Author Topic: Who was this friend of Jesus?  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Who was this friend of Jesus?
« on: December 22, 2007, 01:53:29 pm »
We've all heard of the beloved disciple in the gospel of John, but I had not really thought about how he might show up in the gospel of Mark.

I'd like to use this thread to compile and discuss passages that might refer to this man. As always, these things are open to interpretation, so feel free to share your thoughts if you like.

I'll start with what we have seen in Mark, and then we can go from there.

Hope everyone's having a good day.   :-*
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

Re: Who was this friend of Jesus?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 01:58:33 pm »
Mark 10: 17-27

As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. 19You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'"

"Teacher," he declared, "all these I have kept since I was a boy."

Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"

The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

The disciples were even more amazed, and said to each other, "Who then can be saved?"

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 02:07:35 pm »
Mark 14:3-9. According to John, this woman was Mary, the sister of Lazarus. Jesus had gone to Bethany this evening to be with Lazarus, who reclined at the table with him.

While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.

Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, "Why this waste of perfume? It could have been sold for more than a year's wages and the money given to the poor." And they rebuked her harshly.

"Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 02:13:51 pm »
Mark 14:50-52. Judas brings the authorities to Gethsemane, and identifies Jesus by kissing him.

The other disciples all left Him and fled.

A young man was following Him, wearing nothing but a linen sheet over his naked body; and they seized him.

But he pulled free of the linen sheet and escaped naked.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:19:30 pm »
Mark 16:1-8. Maybe the young man in the tomb was the same man?

When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might come and anoint Him.

Very early on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen.

They were saying to one another, "Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?"

Looking up, they saw that the stone had been rolled away, although it was extremely large.

Entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting at the right, wearing a white robe; and they were amazed.

And he said to them, "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him.

"But go, tell His disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see Him, just as He told you.'"

They went out and fled from the tomb, for trembling and astonishment had gripped them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 02:23:35 pm »
We do not learn a name for this man in the gospel of Mark, but in John he is called Lazarus, which means "helped by God."

It has been suggested that he is the son of one of the high priests, a position that rotated at the time among five brothers.

This could explain why we have a Lazarus in John who is raised from the dead, as well as a Lazarus in Luke who appears only in a parable as a poor man suffering outside the gate of a rich man with several brothers.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:26:30 pm »
There's some interesting stuff in this website ...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pharseas.world/scripture.html#Lazarus%20and%20John

Don

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 11:38:46 pm »
To quote:
"Leave her alone," said Jesus. "Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

Somehow, may I say that this is similar to Annie story and the BM movie, in a way may I say.
Especially:
The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could.

It reminds me of Heath quest as Ennis... may I say!

Hugs!