrtjazz111083     (Sun Aug 20 2006 18:12:11 )   
UPDATED Mon Aug 21 2006 07:03:01
just one point i'd thought i'd make basicgrate-74 years old-funny how he speaks (types) how a teenager would speak,

i just find it funny that a 74 year old man would resort to childish namecalling,i smell a rat either that or tea and biscuits.
  by idgeet     (Sun Aug 20 2006 18:19:05 )   
no rats here. basicgrate is what he says he is. lets not get nasty k?

"...later." 
  by jrtjazz111083     (Sun Aug 20 2006 18:24:35 )   
i'm not the nasty one, i was expressing my opinion in another thread and i got called names by this man, which was uncalled for

by littlewing1957     (Mon Aug 21 2006 10:10:21 )   
UPDATED Mon Aug 21 2006 10:10:54
Hey Basicgrate, I came close, didn't I?
[Post deleted]   
  by Clyde-B     (Sun Aug 20 2006 20:23:01 )   
Where do you start with a question like this?

Well, I'm a GWM. If you ask me my age, I'll tell you I'm 39, but on my last birthday one of my friends asked me, "How many times does that make now?" (Don't ask, but Jack, Ennis, and I all came out about the same time.)

I was born in a small Midwest town and raised to be pretty much like Ennis. When I finally admitted to myself who I was, I decided that if I wanted any kind of life, (and not wind up dead), I should move to a bigger city, and that's what I did.

My longest relationship was with a divorced ex-Marine DI. We lived together almost 20 years until he died of cancer a few years back.
  by idgeet     (Sun Aug 20 2006 20:28:43 )   
hey Clyde!!!!!!! you made it!!! glad you did!

too bad you didn't know ennis... maybe you could have convinced him to move to a bigger city with our jack!

seriously, though, i'm sorry for the loss of your love.

thanks for giving us some insight into you.

"...later." 
  by lestatika_any     (Sun Aug 20 2006 22:29:52 )   
dly64, thank you for the beautiful words you've written. sorry i couldn't answer faster, but i wasn't in town.
about your nephew and his dad, well ... i think it's rather the same thing with me and ma'...he obviously needs someone 2 talk 2 and it would be great if he found a person he could trust (dunno, try to make him understand you're there for him)
i'm lucky though to have dad around. he understands me and he's no homophobe either... <3 i also had my best friend but now she's gone to college so it's only my dad for now...
mom lives in a world of her own. she's really pis*ed off i've decided to go to become a diplomat (i want to go and work in our embassy in Finland, my dream since i was 7 or so)and she tries to convince me to become something else... anything else but that. probably only an actress would be worse. life is life...
thank you again, and i'm really glad i could find some people who understand me and share my fascination for this gorgeous movie. this made my day(s)

Rock Angel
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Mon Aug 21 2006 09:56:51
  by jrtjazz111083     (Mon Aug 21 2006 02:32:17 )   
basicgrate wrote: "I actually hope that jrt does not see BBM. I fear his reaction would be borne out of his entering bias; thus" 74 year old's talk like this lol, you are one of a kind.

yes i will never see this (as i already stated) just like i will never see an episode of queer as folk,i like many poeple on this message board don't like the sight of grown men kissing each other, simple as.

[Post deleted]   
  by idgeet     (Sun Aug 20 2006 23:12:43 )   
no need basicgrate... the integrity of the thread is not threatened by your post. don't worry about it. i say we just ignore the bad posts, and keep going. whadda ya say?

"...later." 

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 11:05:12 am »
[Post deleted]   
  by littlewing1957     (Mon Aug 21 2006 10:12:29 )   
Nice to meet you, Clyde-B
[Post deleted]   
  by littlewing1957     (Mon Aug 21 2006 13:57:54 )   
UPDATED Mon Aug 21 2006 14:01:27
<<It's funny, most people thought no religion and democrat and kids. I wonder why? Do I send out a certain vibe?>>

Hard to say. I just guessed from reading your posts that you are a professional, a doctor, lawyer, engineer, one of those three, or all of them. But nationality? Are you American?

I sure had fun guessing. Thanks for answering!
  by idgeet     (Mon Aug 21 2006 15:17:48 )   
it was fun playing and i got one right.... i suck so i'm glad i started this thread cause it has been an education. it really does help to know the basics of a person while you're opening up on here!!

"...later." 
  by littlewing1957     (Mon Aug 21 2006 15:32:03 )   
<<it was fun playing and i got one right.... i suck so i'm glad i started this thread cause it has been an education. it really does help to know the basics of a person while you're opening up on here!!>>

LOL! I did get about half of them right. It does help to know a little bit about the person you're "talking" to. Great thread, idgeet.
  by Katness      (Mon Aug 21 2006 06:27:18 )   
UPDATED Mon Aug 21 2006 06:29:49
Me, I'm 21 turning 22 in about two weeks. Was raised in Sydney, Australia and moved to the Blue Mountains with one of my older sisters. My parents still live in Sydney but they are moving closer to me as there is nothing to hold onto in sydney anymore. Ummmmm I'm possibly lesbian but I'm keeping it open for now. Although identifying as lesbian makes me feel whole. My sister (who I live with whose name is Helly) knows I prefer women and treats me no different. My parents know too and they don't treat me any different either, and I'll leave it at that because I feel like I'm repeating myself. If I am let me know so I can edit.

If I wanted to hear from an ****hole, then I'd fart.
  by drjdm319     (Mon Aug 21 2006 06:40:50 )   
Nice idea for a thread....
I am Filipino (i guess i am the only asian here, so far), male, married, physician (hence the DR in drjdm), 49 years old (turning 50 on march 19, hence the 319.
I am a DVD enthusiast so I don't go to cinemas much but just wait for movies to make their appearances on DVD and user comments like all of yours are helpful to me. Thanks.
  by jedi_padawan_411     (Mon Aug 21 2006 06:54:29 )   
Ok...well..I'm 15 and a half, female (straight). I was born in Moscow, Russia but I've lived practically my whole life in California (ver close to LA actually). I'm bilingual (Rusian and English I'm learning Spanish now as wel so on my way to a tri-lingual...lol).
Physical apearance...umm...brown hair (kinda curly), black eyes, not exactly short but not tall whatsoever.
School...I'm headed into my sophomore year with all the possible honors/AP classes except for math (I'm no good at it *sigh*)
As for other stuff...I'm a huge SW fan! A big HURAY for Anakin Skywalker/Hayden Christensen!
I just got a chance to watch BBM this summer and I absolutely fell in love with it! I'm actualy thinking of joining the Gay/Straight alliance club at school I guess I've got a rights activist somewhere in me...lol.
  by idgeet     (Mon Aug 21 2006 08:09:05 )   
UPDATED Mon Aug 21 2006 08:11:29
jedi...

zdrastvyetya (spelled phoenetically)

"...later." 
  by jedi_padawan_411     (Mon Aug 21 2006 08:54:32 )   
idgeet ,

Privet!

Lol. That's a shorter way to say hello.
Oh and you can just call me Alley, BTW :)
  by oilgun     (Tue Aug 22 2006 09:59:47 )   
I'm a gay male from a mostly French-Canadian background (some Blackfoot on my mother's side) who's about to turn 50 in Oct.. (Scorpio monkey boy here). I came out at 19 in the seventies while in college where I trained in graphic design. I worked in that field for several years and eventually ended up in architectural drafting, interior design & project management. (Which I probably will be stuck doing for the rest of my life having been rather financially irresponsible, lol!) I miraculously survived the plague relatively un-touched. I've had 3 serious relationships, the last & longest of which was for 11 years. It went sour over a decade ago and I've been happily single ever since.

