Author Topic: Snowy Day Recipes  (Read 16639 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Snowy Day Recipes
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 01:30:24 pm »
What I am cooking today is pot roast. I find a nice large cut of meat at the store, oftentimes in the "manager's special" section. Pat it dry and let it come to room temperature. In a large pot that has a lid, I melt butter and olive oil or grapeseed oil and brown the meat on both sides. Oftentimes, I have to do it in stages. Return the meat to the pot and add in a container of broth. I use the garlic and roasted onion infused beef broth. It's best to warm the broth before pouring it in, but I often skip this step. I add some bay leaves or some Old Bay seasoning, and usually some wine. Tomatoes or tomato sauce may also be added. Simmer for at least 1 hour, then add potatoes, carrots, and other root vegetables. A half hour before serving, add any greens you would like and a dash of lemon juice. Adjust seasonings, heat, and serve.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 01:38:25 pm »
Sounds good.  :)

You're using store-bought beef broth?

No offense intended, but I'm kinda surprised you don't make your own stock. You strike me as a homemade stock kind of cook.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 02:02:49 pm »
I used to make my own broth but in my new home I have limited freezer/fridge space and haven't unpacked my big storage containers yet. The new stocks they're coming out with are less salt-laden and a little healthier now. I especially like the Thai Ginger broth with soy sauce, cilantro, lemongrass, ginger, coconut and lime. Oftentimes, I warm up some broth in a pan and throw in some fresh or frozen veggies, some spring onions, some bits of meat or fish, and maybe some cooked rice or rice noodles and make a nice soup. I shake some seasoned seaweed and sesame seeds in for added flavoring. I think this is better than eating canned soup anyway!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 02:55:53 pm »
I used to make my own broth but in my new home I have limited freezer/fridge space and haven't unpacked my big storage containers yet.

I sympathize with you on limited storage space.  :(

The new stocks they're coming out with are less salt-laden and a little healthier now. I especially like the Thai Ginger broth with soy sauce, cilantro, lemongrass, ginger, coconut and lime. Oftentimes, I warm up some broth in a pan and throw in some fresh or frozen veggies, some spring onions, some bits of meat or fish, and maybe some cooked rice or rice noodles and make a nice soup. I shake some seasoned seaweed and sesame seeds in for added flavoring. I think this is better than eating canned soup anyway!

Have you tried the boxed, even if they are hard to pack?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 08:10:11 pm »

Have you tried the boxed, even if they are hard to pack?  ;D

Yes, I've tried Annie's Soups, the Butternut Squash version and a few others. Most of those I've tried were very skimpy with the ingredients.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:10 am »
yes, boxed soups don't tend to be very hardy.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 10:26:23 am »
yes, boxed soups don't tend to be very hardy.

Better stick with beans, then.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 12:45:03 pm »
Ooops!  that's what happens when you post too quickly...that should be "hearty".

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 11:37:51 am »
Ooops!  that's what happens when you post too quickly...that should be "hearty".

:laugh:

and they are bad to pack! That reminds me that I should go back and read Ruthlessly's interpretation of this comment from the Basque once again. He was the only one who ever made sense of it to me.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 07:47:51 pm »

Ohhh, that looks delicious! :)
And seems easy enough to make. I think I might replace half of the pepperoni with tomatoes.
Served with a soup, it'll make a full meal for us. I'm so gonna try this!

I did try this recipe tonight (even though it's not snowy!) and it wasn't bad.  I do have some tips.....

1.  Don't follow the cooking time of 30 minutes at 350.   I did that, and the dough in the middle of the pan was still raw.  Cut the temp down to between 270-300 and cook for 45 - 60 minutes.

2.  The pepperoni will make it greasy.  When you remove it from the oven, gently tip the pan, and pour off the grease.  Then pat the top to remove excess grease, and turn it onto a plate.  After you put it on the plate, take a paper towel and pat the sides and top (which was the bottom) to remove any leftover grease.