Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie  (Read 139343 times)

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2008, 09:00:49 pm »
Chapter 30

“You don’t want ta know.”

“I’m supposed ta be the one ta say that, boy." 

Don't worry Wes, I'm sure you will have plenty more opportunities to say your signature line!! Wait til that Puerto

Rican vacation! Oh my!
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2008, 09:30:12 pm »
Judging from the page hits, I would say that the recent silliness hit the right note with everyone.  I thought for quite a while this summer and fall about what I wanted to write, if I was going to write more in the Greenlea universe, and if I did, what would be pleasing for both me, as a writer, and to you as readers.

Because one thing I noticed was that while meaningful to me, and popular among the readers, the serious, heavy-duty story lines in the first five novels is something that I was not sure I could sustain or go back to.  And that is part of why there is a much ligher tone in 'The Red Stallion' and 'A Small Circle of Friends.'  I wanted to have new, interesting characters and unexpected social developments and interactions.  And in 'The Rookie' I decided I didnt want to limit it to a couple of main characters, but to involve the larger cast, in a much less 'heavy duty' kind of story arc - the mystery of some missing payoff money.  It isn't that I don't want to write a serious love story anymore, but I did feel like the thing that would be most interesting for me is to watch the relationships of all of the characters play out among one another in a bit more 'normal' context where there aren't guns going off, people disappearing, windows exploding and cars going into ditches in every other chapter.  It's a lot easier to write that way!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2008, 09:54:16 pm »
and chapter 31 all ready to go!

The plot THICKENS!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/244241.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2008, 11:02:26 pm »
... I wanted to have new, interesting characters and unexpected social developments and interactions....

And you are doing exactly that and more!

SPOILERS - Chapter 31

Yep, the plot thickened considerably with this chapter!  I was happy to see the beginnings of a truce between Paula and Jeremy  - that will makes matters easier all the way around, and I was always sorry to see the understandable awkwardness between them. 

I can't say I'm too surprised about Leon.  None of those guys strike me as the type to subscribe to the notion of honor among thieves, after all.  But, we may still have a few surprises in store.

“Ya know they got blueberry an strawberry syrup here, an it is the most disgustin stuff you ever did taste,” Sanchez said, glancing at his watch again.

I'm with Sanchez on this - it's been a long time since I've been in an IHOP, but I do remember that stuff - and it's just wrong! LOL!

And Sanchez really is itching to stay on this case, isn't he?

A nice mix in this chapter, Louise.  I really enjoyed it!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2008, 11:43:18 pm »
While I have been terribly distracted this afternoon and evening by the transition of Heath to the realm beyond, I wanted to reassure everyone that I WILL be finishing 'The Rookie' and that I am determined not only to publish 'Taking Chances' but ot convert and to publish the rest of the Greenlea tales.

At this point, I am a little dizzy and disoriented, like I imagine many of you are, with the news of Heath's passing, but I wanted to reassure you that Ellery and Colson ARENT GOING ANYWHERE (except maybe to Puerto Rico.)  I hope that for those of you who were worried on this point, the inspiration for these characters may have passed from among us, but the spirit that inspired the work is still going strong, and I intend to continue to write about them.

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2008, 01:29:08 am »
Thanks Louise-I am feeling so raw right now your promise comforts me a tiny bit. I saw BBM for the first time last January & I feel as devastated tonite as I did then. Although your saga has made a beautiful transition, its roots will always be firmly bbm in my mind & as such, it's continuation right now will be a solace to me.

With you alone I am free

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:29 am »
and with a sense of renewed hope, comforted by the knowledge that Heath is where he needs to be and is being looked after by powers greater than ours, I managed to get a chapter out. I hope it provides some moments of cheer.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/244941.html  Chapter 32

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2008, 08:48:50 am »
..... it's continuation right now will be a solace to me.

Beautifully said, Fran.

and with a sense of renewed hope, comforted by the knowledge that Heath is where he needs to be and is being looked after by powers greater than ours, I managed to get a chapter out. I hope it provides some moments of cheer.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/244941.html  Chapter 32

Louise, somehow I knew you would be here to help me this morning.  You've always had just the right words, not only to comfort, but to strengthen and inspire, as you've proven once again. 

With love and thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »
Comforted to see an update, but too difficult to read it right now. Hard enough to hold things together at work as it is. Anyway, I think that tonight I will want to read (& re-read) a whole lot of my favorite things starting with this chapter. Thanks Louise.

With you alone I am free

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2008, 07:40:53 pm »
no worries, Fran.

I think all of us are feeling pretty weird still.  But one thing that was crystallizing in my mind over the course of yesterday's shock and all of the intense discussion with the fans on Bettermost, was that it was important for me to keep pushing to get "Taking Chances" published, to get the rest of the Tales converted to original form, and to carry on the project, because there are too many of us who need to continue and to complete the story that was begun with Annie"s and Ang"s creations of "Brokeback Mountain."

I am doing better today, I hope everyone else is too.  Heath is safe and beyond pain and fear now.