Politically, I tend to be way left of centre. I was raised catholic but rejected those beliefs early on and am now an atheist. In the last year I've discovered the benefits of mindfulness meditation so I try to meditate on a daily basis.

I love movies and enjoy many genres but tend to prefer character-driven films. BbM has affected me more than any other film and for reasons that I'm still trying to figure out.

Checking out someone's DVD collection is always revealing so here's mine: http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=14510367

"I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle."KoH
  by The_Crying_Clown     (Tue Aug 22 2006 10:39:19 )   
UPDATED Tue Aug 22 2006 10:40:15
A big applause and wow to all of the posts. Nice to see that Brokies come from all walks of life!

I'm Jessica, female, born, raised and currently reside in in Northridge California. I'm 20 years old and I am currently enrolled at UCLA and I hope to double major in English and History. I know that I may not post here much, I'm more of a lurker, but I have read so many insightful posts and all I can say is WOW!

I want to go to college in California, a world full of opportunities, as far away from this stupid town as I can get.

Hey SB! Why doncha apply over here for uni! The campus is VERY diverse. I had my orientation yesterday and I think it is something you might enjoy, so many enlightened people from all walks of life!

What we do in life echoes in eternity

Brokeback Joker 2008!
  by idgeet     (Tue Aug 22 2006 10:42:35 )   
hey oilcan...

thanks for filling us in about you. i did check out your movie list and i too loved "A Home at the End of the World." good to know you oilcan.

"...later." 
  by Deathly-Sirius-Obsessive     (Tue Aug 22 2006 14:25:05 )   
I'm a white british 13 year old lesbian from Middlesbrough, in the UK. I'm terrified of coming out to my parents because I'm pretty sure they'll disown me or something. 

I'm a pretty outgoing person, but I get shy very easily. 
I guess I'm a cross between Ennis and Jack. I can be moody one minute and cheerful the next. But I only really blow my top if things aren't fair for other people. I get angry and blow up when someone is homophobic in front of me too.   

BBM has totally transformed my life. It is the most powerful movie in many years and at the moment I am addicted to it. But it is also a very depressing movie and each time I watch it I'm sad for hours, even days afterwards.

The kids Will be fine. I left the limo window cracked. ~ Karen Walker.
  by alley_41196     (Tue Aug 22 2006 14:39:46 )   
hey, BoysKissingBoys :) Nice to meet you.

I'm a pretty outgoing person, but I get shy very easily
I guess I'm a cross between Ennis and Jack. I can be moody one minute and cheerful the next. But I only really blow my top if things aren't fair for other people. I get angry and blow up when someone is homophobic in front of me too.

Ha that's exactly how I am!
  by Deathly-Sirius-Obsessive     (Tue Aug 22 2006 14:51:20 )   
Nice to meet you too! 

The kids Will be fine. I left the limo window cracked. ~ Karen Walker.
  by idgeet     (Tue Aug 22 2006 17:51:57 )   
oilgun... my apologies. i won't get it wrong again!! hi and thanks for the compliment!

hey boyskissingboys. i had to say hi since we have so much in common. (not the shyness) i was 14 when i came out. (it wasn't by choice) i had a crush on a 12th grader. i was in 9th grade. we used to pass notes and my mother found the notes Kathy gave me. oops. the rest, as they say, is history.

stay strong. it'll evenutally all work out. it may take a while, but stay true to yourself, and you'll be okay.

welcome.

"...later." 
  by Deathly-Sirius-Obsessive     (Tue Aug 22 2006 18:00:19 )   
i was in 9th grade. we used to pass notes and my mother found the notes Kathy gave me.

Ouch.  What was you're mother's reaction?

The kids will be fine. I left the limo window cracked. ~ Karen Walker.
  by oilgun     (Tue Aug 22 2006 14:35:04 )   
good to know you oilcan.

You got the name almost right but good to know you too. I've enjoyed reading your posts, your enthusiasm is contagious. I've been visiting this board for almost a year now so I don't post as often as I used to.
Anyway, a belated welcome to you!

"I once fought two days with an arrow through my testicle."KoH
[Post deleted]   

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 11:06:07 am »
  by alley_41196     (Tue Aug 22 2006 14:41:30 )   
I'e posted this earlier but I was logged into my Jedi_padawan account so I'll just repost it.

Ok...well..I'm 15 and a half, female (straight). I was born in Moscow, Russia but I've lived practically my whole life in California (ver close to LA actually). I'm bilingual (Rusian and English I'm learning Spanish now as wel so on my way to a tri-lingual...lol).
Physical apearance...umm...brown hair (kinda curly), black eyes, not exactly short but not tall whatsoever.
School...I'm headed into my sophomore year with all the possible honors/AP classes except for math (I'm no good at it *sigh*)
As for other stuff...I'm a huge SW fan! A big HURAY for Anakin Skywalker/Hayden Christensen!
I just got a chance to watch BBM this summer and I absolutely fell in love with it! I'm actualy thinking of joining the Gay/Straight alliance club at school I guess I've got a rights activist somewhere in me...lol.

by momoro     (Tue Aug 22 2006 18:23:49 )   
Hi, idgeet--

I am thirty-nine years old, a single gay white man, a native Texan born in the Dallas-Fort Worth area but resident in the capital city of Austin since the age of six (in 1973). I live with my sister (my only sibling), who is three and a half years older than me, and our three cats. I am out to my family, and most of my family accept me and love as I am.

I am a graduate of The University of Texas at Austin, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in English in 1990. Since that year, I have been steadily employed by the library system of that same university. Altogether I've been at this institution since 1985!

I first saw Brokeback Mountain on February 18th, the eve of my thirty-ninth birthday anniversary. It overwhelmed me emotionally, more so than any other film I have ever experienced. Ennis and Jack have come to feel like real people to me, and have become enshrined in my heart like no other fictional characters I know. This is a film that I think will resonate for me for the rest of my life. My life and my spirit have been immeasurably enriched by my exposure to this haunting story, and by my interaction with all the remarkable people this film has brought together, both on this board and elsewhere.

Anything else you might want to know, that I might have left out, just let me know. So glad you found your way here. And incidentally, today is author Annie Proulx's birthday anniversary. She turns seventy-one years young today!

Nothing compares, I think, when thinking right, to a good friend.
  by idgeet     (Wed Aug 23 2006 18:45:29 )   
we need to get together momoro... would you like to chat sometime???

"...later." 
You bet!   
  by momoro     (Wed Aug 23 2006 19:46:24 )   
Just drop me a line (PM) sometime. Gotta run for now--you take care.

Nothing compares, I think, when thinking right, to a good friend.
  by Clyde-B     (Wed Aug 23 2006 04:43:15 )   
bump
  by ilnbnblm     (Thu Aug 24 2006 11:50:57 )   
I should thank for the thread "it sucks" by a guy(or maybe a girl) from Portugal. samrim-1 mentioned this thread there and so here am I.

Before I got here I've see through "it sucks" literally and I'm happy that it's most about some reasonable discussion and happier that it take me here. I'm from China and I can't read too much Englich once (otherwise I'll be dizzy). So I just browsed through this thread and found out I'm the first chinese here. What's a shame.

I'm a 25-year-old gay guy. and bachelor in engineer. Single and still looking for a job now. I think I'm an agonistic. If I'll be a religious man someday, Buddhism is the most possible choice.

Brokeback mountain does get me good. My favorite films so far. I relate to it so much that I was addited to it for a pretty long time. I wander around the board a lot since I watched it. Just I don't post very often because of my defect in English.

Things here in China are pretty much like America in it's 60s, or 70s I guess. Although it's not illegal to be gay and it's not a mental illness anymore and there's no one will go to such extreme to kill some gay guy out of hatred or horror, it's still difficult and oppressed. People are mostly closeminded and homophobic. It will be a disaster to let parents know, which I can't even imagine. So, I'm still not out yet, which is a shame. The fact is, everyday most gay guys live in disguise, some of them even got married against their own wills just to make their parents happy. As to me, I really don't know what I'm gonna do about it in the future.

