Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie  (Read 140361 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie
« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2008, 03:25:14 pm »
we're gettin there little darlin, just hold yer horses!

And here is chapter 45:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/248309.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2008, 03:54:47 pm »
we're gettin there little darlin, just hold yer horses!

And here is chapter 45:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/248309.html

SPOILERS

Sigh.  I do wonder if Ellery will ever learn that he doesn't need to twist the knife once it is firmly in place. 

A brilliant portrayal, Louise -  displaying the best parts of his nature to displaying the worst parts of his nature overnight. 

...if ya don’t believe me, ya can chat with JEREMY about it...

Wince. Cringe. That's just embarrassing - and not for Paula.   :-\

Btw, that was superbly written, Louise! 

Thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2008, 04:02:59 pm »
SPOILERS

“You should have discussed this with me!”

“Yeah but I didn’t have to. So I didn’t. Or we would a had this wrangle yesterday an you would a ended up with yer panties in a bunch again an somebody would a stopped me, probably yer boss, an it never would a flown. Now you got yourself a nice juicy confession an that is gonna make you look good. So I am sorry for goin behind yer back but there wasn’t any other way. There wasn’t any way in hell he was gonna give that ta you, now you can just go in an do the paperwork.”

Good Lord, Ellery!

I'm starting to get an idea why Amos Marigold turned out to be such a s.o.b.,.... maybe he'd been working with pestered by Ellery for too long!  :o  :-\

But, yeah, as Marie said, superbly written. Can't get enough of this.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2008, 04:07:53 pm »

SPOILERS

Sigh.  I do wonder if Ellery will ever learn that he doesn't need to twist the knife once it is firmly in place. 

A brilliant portrayal, Louise -  displaying the best parts of his nature to displaying the worst parts of his nature overnight. 

...if ya don’t believe me, ya can chat with JEREMY about it...

Wince. Cringe. That's just embarrassing - and not for Paula.   :-\

Btw, that was superbly written, Louise! 

Thanks!
Marie

But Marie, twisting the knife is all part of Ellerys charm lol. :laugh: I think he,s great the way he tells it like it is. He deffinately reminds me of me lol. Now then Louise, not that I,m keeping on and on and on and on or nagging or whinging or just harping on about it generally, but........................TOYS. :laugh: Next time I look at your LJ, I expect that extra long chapter I keep harping on about, full of begging/pleading noises, you get my drift.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2008, 04:23:32 pm »
But Marie, twisting the knife is all part of Ellerys charm lol. :laugh: I think he,s great the way he tells it like it is.

I understand where you're coming from, souxi  :)

But, I actually don't find that part of Ellery charming.  And he's isn't quite telling everything like it is.  My mouth fell open when I realized he hadn't contacted the D.A.'s office after he spoke with Marigold.  To let Paula find out from Marigold's attorney, and then to give that "Oh, any news?" line to Paula at the courthouse?  *shakes head*  I applaud that he was able to get a plea from Marigold, but he was already pretty darn close to crossing the line, and now he's crossed it.  I'm very curious to hear what Wes will have to say - and if Ellery will come clean about exactly what he said to Paula. 

And just when I thought the story was winding down to a peaceful conclusion, you've got it cranked up into high gear.  LOL!  Great job, Louise! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2008, 06:56:57 pm »
Let's not make any mistake here -- Ellery has got several good qualities and several bad ones, and they are making a less than completely effective Chief Deputy out of him.  He has a lot to learn about diplomacy, and about treating A.D.A.'s with respect, and he a flaw in his character that causes him to compete when he should be cooperating.  Paula should be getting his support, rather than having to chase after him and get broadsided by him.  He has a lot of growing up to do, and unless she stands up to him and starts pushing back, without whining to her bosses, he is going to trample her again in the next big case.  This scene was to illustrate Paula's attempt to take Ellery on herself, and to give him a piece of her mind.

But it is fun as hell to write!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2008, 07:09:49 pm »
Let's not make any mistake here -- Ellery has got several good qualities and several bad ones, and they are making a less than completely effective Chief Deputy out of him.  He has a lot to learn about diplomacy, and about treating A.D.A.'s with respect, and he a flaw in his character that causes him to compete when he should be cooperating.  Paula should be getting his support, rather than having to chase after him and get broadsided by him.  He has a lot of growing up to do, and unless she stands up to him and starts pushing back, without whining to her bosses, he is going to trample her again in the next big case.  This scene was to illustrate Paula's attempt to take Ellery on herself, and to give him a piece of her mind.

But it is fun as hell to write!

I think Paula's learning curve is over now with Ellery & next time she'll be ready. I can't believe she let him get away with calling her sweetheart though, she still hasn't gained his respect. I'm not sure she ever can honestly, but it does make for some fascinating dynamics.

And it's even more fun to read!!!

I agree with Marie here though-this was not one of Ellery's charming moments!!
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2008, 07:25:30 pm »
and the other shoe... drops.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/248484.html  Chapter 46

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2008, 09:14:49 pm »
and the other shoe... drops.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/248484.html  Chapter 46

SPOILERS

Did someone mention fun?  I had so much fun reading that chapter the first time, I read it again right away! LOL! 

“I love you like my own son, Ellery, but I can’t have you runnin roughshod over the first decent prosecutor we got servin in this county because you won’t stop throwin sand at her in the sandbox.....

You're almost as smart as you think you are, Ellery - but there are other smart people in Greenlea County, too.  And one of them just gave you an ass-kicking that was long past due. 

Paula has a lot of learning to do, too.  And not only about standing up to Ellery.  She needs to get with the program about how things really operate - and the fact that she hasn't learned that is really Mel's fault.  And it would be a lot easier for her to learn these things if the people she is supposedly working with actually worked with her and tried to show her the ropes - instead of trying to compete against her.

This entire plot line is terrific, Louise!

Thanks,
Marie

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2008, 11:09:23 pm »
now you see, I wrote this plot line just for you prosecutors out there !!

I am not sure I have any more plot in me tonight but rest assured there will be more tomorrow!