Author Topic: What Myths were we told when we were Children......  (Read 35308 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: What Myths were we told when we were Children......
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 12:18:07 am »
I just thought of another funny one, that my husband's mother told me.......it shows that children had their own little white lies to tell their parents......

When Bob was a youngster, she sent him to the baker to buy a half loaf of bread.....(you used to be able to buy a half loaf of uncut bread, and where the bread was broken in half, it was usually still warm and fresh)....anyway, on the way home, he picked at, and ate a big hole in the bread.....

When he got home and his mother asked, "what happened to the bread".....

he said very innocently....."The ants crawled up my leg and ate it".......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 01:02:50 am »
I just thought of another big one. When I was little my parents told me if I opened my eyes Santa would not come. That turned out to be because they used to do everything on Christmas Eve so I would make sure I did not even think about opening my eyes. If I did, Santa would go away and not leave me anything.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 02:27:10 am »
One day my grandmother caught me trying on my grandfather's dress hat.
He was bald and she told me I would go bald if I did not take the hat off.

Funny thing. She turned out to be right  :o :o :o

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 12:32:09 pm »
Tell you what, here's something I wasn't taught as a child, but it's a superstition--I guess you'd call it that--that holds me under its spell today.

I have no idea where I picked up this notion, but I never turn over the page of a calendar until the first day of the new month, or hang up a new calendar until the first day of a new year. I feel that if I turn the calendar on, say, the evening of the last day of the month, instead of waiting till the next morning, I'm somehow "tempting fate."

:-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 04:40:51 pm »
Tell you what, here's something I wasn't taught as a child, but it's a superstition--I guess you'd call it that--that holds me under its spell today.

I have no idea where I picked up this notion, but I never turn over the page of a calendar until the first day of the new month, or hang up a new calendar until the first day of a new year. I feel that if I turn the calendar on, say, the evening of the last day of the month, instead of waiting till the next morning, I'm somehow "tempting fate."

I actually know quite a few people who believe that. My birthday is on July 2nd and over the years, I have gotten birthday cards from people that have arrived late. They have written, "Sorry this is late, but I won't change the calendar til the first day of the month and by the time I realize it's your birthday, I am already late sending the card." Seriously, this has happened quite a few times in my life...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 04:45:50 pm »

That is interesting and something I've never heard about. I'm usually late rather than early when changing months!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 09:55:27 pm »
I'm not sure if this would fall under the title of "myth" or outright "lie".....

:laugh:

I remember being very young, and asking my mother about "the statue with no arms".

I asked why the statue had no arms, and my mother told me that the woman was a thief who had been caught stealing, and her arms were cut off as punishment.

My younger brother asked what her name was, and before mom could answer, I said "Greedy Greta".

my dad almost crashed the car, he was laughing so hard.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 12:01:47 am »

So thats how it all started Chuck.  A young comedy mind in transition.     :laugh:    :laugh:

Beautiful mind

Offline Katie77

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 12:02:11 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Katie77

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 12:05:47 am »
Another one I was told as a child, and still abide by it......

Is not to put shoes on the table.......supposed to be bad luck