So I can relate to Ennis a lot for his self-hatred or denial, and I understand why Ennis behaviour like that. In some ways, I thinks Ennis is very cowboyish, and very Chinese at the same time. Also I empathize Jack a lot because I have felt for somebody before and I know what it's like to search for something I'll never get. I'm also sure lots of gay guys in China are just like Ennis and Jack. You really love each other and you really don't think there's a way out. It's just like once you start a relationship, you start to prepare for its end. It's very sad and I even feel lucky that my English is so poor that I can't elaborate what the condition is really like and how bad I often feel.

By the way, I'm a big fan of Ang lee. I like the nuances in the film and the way Ang Lee makes silence talk. After BbM, I found Heath can actually act. And what's more, after BbM I actually begin to think western guys hot, I mean, really hot, not just a well-shpaed body or a fancy face, etc.... Yeah, I love them a lot.

At last, I'll make a wish here. I hope it will come ture someday in my life that I can watch BbM on big screen in China, with my sweetheart together. It will mean a lot to me.

Cheers again for the thread.

P.S. Woops, it's exhausting for me to express myself in English. Don't be too harsh and so is it.
  by BannerHill     (Thu Aug 24 2006 12:04:37 )   
<<It's very sad and I even feel lucky that my English is so poor that I can't elaborate what the condition is really like and how bad I often feel.>>

Welcome, ilnbn!
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Thu Aug 24 2006 21:35:57
Re: Ni hao   
  by ilnbnblm     (Thu Aug 24 2006 13:58:29 )   
UPDATED Thu Aug 24 2006 14:11:05
nihao, CaseyCornelius, thanks for your understanding.

Glad to hear you have been to China. I'm presently in Hangzhou and I've been here for several years. It's a beautifuly city, especially the West Lake (xihu), it's fascinating. The longer I stay in Hangzhou, the more difficlut for me to leave. And of course, the other cities are also great choices for you, which either are beautiful in scenes or have lots of historical resorts. I hope you've had a good time there.

In China, homosexuality is not regraded as a mental illness since April, 2001, as I know. It's not surpurising that you can't find appropriate people to talk about gay issues. Most gay guys hid themselves in closets and most straight ones often overlook there's a group of persons who are into the same sex exist around them. As you have said, there's still a lot of work to do.

As to the books and film of BbM, I agree with you. And here is something more about it. As we know, there's no Rate System on motion pictures in China yet .Which means, once a film was shown in theater, everyone could go to watch it and there's no limit or control on who the audience are or how old they're. I'd rather say Bbm the film was not imported into China and the Rate System is the point. (the censorship on films will imported 20 foreign movies each year, mostly from Hollywood. Pirates of the Caribbean II is not on the list this year and I don't know why. PotC I did screen in China in that year. People like me need more choices than that and hate the cesorship assign some specific films for us. So piracy are all over here and I'm a frequent buyer. I know piracy is some kind of crime and the authority also oprress it frequntly, but I can't help it. Also I'll go to theater as long as the film interest me enough and it's on the list, such as superman returns, Garfild2, Mi3 this year. And X3 will be on screen in Sep. which I've waited for a long time and meanwhile I have to resist the tempt from some internet pirate version. It's not so easy for us to be a movie fan here, ha).

On the other hand, I'll also adimit even if the Bbm film is a Chinese film, it still will not be allowed to screen in China. Once China has its own Rate System and there's more foreign films a year, things will be better, I think. Well, the government should be blamed also, of course. But I think it has its own dilemma. If BbM really got on screen, lots of people will be irritated and most of the parents will be confused. There's much acceptance to be work out, just as you said. People here just can't take it too quickly, some of them even don't have the concept of homosexuality here after all. As to copies of the book, it's another story. Maybe it's because people can read a novel in its original version (English or some other foreign languages) are relatively well educated and openminded, and the government don't take it as a problem. Actually, recently once a year some representative sends a bill to the people's council trying to make the marriage between the same gender legal, which just don't got passed yet.

Speaking of books, I'm planing to buy a chinese version of <beauty of the lines>. If it's not available, the original version will work too, even I know I will not appreciate it very well. The only problem of books in Foreign Languages bookstore is its price. They are often sevel times more expensive than the chinese version because they are often priced on $.

Hope I express myself OK and so you can get some useful information. Happy to meet you here.

zaijian, ^_^
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Thu Aug 24 2006 21:33:47
  by support-168     (Wed Sep 13 2006 06:51:30 )   
I am 46 years old chinese woman with two kids. I have been through the emotional journey since January especially the first three month. Your english is much better than my and don't feel shy to post here. Good luck to your job searching and the best wish.

by Santinos_Bridesmade     (Thu Aug 24 2006 16:59:23 )   
I had heard about homosexuality recently [4 years ago?] no longer being officially regarded as a mental illness in China.

There are no words

"Jack, I swear...."
I am PizzicatoFishCrouch ...   
  by PizzicatoFishCrouch     (Thu Aug 24 2006 12:15:27 )   
Everyone's favourite 16-year-old, ambitious, bratty, batty pseudo-pseudo-cinephile with a heart of silver. And 8 A*s and 4 As at GCSE!  (Who loves Peter Crouch & Maths.)

http://mysticdollarredemption.blogspot.com
[Post deleted]   
  by karan-13      (Fri Aug 25 2006 15:50:34 )   
Hey There!,
Great Thread idgeet,it is great the images you get of people in your heads. I`m Karan early Thirties { in age not actions }i`ve been on here for a while now , but tend to sit back more now and read others Threads , i live in Birmingham England and have two girls , i live with my boyfriend of six years , and hope he`s the one.
He is not the Birth father of my girls , but is Dad to them. I have gone through many hard and low times in my life and movies have been my escapisum for years. I never judge people on their sexuality , and i have always classed myself as someone who falls in love with someone , up untill now it has been with men , but who knows , if in years to come i felt this attraction towards a woman i would go with it .Society is obsessed with putting us in little boxes and sticking a label on love , i hate it.

Apart from all that i am lively cheeky , completely crazy , and love Johnny Depp and Jake G . I love horror movies also and i admit to collecting movie figures { i`ve a lovely Jason x} i drink Cider by the barrel and get thrown of stages in Gay clubs for knowing every lyric to every AbbA song { from my Dads record collection , you understand }. I adore this movie and it has stolen my heart , and mind , as i`m sure it has everyone else , great to read all your stories , i have tried Bettermost but still like it better here . xxxKaz

"Hide The Rum" Captain Jack Sparrow
  by idgeet     (Sat Aug 26 2006 01:04:05 )   
hello karan... good to meet you.

Great Thread idgeet...

thank you very much for the compliment.

I have gone through many hard and low times in my life and movies have been my escapisum for years.

you and i have a few things in common. movies as an escape is one of those things. i have seen... seriously... a friggin lot of movies. thousands. when i lived in florida... i had gotten and "amc" card.. which gives you 2 points for each ticket you buy. once i had 1100 points, and i, 99 percent of time, go to the movies alone. and it was only one of 4 theaters in town. however, i don't do horror very often.

i want to write more but will do it tomorrow. cause i am exhausted.

bye for now.

"...later." 
[Post deleted]   
  by CowboysInLove     (Sat Aug 26 2006 19:31:14 )   
bump
  by karan-13      (Sun Aug 27 2006 04:57:50 )   
Thanks idgeet,
Most of the time i also go alone to the cinema , partly cause i like to watch everything , and cause i like to escape and become absorbed in the picture. I remember when The Libertine opened i had the whole screen to myself , i felt like i was some rich person sitting watching in their own private theatre , it was great, of course when i told people they teased me for weeks , saying i`m crazy and should maybe change my perfume !

