Author Topic: vegetarian diets  (Read 30583 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: vegetarian diets
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 12:02:53 am »
    Maybe a change in diet is a more efficient manner of solving our energy and resource problems?   

I think that you have a brilliant idea!

Vegetables, legumes, fruits.... great, and save lives!! Nuts too!!

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 11:26:44 pm »
This is the only real, longterm, viable solution to many of our problems.  That or bring resources from and populate space.  We need to do both really.  And soon.

I'm delighted to see that you agree with me on this. We hear almost nothing about population control and ultimately population reductions in the political arena or media. It is simply unavoidable that the Earth's population must stop growing and start on the downward slide if we are to avoid huge resource shortages in the future.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2008, 11:42:17 pm »
I'm delighted to see that you agree with me on this. We hear almost nothing about population control and ultimately population reductions in the political arena or media. It is simply unavoidable that the Earth's population must stop growing and start on the downward slide if we are to avoid huge resource shortages in the future.

I am struck by the thought of viruses that kill their host....  a smart virus lets its host live, if not, the host dies, and then so do the viruses (except the ones that moved on to other hosts).

I hope the Earth will persist, that we won't have to abandon it.  For another host.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2008, 11:56:39 pm »
Then I guess we human "viruses" better get smart fast and stop the rapid population growth.

I'm not yet ready to immigrate to Mars.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 12:01:02 am »
I am finding that fruits are saving my life, often!!

Maybe they could save humanity and the earth??

Hugs!

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 12:13:53 am »
Another mainly vegetarian here.  I may eat certain meats or fish maybe about once a month in certain situations, eg going to a place where the veggie option really does not appeal to me.  I never have meat or fish in the home except for our cats.  I also tend to avoid toiletries and household products tested on animals where possible.  I could be very principled about animal-derived products cos of the animal cruelty thing but I have difficulty in choosing where to draw the line, ie if I was that bothered I should become a full time animal rights campaigner.

I do believe veggie diets are better for the environment you can feed more people from an acre of plants than if that acre was used for grazing cattle. 
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 12:57:49 pm »
Nic - you haven't had any pheobe like meat cravings since getting pregnant?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 09:07:13 pm »

Most people/governments are hesitant to deal with what is really the main issue for several reasons.  One is the question of which populations to control (the world is becoming less white very rapidly - no judgement here - just a statement of fact), and who gets to decide.

then perhaps we need to reject the concept of identity politics, as it is probably racist and definitely harmful to the future of the planet.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 09:16:58 pm »
Absolutely - I'm all for it.  People are people.  The more we mix, the healthier we are as a species, anyway.  Apparently we all descended from one dark-skinned African woman (Genetic Eve), and the variations we see now are due to climate differences as we spread out and populated the earth.  Now how do we get the people with the power to agree to give it up?

really, you mean Susie you don't subscribe to the theory that humans are descendants of alien humanoid like creatures who were seeded on this planet who then interbred with the Neanderthals?  We modern humans then being the product of that interbreeding.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 08:16:05 am »
I am a meat eater. However, I also believe we the human beings in general eat foods we aren't supposed to eat. I mean that is not suitable for our natural organism. For example meat and milk. Please note that I am no expert. This is stuff I have read around and heard people say it so if anyone have better or more accurate information please let me know. Anyway,  I read somewhere our teeth aren't for meat eating and our stomach can hardly process raw meat. I don't know if our ancestors (the one in the caves) ate raw meat or if the cooked in the fire. I seem to believe they did the later, but I think we mostly cook the meat to be able to chew it and digest it.

A similar thing happens with milk. When I was diagnosed being allergic to milk and derivates, the doctor told me my reaction was a natural one. He said the human organism is not made to process cow milk, that cow milk is for the calves, period. Hence many human infants do not tolerate cow milk.  That's also the reason why the milk is pasteurized and put through a lot of processes before being made available to consumers. And those who own cows and enjoy milking them have to boil it before drinking the milk. He explained we need not to rely on milk for calcium. Broccoli, for example, is a good source of calcium. According to him, milk tends to do more damage than good even on people that are not allergic to it. He says it increases mucus production and it is the major cause of sinusitis.  I don't know if this information is true. I know there are many groups out there advocating against milk and maybe he happens to suport them, but he certainly made me feel better!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.