Author Topic: What Myths were we told when we were Children......  (Read 35296 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What Myths were we told when we were Children......
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2007, 09:15:26 pm »
I think I may actually have a postcard of that Kress in Tampa. I'm not sure. If you ever get a chance will you take a picture of it for me. I know that sounds weird, but I collect postcards and pictures of old architectural buildings. Kress was very particular with their buildings. Each town they had one it had to be completely different and somehow match the city. The one here has been restored and is now a place where artists show their work. The same thing that has been done with the Woolworth building here. Ok, sorry for getting a bit off topic there  :) Yes, the gum would be quite historical too, but I don't need a picture of that  ;D

As for the swimming rule, yes I know that one and I actually never questioned its truth believe it or not.

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2007, 09:31:08 pm »
I think I may actually have a postcard of that Kress in Tampa. I'm not sure. If you ever get a chance will you take a picture of it for me. I know that sounds weird, but I collect postcards and pictures of old architectural buildings. Kress was very particular with their buildings. Each town they had one it had to be completely different and somehow match the city. The one here has been restored and is now a place where artists show their work. The same thing that has been done with the Woolworth building here. Ok, sorry for getting a bit off topic there  :) Yes, the gum would be quite historical too, but I don't need a picture of that  ;D

As for the swimming rule, yes I know that one and I actually never questioned its truth believe it or not.

Next time I am downtown I will be most happy to.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2007, 11:57:38 pm »
Next time I am downtown I will be most happy to.

TampaTalon^">

Thanks! I appreciate that!!!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2007, 04:48:29 am »
Foods have superstitions too. Don't pork and kraut bring good luck if ya eat them
on New Year's day or eve? My family believed this worked even though we were
all Italian in a little Italy section of town. I thought this was a German custom?

TampaTalon^">
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 11:58:23 am by tampatalon »
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2007, 11:07:24 am »
Yes! My parents told me that one! Something about getting stomach cramps and then we'd drown.

Not just drown. You'd sink like a stone to the bottom of the pool and be dead, dead, dead. Lifeguards made no difference. You couldn't be saved.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
Foods have superstitions too. Don't pork and kraut bring good luck if ya eat them
all Italian in a Little Italy section of town. I thought this was a German custom?

TampaTalon^">

Yes, I've heard that. I also think rice and beans on New Year's Day are supposed to bring good luck.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2007, 11:17:31 am »
In Arkansas it's black-eyed peas and hog jowl. We had it every New Year's Day when I was growing up, and I haven't gotten rich yet -- not in $$$ anyway, but it's been a pretty sweet life all in all!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2007, 11:57:25 am »
In Arkansas it's black-eyed peas and hog jowl. We had it every New Year's Day when I was growing up, and I haven't gotten rich yet -- not in $$$ anyway, but it's been a pretty sweet life all in all!!
Amen Shasta. Life has been rich with good people. Sometimes when I start loosing my faith in humanity another great person pops into my life.

TampaTalon^">

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2007, 12:27:32 pm »
I almost fergot this very important one. If a bird flies into yer window glass someone you know will die. If a bird falls down yer chimney lookout, someone in the house is gonna die.

TampaTalon">

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2007, 01:03:11 pm »
all Italian in a little Italy section of town. I thought this was a German custom?

TampaTalon^">

Here in western NC it is black-eyed peas, hog jowls, collard greens and pork roast on New Years Day. Each stands for something and I can't remember what stands for what, but Shasta here is your problem. The collard greens mean money so if you haven't been having those that is why you are not rich with money. Of course, I have had them every year I have been alive and I haven't found the money yet either  :) I've never heard of the rice, beans or kraut though  ;)