With Horror movies it`s great , i remember when i was younger out dating , the guy would always suggest a horror { good excuse for me to fall scared into his arms } `WRONG` i would usually have the guy looking away , as i have yet to find anything that scares me. xx kaz

"Hide The Rum" Captain Jack Sparrow

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 11:06:57 am »
  by idgeet     (Sun Aug 27 2006 21:31:08 )   
hey karan

i'm back.

i'm glad you don't judge people on their sexuality. because alot of people do. i like your openess when it comes to the possibilty of falling for a woman someday. cause one really never knows. well... some of us know... but if i happend to fall for a guy, i wouldn't beat myself up either. i don't think it would happen, but who really knows.

yeah, johhny depp is a great actor. i'm not "hot" for him of course, but i think is incredibly talented. i really enjoyed Libertine myself.

i'm with you. many have told me about bettermost, and perhaps someday i'll go over there more permanently, but i really like this board alot more. it's not too big, and i love alot of our discussions. i won't leave until i'm not getting back from it.

take care...

"...later." 
  by jshaffer54     (Mon Aug 28 2006 18:18:05 )   
Bump.

"LOVE IS A FORCE OF NATURE"
[Post deleted]   
  by CowboysInLove     (Sun Sep 3 2006 00:29:16 )   
bump
  by jshaffer54     (Tue Sep 5 2006 11:40:06 )   
Bump.
  by tenacious_D_     (Tue Sep 5 2006 17:22:12 )   
I'm a 15-year-old gay male from New Brunswick, Canada. I've known that I'm gay for about two and a half years now, but I've only told my best friend. I keep setting deadlines for myself to do it, but I can never bring myself to do it. "I'll do it over the summer vacation, when everyone's together and relaxed" was the last one. Now that I'm back to school, I don't know what I'll do. My dad is really conservative and my mom is really religeous, even so, I think she will take it better than him.
This movie really helped me come to terms with myself, and it was nice because my friend, Sascha, whom I came out to, suggested we see it together in theatres (although I told my parents I was going to see Curious George).

------------------------------------
Have you found Jesus yet?
Warning! Warning!   
  by toycoon      (Tue Sep 5 2006 18:43:43 )   
UPDATED Wed Sep 6 2006 06:55:48
Dear tenacious D,
I'll tell you the same I told to my little brother when he wanted to come out to the folks:
Do not come out to your parents until you finish school.
Your sexuality is actually none of your parents business. It really is nobody's business but yours. Be discreet, don't answer any questions and don't explain. If your parents are cool enough to deal with that knowledge, they probably already know.
Re: Bump   
  by CowboysInLove     (Fri Sep 8 2006 22:43:02 )   
Bump
  by malina-5     (Wed Sep 13 2006 00:14:35 )   
I finally got around to reading this thread!
Actually I'm kind of glad I waited until after I formed impressions of people from reading their posts.
Is it too late to join in?
I'm 37 (in two weeks), I have a 14 year old daughter, I was born in Croatia, live in Vancouver, BC, I ghostwrite for a living, I have a big black dog. This is kind of hard, actually. Bare facts make me shy.. unlike spilling my guts as I have on other threads, go figure.
Hi everyone.
  by Teabiscuit     (Wed Sep 13 2006 04:16:01 )   
Female, 18, in Scotland. Been horse riding since I was 8 and have my own horse, live with my parents and little sister, and I'm going to study law at university (next week!!!).

And Brokeback is my favourite film of all time.

There are two things I will not tolerate: ignorance and intolerance!
  by dottypants     (Wed Sep 13 2006 05:09:47 )   
Hi i'm Laura
I'm 13
I'm streight
I live in London England
I have a boyfriend called alex
I'm in 9th Grade
I want to be and actress or just work in movies
My favorite subjects in school are English and Drama
My Favourite movies are Brokeback Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean
I love Jake Gyllenhaal and JOhnny Depp
I'm still trying to persuade my friends to watch Brokeback

Jack Sparrow + Jar of Dirt = True Love
  by Mystical_lonewolf     (Wed Sep 13 2006 07:24:04 )   
I'm a 24 year old Bisexual male who's been living in Arizona for about ten years. i am born in California and have had traveled to few different states while growing up.

I don't really have a lot of friends, but that is pretty much because i always have my head in the clouds. I never dated, because i figured no one likes me that way. I can be wrong, but like i said, i live my head in the clouds.

I'm lazy and lack motivation, however that can change because I'm planning on going to community college for computer programming, computer graphics, creative writing, and literature. I'm currently learning japanese by myself.

I've also been kicked out of my apartment and ;living with my folks for short while. the reason why i was kicked out is but my own family buisness.

I have an Irish, german, French, and English blood heritage in me. But i do sometimes wondered if i ever had any other blood line some how?

Well, that's it about me.

It's jenova's friggin head!
S.I.E.F and D.I.D.F!
  by littlewing1957     (Wed Sep 13 2006 08:25:08 )   
<<I'm a 24 year old Bisexual male who's been living in Arizona for about ten years. i am born in California and have had traveled to few different states while growing up.>>

How did I get the idea that you are Japanese and living in Japan? You're working on a screenplay, right?
  by Mystical_lonewolf     (Wed Sep 13 2006 16:15:20 )   
well i have been very interested in japan, i even learned so much about it. but i will one day travel there.

It's jenova's friggin head!
S.I.E.F and D.I.D.F!
  by dav0001     (Wed Sep 13 2006 18:09:08 )   

Well, my turn. I'm David, 52, Live in Los Angeles, have also lived in NYC and San Fransisco. I've been involved in a kind of unusual profession. I'm a roller derby skater. Still at it until we can come up with enough younger skaters to take over for us veteran skaters. I'm 100% gay, came out at somewhere around 18 years old, have a lesbian younger sister. Have never had much problem with it partly because of living mainly in cities that are pretty accepting of it. Had a few bashing incidents through the years but fortunately not too many.
Because of being out so long I've seen alot and I alternate between being tolerent of things and people and getting rather fed up and frustrated with things. Being bipolar it's easy to switch back and forth like that.
Nice to meet you all.
  by CD_one     (Thu Sep 21 2006 04:07:46 )   
I'm a 34 year old straight female living down under in the great Aussie land.
[Post deleted]   
  by dottypants     (Thu Sep 14 2006 01:33:48 )   
haha i love ur signature i love bubble boy =)

Jack Sparrow + Jar of Dirt = True Love
  by jshaffer54     (Sun Sep 17 2006 10:55:05 )   
Bump.

by jshaffer54     (Thu Sep 21 2006 03:50:29 )   
Bump.

by androphile     (Thu Sep 21 2006 22:56:30 )   
Sorry to be so late doing this. I'm 43 (born back in summer a 1963!), grew up in Maine, now live in greater Boston. Professional classical musician (organist and pianist), male, gay, single and tired of it. Live with one cat.
  by pockethankie      (Thu Sep 21 2006 23:51:30 )   
UPDATED Thu Sep 21 2006 23:54:26
40 something plus female with a significant other. I live on the west coast and am a bibliophile of the first order. Books are my passion. I use to post here a lot under another ID and actually know a few of you folks quite well, like Balrog and BannerHill but I had some really unpleasant experiences and prefer to keep the rest of my info private for that reason. But I am very glad to have been here on the BBM board for the last year and have met lots of really incredible folks and read a ton of incredible & insightful posts. Hi  everyone.

