Author Topic: Cancer in your life or the lives of your dearest?  (Read 17258 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Cancer in your life or the lives of your dearest?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 08:25:45 am »
Hey Y'all!
Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts!
The new regimine seems to be working on the cancer it is keeping it in check and some of his levels have dropped. However the toll it is taking on  his body is worse. So I guess it's a trade off.
Hopefully he can regain some strength when he gets off this round of treatments.
We should know somthing by Tursday as he goes abck to the Dr Wednesday.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 01:53:29 pm »
loneleeb, I am sorry to hear about your dad.  My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer in the spring of 2002, but unfortunately the chemo and medication she was taking did not help in the long run.   She passed away in October, 2002.  She was 77 years old.  She lived in Connecticut, and I live here in Florida.  Luckily, I was able to get up to see her at the end of September, 2002 before she passed on.  Me and my sisters knew she didn't have long to go, since Hospice was called in to assist us.  It was probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to deal with in my life.  My dad passed away in 1990 due to some heart disease problems.  You never think of being without your parents, no matter how old you get.   They're always Mom & Dad, and you just take for granted they're always going to be around.  It's a real eye-opener when you realize that both your parents are gone, and you are truly now "on your own" without Mom and/or Dad around to advise you.

mvansand76

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 02:00:20 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, loneleeb,I can understand what you're going through, to see that the chemo is working, but on the other hand seeing him suffer terribly from it. I'm sending you and your Dad lots of positive and healing energy..... :-*

My sister, who is 34, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma half a year ago and has just undergone her 11th chemo and it's wearing her down, she has lost almost all her hair now and feels tired almost all the time. But she is fighting so hard and I'm so proud of her, we're very positive about a good outcome. She will have her second CT scan at the end of the month, so I hope I can get people from all over the world to keep their fingers crossed for her for the day she gets the results!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 02:35:34 pm »
I'm so proud of your dad Lee and your sister Mel, and I dont even know them.

and dobie....  :-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 02:37:10 pm »
I'm so proud of your dad Lee and your sister Mel, and I dont even know them.

and dobie....  :-*

Thank you... *hug*

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 02:53:05 pm »
Thanks Kelda!  Snavel, I feel very bad for your sister and your family, going through this with her.  I hope she has excellent results from her CT scan.  My sister had cervical cancer many years ago; had her uterus removed, had chemo & radiation, lost her hair, and had a positively miserable time, had to wear a colostomy bag, but she's been cancer free now for at least 10 years, probably more like 12 or 13 years.  I'm hoping the same results for your sister!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 02:57:46 pm »
I had cancer!

It's NOT funny!

Better to prevent it!

Or stop it at the start!

Keep care,
hugs!

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 03:14:32 pm »
Thanks Kelda!  Snavel, I feel very bad for your sister and your family, going through this with her.  I hope she has excellent results from her CT scan.  My sister had cervical cancer many years ago; had her uterus removed, had chemo & radiation, lost her hair, and had a positively miserable time, had to wear a colostomy bag, but she's been cancer free now for at least 10 years, probably more like 12 or 13 years.  I'm hoping the same results for your sister!

Thank you for the positive words, Dobie, that really helps. I am sorry to hear about your mother, I have no idea what it would be like to lose your mother. *hug*
Glad to hear that your sister is doing fine now!  :-*

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 03:27:29 pm »
You never think of being without your parents, no matter how old you get.   They're always Mom & Dad, and you just take for granted they're always going to be around.  It's a real eye-opener when you realize that both your parents are gone, and you are truly now "on your own" without Mom and/or Dad around to advise you.

Hey, Rich, I am sorry you are going through this pain with your father.  And Dobie, God bless, you poor thing.  Truer words were never spoken.  My father was the love of my life, he was diagnosed in front of me with Stage 4 terminal bladder cancer in July 2002, went through chemo and radiation multiple times, threatened to kill himself multiple times cause he was in so much pain, my mom finallly put a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order in place at his last hospital.  I was sitting at my house on the couch November 14, 2006 at 11:35 pm, reading, then I got the strangest creepy feeling that I had to go to him in the hospital.  I got in my car, drove the 7 blocks to my mom's house, told her what I was feeling, asked her if she wanted to go along.  She said no only because she could see I was in a hurry to get there, and she, being 78 at the time, would have needed a while to get out of bed and go somewhere.  I raced out to the hospital in the snow, went thru the emergency room doors up to his room, asked the nurse for a diet Pepsi cause I intended to stay there all night, had a couple sips, then went over to his bedside, 12:15 in the morning on November 15, stroked his white hair with my right hand, held his left land in mine, and whispered in his ear,  "Daddy, it's Mandy. I'm here, and I love you."  He took his last breath at that moment, right there in my arms.  Nurses said he was just waiting to hear those words so he could go on to the next world, happy, peacefully.  My daddy and I were always best friends, and my Mom and brother, they were best friends.  I will live the rest of my life, never knowing if he would have died anyway at 12:15 am that morning all alone, or if it was my words in his ear, comforting him, that put an end to his misery.  My daddy was the dearest man that ever lived.  I've still got my mom, though, thank God.  We watch "Dancing with the Stars" together, new season just started last night.  Losing one of them most definitely makes you thank your lucky stars you've still got one left.  I can't even imagine when they're both gone, how empty life will be...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 04:09:51 pm »
Both of my sisters had breast cancer.

The first time my sister would feel a lump when she would examine herself, but it only appeared during the time of the month her hormones were at their highest. She would make an appointment with the doctor and two weeks later--nothing. Finally they were able to catch it at the right time and did a biopsy. They opted for a modified radical mastectomy and subsequently they decided she needed no further treatment and died in an accident 7 years later with no recurrence.

My other sister had a mammogram one summer and nothing. About 6 month later she detected the lump and went straight to the doctor. When the biopsy was done it was bad. A very aggressive form that had already spread to limp nodes. She had a radical mastectomy the following morning followed by months and months of chemo and years of follow up treatment. She lost her hair, her nails, but was able to rally for her sons wedding.  It has been going on 13 years now with no recurrence, but every little thing sends her into a panic.

Me, I am just waiting. I think it is a matter of time.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."