Author Topic: TOTW 19/07: Why couldn't Jack learn to just be happy with things as they were af  (Read 30871 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Thanks you very much again for your kind words¡ But what I referred to was to "human warmth",in all senses:including sex,but also trust,affection,friendship,companionship,somebody to talk to and who hears to you...any senses of human needs.And also practically and romantically speaking,yes.I meant,therefore,that their needs in all their lives senses made them get closer to the other;because,as Artiste says very well -thanks¡- :The focus in not only on sex!!Sex is only one way to love and be loved¡.For me the "practical" need to be warm in the cold night on the mountain was united to the others you say about feeling lonely and being available to a sexual encounter;aren't all them a kind of saying:-"I'm lonely,I FEEL lonely and I need some human touch; my body and my soul are cold?".

I don't think that we are really disagreeing. I would never underestimate the need for human warmth in the sense that Ennis needed a fellow human to relate to. After one of his bull sessions with Jack, Ennis was so happy he could "paw the white out of the moon". No sex involved, just conversation, "They respected each others opinions".

Because of the cold night air in Tent Scene One, I would not discount the other need for human warmth, it is cold spending the night out in the open in the Rockies, even in the middle of the summer. In my little house near Missoula, it sometimes freezes at night in July! Scared the hell out of this Texas boy, the first time I saw frost on my truck in the early morning in July. Ennis needed to get warm, and that coupled with his growing warm feelings for Jack, and just plain old teenaged horniness, resulted in the action in Tent Scene One.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Ennis needed to get warm, and that coupled with his growing warm feelings for Jack, and just plain old teenaged horniness, resulted in the action in Tent Scene One.

Tell you what, in light of this comment, maybe this is an appropriate place to share something that actually has me laughing at myself. You would think I would have realized this long ago, but it was only a month or two ago that I realized something about that first time in the tent, whether in the short story or the film: The reason the action went so fast was because Ennis was already erect when Jack reached around and grabbed Ennis's hand and placed it on his own erection.

Well, duh. ... (Wrangler slaps self up side the head.)  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
Tell you what, in light of this comment, maybe this is an appropriate place to share something that actually has me laughing at myself. You would think I would have realized this long ago, but it was only a month or two ago that I realized something about that first time in the tent, whether in the short story or the film: The reason the action went so fast was because Ennis was already erect when Jack reached around and grabbed Ennis's hand and placed it on his own erection.

Well, duh. ... (Wrangler slaps self up side the head.)  :laugh:
:laugh: Yes,on the contrary it would have been the most similar to a rocket¡¡¡ ;D
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
I don't think that we are really disagreeing. I would never underestimate the need for human warmth in the sense that Ennis needed a fellow human to relate to. After one of his bull sessions with Jack, Ennis was so happy he could "paw the white out of the moon". No sex involved, just conversation, "They respected each others opinions".

Because of the cold night air in Tent Scene One, I would not discount the other need for human warmth, it is cold spending the night out in the open in the Rockies, even in the middle of the summer. In my little house near Missoula, it sometimes freezes at night in July! Scared the hell out of this Texas boy, the first time I saw frost on my truck in the early morning in July.. Ennis needed to get warm, and that coupled with his growing warm feelings for Jack, and just plain old teenaged horniness, resulted in the action in Tent Scene One
Yes,it´s what I meant before...For me it was a complete group of feelings and sensations that carried to the FNIT ;Ennis felt an attraction for Jack in every sense of the word-perhaps much before we can see in that night-.That´s why he was so rapid,uh,Jeff?.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
As someone who has been dragged out into the wilderness for camp outs with butch men, I can tell you that the quickest way to get the tent warmed up is a little nookie action, trust me.

Offline Artiste

about that first time in the tent, whether in the short story or the film: The reason the action went so fast was because Ennis was already erect when Jack reached around and grabbed Ennis's hand and placed it on his own erection.
well said Jeff!!

That was so in the book?

Hugs!! May all tents in the world have such actions!!

moremojo

If Ennis was erect in the tent, it's not at all clear that Jack could have known this when he put Ennis's hand upon his (Jack's) own tumescence. If Jack had sensed or known this, it would make his action seem less impulsive and risky.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
If Ennis was erect in the tent, it's not at all clear that Jack could have known this when he put Ennis's hand upon his (Jack's) own tumescence. If Jack had sensed or known this, it would make his action seem less impulsive and risky.

Yes?

We can't tell how closely they're huddled together for warmth. My guess now is that Ennis was erect, and Jack could feel it.

A 19-year-old can get pretty hard pretty fast, I guess, even if he's drunk. But still, it's troubled me that the penetration is almost instantaneous. This could be explained if Ennis was already erect.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Yes?

We can't tell how closely they're huddled together for warmth. My guess now is that Ennis was erect, and Jack could feel it.

A 19-year-old can get pretty hard pretty fast, I guess, even if he's drunk. But still, it's troubled me that the penetration is almost instantaneous. This could be explained if Ennis was already erect.

Jeff, I think that you are correct! I hadn't considered that Ennis was entirely aware of Jack's plans, but now I think he knew what was going to happen.

AP writes, "...with the help of the clear slick and a little spit, he entered him, nothing he'd done before but no instruction manual needed."

The "clear slick" part of that qoute tells me that Ennis may have been erect for a while. Maybe Ennis was playing that old game my frat brothers used to play, he was pretending to not be interested, just laying there waiting. "oh last night, I was asleep, sure was a lot of noise in the halls!" yep, I've heard that one before.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Is it not human nature to strive for more?  For example, we all go to work each day, but dream about a better future for us, for our families.  People work hard for promotions, go to college etc.  It may not be utopia that we seek but we certainly hope for progression. 

Applying the same theory to relationships, couples get married/become civil partners (in Scotland).  People want more-more security, or, in Jack’s case, a commitment. 

It was never mentioned in the film, but it appeared to me that during the twenty years previously, trips were never cancelled.  The blow up occurred during their final meeting and neither mentioned the fact that trips were always being put off, simply that they weren’t long/often enough.

If that is the case, then Ennis gave Jack as much of a commitment that he could. On that basis, maybe Jack was thinking that love grows, children get older, society moves on and one day, one day….   

Sandy

P.S. Wrangler, it did seem instantaneous and I thank you for explaining why!  Sandy slaps forehead!