It's in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped
  by Perriwinkle_smiles     (Sun Sep 24 2006 20:09:33 )   
I am a 19 year old hetero female. I haven't been on this board for very long but I do recognize a few names (I'm not sure how many of them will recognize me, though). I live on the west coast. I love acting, writing, watching good movies, and hanging out with my friends. I hope to some day become an actress. Hello to all! :)

I absolutely love BBM, as most here do.

*~Let It Be~*
  by HolloBath     (Mon Sep 25 2006 09:23:15 )   
UPDATED Mon Sep 25 2006 09:24:41
I'm a bit of a lurker on these boards but I love them I thought I'd reply -
I'm 15 years old, female and Scottish through and through! First watched Brokeback just before the summer and have seen it many times since. I'm straight, though to be honest I think some of my friends think I'm gay because
I'm not really into the whole boyfriend thing that much (at least not the boys in my school) I enjoy acting but doubt I will ever get round to doing it or anything else for a living. Looks wise I'm a tall blonde which does mean that I get judged a lot, however the people that know me realise that I'm a lot more intelligent than they would have thought. Unfortunately it means less to me that my friends know that and I have always wished that I'd had brown hair so I would be taken more seriously. I'm very sarcastic, but Brokeback Mountain really makes my smile and is one of the very few films EVER that I've cried at. First time I watched I preferred Jack, but the second time I really preferred Ennis -strong and silent is hot!- though I guess I like both characters equally. I do know a guy my age that loves this film which I think is great, though a bit unusual and I wish more people were like him and didn't judge it as 'that gay cowboy movie'

'Oh goody'
  by littlewing1957     (Mon Sep 25 2006 09:45:41 )   
Good to meet you, HelloBath!
  by idgeet     (Mon Sep 25 2006 19:57:44 )   
hi sll. it's been a while, but i'm really excited that this thread took off the way it did.

i have to ask.. pockethankie... what's a bilbliophile? i'm sure it's got to be about books.. but what exactly? i love books myself.... i have a 600 hard cover library. and i wouldn't trade any of them for anything.

back to the thread... i'm a tad upset. i got a private message from someone who wrote "not nice" things about me being a "dyke" and such. initially i wanted to must give up the board.. but i decided i wouldn't let an ingnorant human chase me away. instead i think i'll share what they said...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hello friend! I heard you're a dyke. Well let me tell you that is NOT okay. I know people have been mean to you your whole life because of it, and they are alright with doing that, because YOU are the deviant. Just because you have support in a message board made up of othelonely deviants does NOT validate the way you live your life. You will answer to Jesus one day. You will not be forgiven, your sister was right. Stop abusing humanity by being a lesbian, it is not okay. Shame on you.

i'm sorry.. i should be used to it, but it pisses me off just the same.

"...later." 
  by pockethankie      (Mon Sep 25 2006 21:32:57 )   
bibliophile = book lover....I may have made a typo in the original post and misspelled it.  I have over 1000 books myself on a wide variety of subjects. They are like old friends to me, that you can revisit again and again and I love the feel of a book in my hands. You can travel anywhere, be anything, experience anything and you never have to leave home to do it. All my free time and discretionary income is spend on books, I come the thrift stores, library sales, garage sales looking for bargains. I got a First Edition of The Shipping News by Annie Proulx for $3.00 at the Friends of the Library book sale not too long ago...someone slipped up, lucky me.

Really sorry that some ignorant, arrogant, mean-spirited self righteous person felt it was OK to sent you that PM idgeet. I got a bunch like that with some comments about my children in them, then my son got one or two so I'm staying very private these days..we closed our old accounts and are keeping a low profile.

It's in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped
  by malina-5     (Mon Sep 25 2006 21:50:26 )   
idgeet..

We need you back on the boards. I was so happy tonight to see you were back. I understand your discouragement (as you said on another thread, sorry i can't remember which one) with some of the discussions that have been going on here lately. I want us to get back to the good stuff.

I'm glad you decided to share the message instead of leaving the boards.

<<i'm sorry.. i should be used to it, but it pisses me off just the same.>>

nothing at all to be sorry for. And no, you shouldn't be used to it. And it pisses me off too, greatly.

anyway, good to see you back.

malina
[Post deleted]   

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 11:07:38 am »
  by jshaffer54     (Sat Sep 30 2006 20:06:33 )   
Bump.

[Post deleted]   
  by xdreamfly     (Sun Oct 8 2006 17:07:43 )   
Hey, all; idgeet, great thread, what does your board name mean, by the way? I think by looking at all different people we have here we can safely say that we are all human and film reached out to the humanity in us, and I'm very greatful for that; I don't think I had a heartache like that after I watched the film (about 4 times now, first time only a week ago) since my last rite of passage when I was 21 and broke up with my girlfriend of four years (she was the only female I loved in my life, we truly fall in love with people, imho). Malina, I like your posts too on other threads, you are serious about the film, and quite analytical; you know, in Russian "malina" means "raspberry" =) I love ClancyPants analyses as well;

About me: I am 24 year old female; born in Belarus (one of the republics of former USSR) and came to U.S. when I was 14, i'm fully literate in both Russian and English, and enjoy reading books and watching films in a native language (think Dostoyevsky "Brothers Karamazov" or "Idiot"); I now am a junior in university in NYC majoring in Natural Sciences (although most of my co-students are pre-med, I have no intention of going to med school, want to teach science in high school; maybe get Ph.D. in genetics, we'll see); my hobby: drawing portraits (I was an art major at first...), I'm facinated by people, and thus like portrature alot.

My post is kinda abrupt, but oh, well; nice to meet you all =)
  by idgeet     (Tue Oct 17 2006 01:59:13 )   
hi everyone.... how's it going?

miss me?

I MISS EVERYONE!!!!!!

thanks malina for the sweet words.

also... xdreamfly... it is quite cool how we are all from different backgrounds... cut from different cloths...yet come together here on this board!

"...later." 
  by idgeet     (Tue Nov 7 2006 00:25:41 )   
my board name, idgeet, is one of my favorite movie characters. idgee threadgood from fried green tomatoes.

"...later." 
  by shortfic     (Tue Oct 17 2006 11:06:02 )   
I am a hetero female, in my early 40s, in California, single, employed.

"Say thank you, Gilbert. Say thank you."
[Post deleted]   
  by dav0001     (Tue Oct 17 2006 19:20:33 )   

I would have to say that possibly the one line of your post that is true would be..if I don't know something I make it up. Also I'm sure that anyone who reads your post will agree that this time you were, as you put it "caught out".
[Post deleted]   
UPDATED Wed Oct 18 2006 11:16:25
  by dav0001     (Wed Oct 18 2006 21:32:25 )   

I don't really think it's necessary to explain other then to say some of the things you wrote are so beyond belief anyone reading it would think you're making them up, as do I.
[Post deleted]   
  by ncwoman     (Tue Nov 7 2006 11:28:26 )   
Hi everyone! Just found this thread. Great to know who everyone is!

I am 52, a Caucasian straight female, live in coastal North Carolina, divorced 7 years ago after 17 years of marriage, no kids, pet mom to an adorable white 3-year old American Bulldog/terrier mix named Powder, and work 2 jobs - full time as an administrator in a commercial construction firm, part time at a local restaurant. People tell me all the time I don’t look or act my age, and I feel as if I’m about 25! Both my parents are still living, and I have one younger sister and a niece and nephew. I am a Democrat, attend church regularly, and believe that love doesn’t know age, color or gender.

Eight years ago, I had my own BBM-like situation. I fell deeply in love with someone 12 years my junior. He and I had been friends and co-workers for a year and a half, and he was there for me when my marriage broke up, as a friend. But it gradually deepened into something else and he and I spent one summer together in our own idealistic world before he returned to the Midwest to complete his master’s degree. I never expected to hear from him again after he left, but he kept in touch with me sporadically by letter, email and phone, which kept the fires smoldering. In the meantime he married. Five years after we parted ways, he contacted me out of the blue to tell me his marriage was over. We re-established our friendship, and at his invitation I flew west to visit him, and it literally was like we had never been apart and the feelings, and the attraction, were just as intense as they had been the first summer we were together. That week was magical, and we made plans for me to move out west to be with him. We carried on a long-distance relationship that was difficult but seemed to be moving forward. Seven months later, he ended it abruptly and cancelled our plans. I never really knew why, and in hindsight I think he contacted me on the rebound after the breakup of his marriage and his feelings for me after that reunion were about as real as powdered eggs. I haven’t spoken to him in 3 years, but I still remember the intensity of that relationship and honestly don’t think I’ll ever feel as deeply for anyone else as I did him. I truly believe he was the love of my life, even though it didn’t work out.

So even though there are some differences – not the least of which he and I are both still alive! – you can see why BBM touched me on such a deep level. I could so relate to the story of lost, all-consuming love. And to top it off, I am now an official Gyllenhaalic! (Daphne, don’t you agree??) This film moved me, on so many levels, like no film has ever done.

Idgeet, I had a feeling that your name came from Idgee in Fried Green Tomatoes! Loved the movie, but the book was even better, IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for listening and it’s great to meet everybody!

Ole' Brokeback has got me good...
  by daphne7661     (Tue Nov 7 2006 12:26:42 )   
Glad to see you on this thread, ncwoman! We are now official BBM soul sisters, and I'm glad I have another partner in crime (along with Diane and littlewing) on the Jake front. Yes, alas, I have been inflicted with the Gyllenhaalic bug I'm afraid... Not a damn thing I can do about it either and I really - REALLY - need to get over it!!! It's killing me... Sweetly killing me, but killing me nonetheless!!!

Anyway, see you around the boards!!!

by ncwoman     (Tue Nov 7 2006 12:44:34 )   
UPDATED Tue Nov 7 2006 13:19:34
Yes, alas, I have been inflicted with the Gyllenhaalic bug I'm afraid... Not a damn thing I can do about it either and I really - REALLY - need to get over it!!! It's killing me... Sweetly killing me, but killing me nonetheless!!!

<nodding head fiercely> Oh yeah, Daphne, right there with ya darlin'!

Let's see, in the last 2 weeks, I have:
Rented "Proof", and bought it.
Rented "October Sky", have ordered it.
Rented "The Good Girl", have ordered it (even tho our darling fella dies in that one too...boo hoo....it has a great bed scene in it with Jennifer A)
Printed out a collage of photos of our guy and it is now in a collage frame sitting on one of the dressers in my bedroom.

Yeah, you could say I'm totally obsessed. My God, who can help it? This young man is amazingly talented and one of the most gorgeous men I've ever had the fortune to clap eyes on. Not to mention he's politically liberal, loves coffee and dogs, and seems to be so down to earth. I am counting the days until "Zodiac" is released!

by littlewing1957     (Tue Nov 7 2006 12:59:03 )   
<<Yeah, you could say I'm totally obsessed. My God, who can help it? This young man is amazingly talented and one of the most gorgeous men I've ever had the fortune to clap eyes on. Not to mention he's politically liberal, loves coffee and dogs, and seems to be so down to earth. I am counting the days until "Zodiac" is released!>>

Oh, so true. I am at the point where I can't even look at him, I get so excited. I read this somewhere, and although it is a bit cheesy, it certainly sums up my feelings,

Jake, Jake..
what is your spell to make
The heart in my breast
Jump. stop. shake."

I'm dang near 50 years old and I'm salivating over and posting poetry in praise of a man young enough to be my son! But I'm having fun 

by daphne7661     (Tue Nov 7 2006 13:03:49 )   
Jake, Jake..
The heart in my breast
Jump. stop. shake."

Oh, I LOVE THIS, littlewing.... It's so true.

I am getting worried about myself, though. The spell keeps getting worse and worse each day. I can't hardly concentrate sometimes...

Damn It!!!

by ncwoman     (Tue Nov 7 2006 16:37:22 )   
UPDATED Tue Nov 7 2006 17:08:47
Jake, Jake..
The heart in my breast
Jump. stop. shake.

Oh, littlewing, that is just beautiful. Glad to know I'm not the only 50-something woman who's got a thing for Jake G!

I am getting worried about myself, though. The spell keeps getting worse and worse each day. I can't hardly concentrate sometimes

All kidding aside, Daphne, I'm a little worried about myself as well. Right now I joke about it, but I'm just as under his spell as I was the first time I saw BBM, and as you said, it's getting worse. It's a credit to him, though, that he has fans of all ages, of both sexes. I've read that he really seems to appreciate his fans and usually stops to sign autographs. This young man is gonna go far, and I'm right there in the front row cheering him on.

BTW, I also love looking at Heath. Bought my own copies of Casanova and A Knight's Tale (have you seen that? Heath dances and sings, both very well, I might add!). I also can't wait to see "Candy".

Ah, me....who would have thought I'd wind up acting like a silly schoolgirl over a young Hollywood hunk with the equivalent of fan posters in my bedroom at my age??? Life is weird sometimes.

Thank God I've found kindred spirits on this board! Check out the following link, if you haven't already: http://www.iheartjake.com

You need to set up a free account to access fully the pics, but OMG you won't regret it! Most of the pics I have on my slideshow screensaver came from that site, and there are some great reprints of magazine articles and interviews, including Jake describing his first kiss (in eighth grade) and his first sexual experience (he was 15). The site is very respectful and is well-run.

by littlewing1957     (Tue Nov 7 2006 17:46:38 )   
<<Oh, littlewing, that is just beautiful. Glad to know I'm not the only 50-something woman who's got a thing for Jake G!>>

You're not the only one, ncwoman! It seems there are a lot of "middle aged" chicks who are nuts about Jake.
  by littlewing1957     (Tue Nov 7 2006 17:38:55 )   
<<I am getting worried about myself, though. The spell keeps getting worse and worse each day. I can't hardly concentrate sometimes...>>

That's okay, Daphne. You saw something you liked..a lot. It is really easy to be taken with someone who is so sexy and yet so sweet. I think your reaction is quite natural. 

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:08:24 am »
  by ka_baerchen     (Tue Nov 7 2006 15:26:14 )

I'm very surpised to see that most of the people around here seem to be between 40 and 50. I thought most of you are between 20-30, like I am. 24 years old...

Are younger ones not interested in the movie, or do they simply not like it? I got the impression that the trolls around here are generally younger ones. Or maybe they got better things to do than sticking around here...how uplifting...

[Post deleted]   

by nylatinguy3000     (Wed Nov 8 2006 13:07:46 )

UPDATED Wed Nov 8 2006 13:27:52
Hi !! (I'm really glad someone made a thread like this)

I'm an 18 years old, a guy (duh!), and gay. Most of my friends know about me, but I'm assuming my parents don't; if they do know, they definately haven't mentioned it to me.

I'm currently enrolled in a community college ONLY cause I didn't really want to attend any, but my mom forced me to be concerned with my future and I caved. I'm studying to be a nurse because I don't think I have it in me to spend the rest of my childhood in academics. I recieved the Advanced Regents Diploma from high school, so I'm not an idiot.

Going through high school was just crap: I hated every minute of it. I got my A's and B's, but they were only for my parents: They meant nothing to me. They were only hollow awards to get by. I could've gone to any college I chose, but refused to fill any applications, Stduent Aid forms, etc., and it seemed like I had dug a pretty deep hole, so Community College was it for me.

What I really want to be is an actor or a writer.I'm only getting my nursing degree so that if neither of these two career choices works for me, Nursing is a darn good fall back plan.

