Author Topic: The Mayor's Christmas & New Year Message  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
The Mayor's Christmas & New Year Message
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
Christmas Tree-Full Moon (Courtesy: Meryl)
The Mayor's Christmas & New Year's Message to the Community

Sometimes it seems we spend the better part of December trying to fulfill the commercial expectations that come from the Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or Solstice season. Running ourselves ragged in area stores to find the perfect gift, attend the usual office parties, visit with friends, neighbors and especially extended families that often seem off our radar at other times of the year. Then, for many, it's off to church or synagogue to understand the religious meanings these holidays have for many people. So it is fitting that with December 25th now past, it's time to also assess what you've managed to accomplish this past year. It's now two years out from Brokeback Mountain for most people. How are you doing? Did you take "Jack... I swear...." to heart and commit to the message? Is it time for a spiritual renewal and a recommitment towards positive change and forward momentum?

BetterMost is first and foremost a community committed to always nudging its residents towards doing what is needed to stop missing life's opportunities. In 2007, many of us took this to heart and extended it with two great meet-ups in Colorado and Alberta. It's probably the next best thing to re-energize you when the film or story just doesn't work the same magic anymore. It's so important not to allow negativity and distraction to divert precious energy away from the goals you set for yourself.

If you've successfully completed your process of life change and you have done all you can to apply the principles from the story, you are a better person than I. For me, it's a process that comes with bursts of energy and then periods of inaction or distraction. I don't have the emotional kick in the teeth that a story first read or seen provided to focus my attention. Meeting with many of you and visiting the "holy places" in Alberta definitely helped refocus me.

BetterMost was created first and foremost to explore the emotions that come from the story and the film and how they impact on our lives. If this were just a forum to discuss the issue of homosexuality, we might as well just be a forum on Gay.com. If this were just a fan club for Heath and Jake, we would have already moved on to their next films. No, BetterMost is a community that tries to get in touch with our emotions more than our physicality. Because the emotional impact of the film was what made it become such a crucial part of our lives. And after we've done our "spiritual homework" for the day and been there to support each other through difficult times, then we can kick back, relax, and have fun here.

I hope we will all recommit ourselves to "The Process" as we near the end of 2007 and start a new year together. If you're so inclined feel free to share your achievements and challenges from this past year! All my best wishes for a wonderful holiday season.

Phillip M. Dampier
Mayor, BetterMost
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: The Mayor's Christmas & New Year Message
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:45:32 pm »
Thank you, Phillip. That's a great reminder for me.  :) Shasta
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 03:23:05 pm »
In the past year, I have been confronted and wrestled with the Demon of Infatuation, which shook me up quite a bit. Made me examine my relationship, my intentions, my responcibilities to myself and others. A great deal of introspection followed.

In the process I came out to a family member, began to deal with my significant other in a proactive manner, made attempts to improve my physical health which I will pick back up in the spring. Am now taking steps to put myself on a different path workwise and economically. Spiritually, I grew immensely, and am sustained even on the worst days by this extrodinary feeling of love and well being flowing thru me from the cosmos.

I have come to agree with Margaret Cho. I am the one that I want. It puts it in a much better perspective.

;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:03:02 am by Shakestheground »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 03:25:48 pm »
Thanks Phillip!!! The words you express certainly present words of wisdom  and focus to me. And once they sink in more I may express more.

Jack

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 05:06:49 pm »
I can't say I dealt with anything that was more or less important than anyone else in this universe.  I wasn't the easiest year, but it was, after all, a good one.  I lost my employment and two days later I lost my beloved dog Rupert, and those events still hover over me.  The tough times were really tough, but there are folks here, Karen and Janice in particular, who helped me a great deal through the worst of it, though you all picked me up when I needed it.  In the end, if we have let the spirit of love enter our souls, then there will always be many hands to lift us up when we fall.  I am very lucky to have felt great love from someone whom I love, and for him, "I'll be there."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 05:36:36 pm »
If this were just a forum to discuss the issue of homosexuality, we might as well just be a forum on Gay.com. If this were just a fan club for Heath and Jake, we would have already moved on to their next films. No, BetterMost is a community that tries to get in touch with our emotions more than our physicality. Because the impact of the film was what made it become such an emotional crucial part of our lives. And after we've done our "spiritual homework" for the day and been there to support each other through difficult times, then we can kick back, relax, and have fun here.

Wow, that's it in a nutshell, isn't it?! Thank you Mayor, for summarizing BetterMost so succinctly!! Let's see, my challenges and achievements in 2007? I think the thing I am most proud of was feeding (with the help of my amazing, wonderful, and sexy chefs) 200 people at BBQ 2007!! My biggest challenge? Just a measly little 6,000-ft bump called Mount Washington!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 08:05:28 am »

NO FEAR

Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 05:36:11 pm »
Great Gay Holidays to all here on Bettermost and on earth!![/move]

It is wonderful to read your kind words Phillip and always too from others on Bettermost, no matter which subjects: Brokeback Mountain book or film or script, gay or straight or bi or?, female issues, etc., since Annie Proulx raises us to become better!!

Oui, oui we share on Bettermost and we all educate ourselves, even if we struggle to understand at times!!

Hugs!! I see br. Patrick's no fear since we discover freedom on Bettermost!!

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 11:04:48 pm »
Thanks for starting this off, Phillip.

Some pretty good things have happened in my life since I first saw the movie in February 2006 and decided that I needed to be more Jack and less Ennis if I didn't want to end up where I was headed. Several events in 2006 gave me a start on the changes, but the biggest test was my first trip to Alberta in June. I went up there with some very specific goals, and in order to accomplish them I really had to step outside my comfort zone; I had to be Jack. But I did it and I felt really good about myself because of it. It was a side of me that I hadn't seen for a very long time. For a while I thought that maybe it was just because I was up there that I was able to be someone different, but lately I've been seeing things in myself that tell me that I didn't leave it all behind up in Alberta. I've noticed that some of those changes have come back home with me and are starting to be a part of who I am becoming now, and I'm really happy to see that happening.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 06:39:10 pm »
Some pretty good things have happened in my life since I first saw the movie in February 2006 and decided that I needed to be more Jack and less Ennis if I didn't want to end up where I was headed. Several events in 2006 gave me a start on the changes, but the biggest test was my first trip to Alberta in June. I went up there with some very specific goals, and in order to accomplish them I really had to step outside my comfort zone; I had to be Jack. But I did it and I felt really good about myself because of it. It was a side of me that I hadn't seen for a very long time. For a while I thought that maybe it was just because I was up there that I was able to be someone different, but lately I've been seeing things in myself that tell me that I didn't leave it all behind up in Alberta. I've noticed that some of those changes have come back home with me and are starting to be a part of who I am becoming now, and I'm really happy to see that happening.

Wow... to be honest I thought this was more of something that would be written by me.  After meeting you and seeing just how organized and ready-to-get-going you were, apparently your first trip made a major impact because I would have never assumed this about you.

I often find putting myself in Ennis' shoes when dwelling on emotional things I cannot change, and being more aggressively Jack on things I always have self-doubts about does work.

For me, just knowing I am not the only one going through something and being able to see how someone else deals with it has been very useful and comforting.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming