Author Topic: George Stevens Jr. on Diane Rehm  (Read 2227 times)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
George Stevens Jr. on Diane Rehm
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:43:41 pm »
Hi guys,
Just wanted to comment:

George Stevens, Jr. was on the Diane Rehm show today, hawking his new book of interviews with directors of the "golden age" of Hollywood.  Towards the end of the hour, Diane cited an email from a listener still upset at Brokeback Mountain's loss of best picture Oscar to Crash, and could Stevens comment on that.  He gave a bland "five strong, independent films..." response.  Diane pressed him on the depiction of homosexuality in the movie and the topic in Hollywood in general.  He acknowledged that, while the film "got made" (showing that some part of Hollywood is ready), film studios are owned by GE and TimeWarner and gigantic corporations with ultimately conservative values... or something.  He seems like a reasonably thoughtful guy but not exceptionally so.

I give Diane credit for pressing the issue at least a little bit -- for reading the email, in fact.

Anyone else hear it?
By the way hi hi hi.  I'm here, I'm queer (the old-fashioned sense of odd), I love ya!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: George Stevens Jr. on Diane Rehm
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:22:47 pm »
Dag nab it, I missed it.  Good for her for pressing the issue, though. 
No more beans!

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:09:16 pm »
well, he probably didn't want to get into it too much. it's a whole can of worm that can't be covered in the last minutes of a show.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:23:31 pm »
You're so right, Starby.  I also suppose he has to maintain a detachment about any movies he talks about... although he sure plugged Ron Howard as a director whose work we'll be watching in 50 or 100 years, citing in particular Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind.  Hmm.  And then Diane read a release from Yahoo News that the Da Vinci Code's initial reviews from Cannes are mediocre to baaaaad.  Yikes!