I tell my family I want to be a nurse, I get praised. I then tell them I might want to be a writer or actor as well, they say: Stick with the nursing.

I saw this movie with a guy I had chatted online with for a few weeks; it took him awhile to ask me out. He was 18, I was a brand new 17 yr old. His name was Spiro (He was Greek; hence the weird name). We ended the night making out in his car, which took me completely by surprise cause it was our first date AND our first day actually meeting face to face. It didn't last too long... I think it's becuase we said 'I Love You' way too soon, and when you say that, there isn't really much to look forward to (unless we were going to move in together or get married...er... I mean 'Civil-Unionized.') I was still in high school, he was going to college. PLUS, he lived in New Jersey, and I'm a New York kid. Distance-wise, it was pretty foolish. I'm way too much of a romantic, so getting caught up in what I thought was an ideal relationship made come crashing down really hard, making me realize 'Love' isn't a 1hr and 45 min deal. I'm still pretty naive, getting blinded and ignoring reality when I think I'm in love. All i know is, If i get a boyfriend, he'll definately be sexually satisfied.

I'm pretty darn slim, weighing 105, and I'm 5'7". I have black hair and dark brown eyes. I get all my clothes at Aeropostale and Old Navy; I'm a big vintage shirt and sweater/torn and faded jeans type guy. I'm not the stereotypical 'overly flamboyant' gay guy type; I'm a 'me.'

My mom is Peruvian, but there is also some Austrian and Chinese mixed in so I'm pretty ethnic. I never met my biological father, all I know is that he was an abusive alcoholic and my mother was better off without him. She got remarried and now we're a happy family living in our nice quite city with our own 3 floor house and,literally, a white picket fence.

by Shasta254     (Wed Nov 8 2006 17:34:09 )

I'm pretty darn slim, weighing 105, and I'm 5'7".

You need to eat more, sugar! Do you not have much of an appetite?

Good luck with nursing school!

by WerePaintingTheRosesRed     (Wed Nov 8 2006 13:55:04 )   

I'm 15, bisexual, and despite the misleading (well, on one count anyway)username I'm female, but one of my favourite songs is "Mr Monotony" as sung by Judy Garland in Easter Parade. I'm an avid Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe fan, and I'm watching Liza M in concert next year with my mum (can't wait*pulls excited face*)

I'm a terrible person to be friends with, as I'm paranoid, clingy, overanalyse everything, sarcastic, bitchy and awkward.

I grew up paranoid about my teeth so my life at primary consisted of teachers and staff members constantly telling me to smile, and now at secondary they do too, so that phrase pisses me off the most (that and "I'm not being funny but...". The best way to make me hate you is to say "smile it might never happen" haha.

I don't really want to post this because noone cares really, but what the hell, I've spent ages typing this (I'm a terrible typer my fingers slip sideways)

Cake or Death?

by Shasta254     (Wed Nov 8 2006 17:31:31 )   

I'm a terrible person to be friends with, as I'm paranoid, clingy, overanalyse everything, sarcastic, bitchy and awkward.

MrMonotony--It takes a lot of courage and insight to be able to realize the negative things about yourself. Cool. When you know what's wrong---you are able to work on it.
[Post deleted]   
  by varietyofgreen     (Sun Nov 12 2006 13:04:25 )   
Hi, everyone!

Idgeet, thank you for the thread. Being myself not a frequent poster on this board but definitely a frequent visitor since February, I have always wondered who the posters are.
Quite interesting, many people’s current or future occupation turned out to be in the field of law -). I am a lawyer myself, graduated two years ago, work in-house in Moscow, Russia. Female, 25.
Idgeet, Xdreamfly and alley41196, privet! Rada znakomstvu.
Idgeet, I would be very interested to learn what a Russian Linguist does in US Air Force (forgive my ignorance, I have a few fairly wild guesses, but no real idea) and how you got to learn Russian. Xdreamfly, I very much liked your posts on other threads and would have never imagined you had Belorussian/Russian cultural background. I loved NYC as a tourist and hope it is a nice place to live in.
Also wanted to greet and wish all the best to ilnbnblm! I am not sure if homosexuality was ever considered a mental illness in Russia, it was in fact considered a crime until May 1993. With Moscow and StPete supposedly being the exceptions, the situation in general is very similar to what ilnbnblm described for China. ((

I love our movie and wish to thank everyone for sharing their analyses, opinions and personal stories.

by idgeet     (Sun Nov 12 2006 21:14:14 )   
Idgeet, I would be very interested to learn what a Russian Linguist does in US Air Force (forgive my ignorance, I have a few fairly wild guesses, but no real idea) and how you got to learn Russian. Xdreamfly, I very much liked your posts on other threads and would have never imagined you had Belorussian/Russian cultural background.

a russian linguist... a spy. i listened in on satellite dish converstations of the russian military might be having on the phone. i didn't know russian before. after basic training... i went to linguist school where there was four students per teachers. at the time, the teachers were defectors. very interesting stories. had a top secret clearance... which prevented me from visiting the soviet union seven years from time time i got out of the air force. unfortunately, after that time passed i no longer had the means to go visit the country.

thanks for the interest.

"...later." 
  by xdreamfly     (Sun Nov 12 2006 21:46:54 )   
Hey, varietyofgreen! Wow, you are the one who catalyzed Clancy's realization of sacrificial love theme in the film, right? And Clancy's subsequent analysis and patient dialogue helped me realize that too, so I'm very greatful to both of you for that.

You wrote: "I am a lawyer myself, graduated two years ago, work in-house in Moscow, Russia. Female, 25.
Idgeet, Xdreamfly and alley41196, privet! Rada znakomstvu."

Vzaimno!!

You probably saw BBM in Moscow, tell us, how did people react to the film? You know, I'm thinking be it 20 years ago and that masterpiece (BBM) would have never made it to our ex-communist country... Sexuality was a taboo topic, let alone homosexuality...it was unheard of...

by jshaffer54     (Tue Nov 14 2006 08:57:40 )   
Bump.

by insane-romantic     (Tue Nov 14 2006 12:56:00 )   
Hey, I'm Emma, im 15 years old, straight, female and I live in Southampton in England. I guess I'm pretty young so not much has happened in my life! I am going to college next year....looking forward to that. Nice to meet y'all!

"Thank you, Captain Obvious!"
[Post deleted]   
[Post deleted]   
  by berit-6     (Fri Dec 1 2006 14:45:50 )   
bumpbumpbumpbump
  by sadif     (Sat Dec 2 2006 12:39:26 )   
insane-romantic: You're going to college at the age of 16?
Hi! I'm new here, I just saw BBM taday, and it was amazing... I'm 14, straigth, I live in Hungary(Europe) and I think a lot. I don't have much to say about myself, because nothing happened in my life yet that's worth mentioning.
  by ednbarby     (Fri Dec 1 2006 19:03:21 )   
UPDATED Fri Dec 1 2006 19:14:25
Lessee... I'm 41, white, female (not too many boys named Barb, I guess), straight, married for 16 years, and have an almost 5-year-old son. I have dark blonde hair (now nicely highlighted with "silver"), hazel eyes, am 5'7" tall and am of average weight, for what it's worth.

I grew up in Western New York, moved to Ohio after college (I have a BA in Computer Science and English) for my first job as a technical writer, met my husband while there, then moved here to South Florida 13 years ago almost to the day. I loathe Florida for the most part, since I'm a bleeding heart liberal and it's getting redder here by the second. Plus I'm one of those goofballs who loves the cold, or who at least doesn't mind it. But my husband's job brought us here and I owed him one, so here I am.

I first saw Brokeback in January. That first viewing just left me - numb - and curiously unable to articulate what it was I had just seen. The second one two weeks later reduced me to such uncontrollable weeping in the theater that the lovely young man seated next to me (a stranger) put his arm around me during the credits and gave me a big brotherly hug to try to help me feel better.

