Author Topic: What Did You Get For The Holidays?  (Read 43994 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
What Did You Get For The Holidays?
« on: December 28, 2007, 06:57:46 pm »
Now is the chance to take some pics of your Xmas/holiday gifts and share them with us.

This was the year of keeping it simple for me - both in getting and giving.

Getting

From Dad: A Wal-Mart gift card.  Yes, it oppresses Main Street independent shops and their employees, but for certain useful staples, they're always a good option.  And I'm unconvinced the Big K and Targét are really that much better - the latter is like Wal-Mart with a touch more class and add 15% to every price.  A useful gift, even if not the most inspired (and my father is usually terrible at creative gift giving).

From John: I have a clock fetish.  I have not less than 20 clocks around here of all different kinds, but mechanical (and noisy) ones are my favorites.  One of my distant aunts left me her grandfather clock which took just over a year to rehabilitate and it finally got here just a week or two before Xmas, so now I have another along with the two mantel clocks, one spartan brass chime wall clock, and the cuckoo in the kitchen.  Every 15 minutes is craziness around here.  John built me a clock using hand blown glass tubes from the old Soviet Union or Russia that have tiny filaments inside that light up and are effectively the very first lit digit "LCD-style" clock.  Each filament can be lit and there are enough there to support every digit.  This is early 1940s technology and looks it.  He built the small desk-style clock for me, which is cool.

From Others Who Bear Cash/Giftcards: The bulk of the rest of the gifts are the useful pair of new gloves, cash, gift certificates, and from John's mom - a Swiss-style handy multi-tool keychain thing that can break auto glass, slice through seatbelts, or whatever else I need to survive my next big car accident.  Jolly joker.

Giving

For Dad & John: New cellphones - the Verizon contract was up.  A simple one for my father who doesn't need a lot of glitz (I have him on my cell account so he gets the service for free), and a Chocolate phone for John and I.  John has learned more about the thing than I've had a chance to.  They look like reasonably nice phones, although the buttons are a bit small for my fat fingers.

For John's parents: A new basic Dell computer system.  The old one has to be more than five years old now.  Dell has some amazing pricing on perfectly decent desktop and notebook computers.  We have to install it over there.

For My Sister: A nice gift card for Macy's.  What's not to like about that.

For My Cousin: He loves my Fantazein clock and China has managed to ripoff their design and sell their own for a lower price.  So now he's getting one.  The digits appear to be floating in air.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What Did You Get For The Holidays?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 03:37:26 pm »
I received a wonderful gift from my daughter this Xmas. It was a lovely hand knitted hat in a color I'll just have to call golden light because I can't describe it any other way. The hat has a fancy lacy stitch that is NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES, lol! She appliqued a flower knitted in baby alpaca, with a center made of pearls, to the hat.

Rolled up in the hat was a scarf knitted out of baby alpaca!! It had, and needed no decoration because the lacy stitching made a combination of flowers, branches, and leaves. I was so thrilled to get this present that I started crying tears of joy!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:00:06 pm »
I received a wonderful gift from my daughter this Xmas. It was a lovely hand knitted hat in a color I'll just have to call golden light because I can't describe it any other way. The hat has a fancy lacy stitch that is NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES, lol! She appliqued a flower knitted in baby alpaca, with a center made of pearls, to the hat.

Rolled up in the hat was a scarf knitted out of baby alpaca!! It had, and needed no decoration because the lacy stitching made a combination of flowers, branches, and leaves. I was so thrilled to get this present that I started crying tears of joy!!

Oh wow, this is really a present of love. I can understand your tears of joy and emotion.
I would love to see a picture of it, if you're inclined to.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 06:12:24 pm »

This package from a friend in San Francisco arrived (how??) on Christmas Day--it was waiting for me after a lovely evening (and a wonderful dinner).

Today, Boxing Day, I opened (and photographed) the surprise package while eating a 'Harry and David' Pear, crème brûlée, and dark chocolate--previous presents. Quel loot!

How thoughtful is that? All I need is the toast!

I hope you all  had a wonderful Christmas!!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 08:06:45 pm »
Outstanding friend!! Chrissi I will have pics very shortly!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 08:50:28 pm »
Let's see.......

I got about 6 outfits for work, and one casual one.

cash.

American Express gift card $100.00.

Kings (supermarket) gift card for $25.00.

two books...."The Daily News" (headlines and front pages of the past) and "The Mayor of Castro Street".

I gave out:

Dad - gift cards to Home Depot
Mom - selection of Yankee Candles
Mike (brother) - gift card to Home Depot
Michelle (sister in law) - gift card to Bed, Bath Beyond
Chris (brother) - cash and a t-shirt that says "Guess what?  Chicken butt!"
Shana (niece) - Amex gift card.
Eric (sister in law's brother) - cash

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 10:39:36 pm »
We've been snowed in, and so gifts were pretty much confined to IOUs for after the weather gets better, and whatever my husband managed to find on his walking foray to the drugstore down the street.

Also, since we already have what we need, it was good to keep it simple, even for Mini-Meno.  Still, I am now the surprised owner of a Roomba (which I haven't tried yet, and am not sure how I feel about), some Almond Roca (drugstore) and a cool book called Birdscapes, among a few other things. 

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 11:18:50 pm »

Still, I am now the surprised owner of a Roomba (which I haven't tried yet, and am not sure how I feel about)--

Have fun! (Do you have a cat?)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-jv8g1YVI&feature=related[/youtube]
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 11:55:47 pm »

Well I hit the holiday jackpot.   My hubby went early and bought me a new flat screen tv.  He also got me a blue ray dvd player, so I could
watch The Dark Knight in blue ray.  Then two days later my computer died.  I put it in the shop to be fixed, and after two weeks they informed me
that it was not to be.  Therefor I got to go out and buy a new Acer computer...  So wow I was blessed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:19:56 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 12:28:01 am »
wow.

Janice, glad you got a new comp, but I hope you didn't lose anything you had saved on the old one!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!