Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4528152 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11690 on: June 27, 2013, 02:24:36 am »
We're having an American exchange student living with us for the next two plus weeks. It's the return visit of my daughter's US trip last fall.

Yesterday another exchange student came visiting and the two American girls chatted about their first experiences in Germany. The visiting girl was totally excited "Matthew had a beer! Can you imagine!" LOL. :laugh:
The organizing teacher had told us that the exchange students (teenagers, all of them) are always out of their mind with the possibility to go into a bar and even order alcohol. He warned that some of them can't handle the newfound freedom and come home totally drunk. So I set up my daughter to keep an eye on her exchange partner last night when they went out to celebrate a birthday. But it wasn't really necessary, Caroline is a good girl. Very friendly and normal, not high-maintenance at all, she fits right in with us.

Today we'll visit a castle ruins near us, where you go up the mountain in a chair lift. Up there are plenty hiking paths, a deer enclosure, the ruins to explore and a café on the castle's terrace, with a fantastic view over the Rheinebene (Rhine River Valley). I hope the weather holds and it won't rain at least.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11691 on: June 27, 2013, 08:19:02 am »
Sounds like the experience is going well!   Fantastic!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11692 on: June 28, 2013, 04:05:07 pm »
Sounds like you're really giving her the time of her life, Chrissi. And like you're enjoying it too!

Good luck!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11693 on: June 28, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
Sounds fun Chrissi.. I remember doing a french exchange back in 1996 - was such an exciitng time to be in another country living their life..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11694 on: July 04, 2013, 10:37:30 am »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11695 on: July 05, 2013, 01:26:38 am »
For our American group a hike with picnic had been planned for yesterday. Sadly, it poured down yesterday morning so the hike was cancelled and they simply met for a picnic somewhere.

At picking up my exchange girl:

Me: How was it?
C: Boring. That wasn't a picnic. There were no hotdogs, burgers and stuff. We only had the food we had brought ourselves and there weren't any games.

:laugh:
Wellllll, sometimes there are cultural differences. ;D
The hiking was supposed to represent the entertainment part, and since it fell flat, the kids had to entertain themselves. The German kids didn't mind that they could just hang around, being lazy and getting into talking 'n all. The American kids awaited the teachers to pull off some impromtu entertainment programm and were bored to death when they didn't.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11696 on: July 05, 2013, 08:46:00 am »
 :laugh:

Funny story Chrissi, although I have to say, I would've considered that a picnic.  "Hamburgers and hot dogs nad stuff" to me is more BBQ than picnic.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11697 on: July 05, 2013, 09:40:38 am »
Now I have a second exchange student, lol :laugh:

One of them doesn't get along too well with their host family and didn't want to go on a weekend-trip with them, even though she had happily agreed to it beforehand.
That's how come I end up with two American teenagers for the weekend. To say it with George Takei: Oh myyy. ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11698 on: July 05, 2013, 12:26:21 pm »

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11699 on: July 05, 2013, 01:03:40 pm »
Good luck with your exchange student, er, students, Chrissi! One came to stay with us from Japan for a summer. We were perhaps not ideally matched because the Japanese girl was 16 and my kids were 7 and 10 years old. Also, at that time, I didn't have any experience with teenagers, so that led to a few interesting escapades. One of the more interesting cultural differences was that the Japanese students were very reticent and shy. I remember a buffet dinner where we couldn't get the students to step up to the table and help themselves to food. We ended up having to practically shoo and drag them to the table!
"chewing gum and duct tape"