The loss of my mother has been the biggest tragedy of my life. She died of a sudden heart attack at the age of 60 while alone in her home. She was the best friend I've ever had - my other self - the only person who has ever loved me utterly unconditionally. I could tell her anything and did. We were so close, we would sit and watch movies we loved together on HBO (there were no videos in the late 70s and early 80s) holding hands the whole time, then talk about them for hours afterwards, even if we'd seen them multiple times. We'd listen to music we both loved the same way. Losing her was like losing my right arm. So like you, Diane, I think I relate to the movie so much mostly because of that and also because of one or two ghosts in my childhood closet that make me uniquely suited to understand Ennis completely.

It's lovely to be back here amongst friends. I was one of the pioneers back in January, then the trolls got utterly out of control and most of us got out with what was left of our beleaguered psyches.

Oh, and I'm a hopeless Gyllenhaalic. Damn you and those eyes and lips and voice of yours! ;)

Crap. I really intended to keep this short. The best-laid plans...

~ Barb
  by idgeet     (Fri Dec 1 2006 19:58:36 )   
hey barb...

i am blown away...

keep reading, and you'll understand why...

we have alot in common. (with one exception... you have a husband.. i never will - lol)
i too am 41 years old.
female
i too left due to trolls... but am back with the new surge of interest since the release on hbo
i grew up in florida... and also loathe most of it
i'm a goofball who loves the cold
i saw brokeback in january
i too was that out-of-control weeper

but most importantly, i lost my mother last year when she died suddenly as well.. at the age of 63. she used to always tell me... "you may not realize it yet... but i'm the best friend you'll ever have." i used to say "mom..." like i was irritated. but after she died, i realized how so right she was. she was my best friend.. the best i'll ever have.. and she too loved me unconditionally.

when i read your post... i was just struck by how much we are alike. it's kinda freaky.

"...later." 
  by ednbarby     (Fri Dec 1 2006 20:33:23 )   
UPDATED Fri Dec 1 2006 20:33:50
Hey, idgeet. Yes, it is freaky, isn't it?

I was struck in reading your latest post just now at how I used to, as a child (and still do sometimes), think of all the other lives going on in the world "right now" - all the other thoughts, all the other dreams - and think "I bet there're at least 1,000 people, right now, thinking the same exact thought that I'm thinking right now." And there you are, one of those people.

I'm starting to think that most of the people here, and at other boards I've had the great fortune to come across since this past January, are those people, too. Is that why/how we've been chosen? Are we all the ones who wondered about each other, unknowing, as children?

~ Barb
  by sadif     (Sat Dec 2 2006 12:41:48 )   
UPDATED Sun Dec 17 2006 14:31:05
I think about that a lot too...it's so weird reading this. Also, when I think about someone, sometimes I think, does (s)he think about me right now?
I guess people aren't that different...
  by ClancyPantsDelMar     (Sat Dec 2 2006 12:48:22 )   
Hi citromtorta --

"I don't have much to say about myself, because nothing happened in my life yet that's worth mentioning."

I think this is one of the most humbly sweet things I've ever heard. It is very sweet. However, you saw the film, and you were touched by it on an emotional level. This proves that you have an inner maturity and that has to come from living a life full of wonderful things.

Welcome!

by pianocellolove     (Sat Dec 2 2006 18:28:15 )   
A troll who had been 'following' me a few weeks ago will probably be interested to get this info on me after I refused to answer a very rude pm asking the same question...(some folk are so crazy!!!!) but I certainly don't mind sharing my humble stats with this board.

46 year old Libra yet often mistaken for much younger. I love that!
Single and proud Mom of 3 of the best teenagers in the world.
Middle School Choral director ( I retire in 10 years! yeh!!) and I love movies, sushi, music, books, cats, dogs, children, nice people and BBM to name a few.

[Post deleted]   
  by TrollHammer     (Tue Dec 26 2006 22:56:24 )   
bump
  by GrendelSledge     10 hours ago (Tue Jan 9 2007 23:13:06 )   
bump
  by yngcyn     2 hours ago (Wed Jan 10 2007 06:54:43 )   
UPDATED Wed Jan 10 2007 06:55:39
Hi idgeet,

Just saw "Brokeback Mountain" for the first time last week. I don't see many movies, but now that I have a portable DVD player I plan on watching more. I spend time on IMDb on TV threads mostly. But after seeing the movie, I immediately went to BBM threads and wanted to read what others have said about the film. I have not posted anything on it yet--there's so much to read by others.

I simply adored the movie and will see it again and again. At times my face ached from smiling so hard, at other times my heart ached from crying so hard. I loved this movie! Thought this would be an ideal place to start my BBM postings. Love the idea idgeet.

A little about this BBM fan:

I am female and 43 years old. I have been married (to a man) for twenty years, no kids by choice. We live in rural, upstate NY with our two Jack Russell Terriers. We have a great life here in the "sticks".

I grew up in the area in which I now live, same county. I drive by my old high school daily! It's more than okay with me--I really love the area, it's just beautiful. Only lived away from the area when I was away at college in the early 80's. I'm close to my family and have a few really good friends.

I teach high school English/Language Arts at a private residential facility for court-placed and troubled adolescent boys. I've taught there for 19 years and really love it. I have recently gone back to school (after many years!) and am presently halfway through a master's program in curriculum development and instructional technology.

I enjoy my dogs, reading novels, the outdoors, my favorite TV shows, computer time, and hanging with family and friends. Life is good.

So there is just a little about me. Thanks for asking idgeet!

by ednbarby     1 hour ago (Wed Jan 10 2007 07:39:10 )   
UPDATED Wed Jan 10 2007 07:55:35
Hey yngcyn, I'm from Canandaigua. Are you from the Finger Lakes area, by any chance? If you'd rather not say so publicly, feel free to send me a private message here.

I miss it there so much. I was fortunate enough to live in a house right on the lake, looking across it every day at the glacial, almost mountainous, hills. Just gorgeous. I loved living out in the middle of nowhere and yet being able to see so much natural beauty all the time. It was idyllic.

I haven't been there in a couple years now even to visit, and I haven't lived there in 20 years. I, too, went to college just a few hours away, also in upstate NY. If it were all up to me, I'd still be living there. Alas, my husband (of 17 years) abhors the cold, so here we are in southeastern Florida, in an area I not so affectionately refer to as Tropicopolis.

I can so relate to your reaction to the movie. I still find it, after 20+ viewings both in theaters and on DVD/TV, rapturously happy and heartwrenchingly sad. I've never seen anything like it - and I see all the movies - and I doubt I ever will again.

Nice to know another fellow Brokie. :)

Hell, that's the most I spoke in a year.
  by yngcyn     20 minutes ago (Wed Jan 10 2007 09:11:25 )   
UPDATED Wed Jan 10 2007 09:13:19
Hi ednbarby,

Thanks for telling me a little about you. No, I am not from the Finger Lakes region, though I've visited there (Keuka Lake), and it certainly is beautiful country. Never been to Florida. I am from rural Rensselaer County, about 40 minutes northeast of Albany. We are actually closer to Bennington, Vermont, (less than half an hour) than Albany.

Wow--you've seen "Brokeback Mountain" 20+ times! Well I really loved it. I'm having a great time here, checking out what others have said about the film. As I only saw it that once so far, I don't really have any "deep" commentary about it! I guess as an English teacher I should have been looking for the symbolism and themes others have noted--but you know what? I just loved the story. It was a visually stunning movie, the acting was superb; it just grabbed me. Know what I mean?

Glad you wrote, ednbarby. See you here again I hope!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:21:22 pm by TOoP/Bruce »