Author Topic: 16 Things All Good Republicans Know  (Read 10030 times)

vkm91941

Re: 16 Things All Good Republicans Know
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 02:38:00 am »
Now this is just plain WRONG...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 02:48:09 am »
Now this is just plain WRONG...

Uh yeah you can say that again!  ::)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 06:30:30 am »
Vick, that HAS to be a joke, right? It has to be, but then you never know!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

vkm91941

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 10:00:24 am »
Vick, that HAS to be a joke, right? It has to be, but then you never know!

Well I certainly HOPE so, but you never know.  Stranger things have turned out to be true and some people will do anything for money including preying on the irrational fears of others.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2006, 03:26:14 pm »
OMG! This thread is cracking me up! More political cartoons, please.

From a loyal Democrat (with a good sense of humor).  ;D
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 01:11:10 pm »
10. Global warming is junk science, but creationism should be taught in schools.

Ah hah, two of my favorite topics. Whether global warming is junk or not remains to be seen. We Americans see a possible problem, are at least thinking about it, and we are taking steps to address this problem. Look at the reductions in auto, powerplant,and industry smokestack emissions - something like 90% since the early seventies.

The reduction is auto emissions is remarkable. A side benefit is the increase in fuel efficiency.  Heating boilers used to get 45% to 55% heat transferance, if you were lucky. Today 80% and higher is the norm. AC's used to have an EER of 5 perhaps, now they hover around 10. Homes and buildings are are tighter, appliances better, requiring less of that efficiently produced energy.

My opinion is  global warming  is a mix of a natural cycle and greenhouse emissions. I believe it is an addressable problem. It is not the end of the world as so many naysayers would have you believe. I don't believe Antarctica will become a tropical paradise any time soon, nor will Brooklyn find itself under 6 feet of water.

Actually if you read about the geological record Antarctica was once a tropical paradise, so perhaps global warming is a natural cycle of the earth after all.

(and I will leave the interesting intelligent design opinion for another post.)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2006, 02:06:55 pm »
Coyote, have you seen "An Inconvenient Truth"?  I think Al Gore proves that global warming is not junk science and also that we *do* have the power to reverse it.  I urge anyone who is in disbelief/denial about either fact and anyone, like you and me, who realizes global warming is real and an important problem but isn't sure whether anything can be done about it to go see this movie.
No more beans!

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 12:06:06 am »
As an optomist, I am of the opinion that any problem can be solved if enough brainpower is applied. I feel it is a negative dead end to wring our collective hands while crying 'woe is upon the human race'. - As the envoirnmental movement so often does.

There appears to be a problem here, lets see what can be done about it. We sit on vast storehouses of human knowledge, insight, engineering prowess, and computing power today. We will use these resources as we always have. In fact we work better when well motivated. And what better motivation than a crisis?

THe human race is growing exponentially,80 million per year, all these people need a place to live, to eat, and presumably to follow a happy life. The real problem with global warming is not found in the US or in the European countries, it is found in exploding populations of Africa, South America, the middle east, and India/Pakistan.

If I could wave a magic wand and tommorow the US was a model of perfect envoirnmental balance, it would have absolutely no effect on global warming. THis is the problem I have with envoirnmental Cassandras like Al Gore, They see a small part of the picture and extrapolate a future of doom,  while ignoring the 500 lb gorilla in the living room.

This thing we call 'nature' or 'the envoirnment' has tremendous wisdom. Nature knows things are out of whack. It knows how many people can reasonably be expected to live on this planet. Nature has no morality and will find an efficient way to keep the population under control. I lay odds on an epidemic like we've never seen before laying waste to this planet long before 1 inch of sea level rise occurs. AIDS? Bird Flu? Something even worse?

And who is to say that global warming is not just another way for 'nature' to deal with the overpopulated earth? Scorch the farmland, drought, too much rain, crop failure, followed by famine and once again the population is, shall we say 'controlled'?

The earth has been here for 4 billion years and it will still be here when the sun goes supernova. We will get a handle on this global warming problem ourselves or nature will most definetly do it for us. As a betting guy, I'd lay odds on our ingenuity and resourcefullness in a crisis.