Author Topic: Cameras: Film or Digital?  (Read 13670 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Cameras: Film or Digital?
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:45:05 pm »
I love cameras. But it wasn't until AFTER I obtained a degree in photography that I discovered I really don't have much of a talent for taking pictures. Oh sure, I know my way around a camera, but understanding lighting, color and camera settings really doesn't do you much good unless you have a creative eye. Composition is my weakest link.

I like both film and digital cameras. Up until recently I was using my film cameras most of the time; a Hasselblad medium format and a Nikon SLR.

Then in 2006 I gave in and decided to purchase a Canon A70 digital camera. It was only a 3.3 mp camera but it took beautiful pictures and it was small enough to stick in my pocket. Soon after, I bought a Sony F-717 5 mp digital camera. I liked the SLR style of the camera, even though it is actually a point and shoot with a large barrel lens. It also takes gorgeous pictures.

This past summer Canon released its G9 digital camera, and I just had to buy it. I love the G Series, and this camera had everything I was looking for.

Since purchasing the G9, I haven't picked up my film cameras. I think I've finally been convinced.

If you are looking for a good camera resource on the internet, I can recommend a few. Here's a good place to start...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

What camera(s) do you own? Do you like digital? Or do you prefer film?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Cameras: Film or Digital?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:55:06 pm »
I finally got a digital this past summer. I think in the long run -- digitals will save you money if you take a lot of pictures. I bought a Canon Power Shot SD 1000 Digital Elph. I wonder if it's called "elph" because it's so small?  :P I love it. It was supposed to have such a short lag time. It's not that short. I may not know how to use it to the best of its abilty yet.

That's cool David--you have a photography degree. Any desire for a studio or wedding/graduation business?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:58:25 pm »
I have a Minolta 35 mm camera I rarely use anymore, when I go on vacation I like to buy disposable cameras (just in case I lose or hurt them) and I have a Canon Power Shot A530 digital camera.

I like to take pics and have been selling some of my pictures! I made about $600 last year on them. (I know not much! but still exciting to me!)

I want want want a SLR so bad!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:04:56 pm »
I have a Minolta 35 mm camera I rarely use anymore, when I go on vacation I like to buy disposable cameras (just in case I lose or hurt them) and I have a Canon Power Shot A530 digital camera.

I like to take pics and have been selling some of my pictures! I made about $600 last year on them. (I know not much! but still exciting to me!)

I want want want a SLR so bad!!

Hey Jess!! That's wonderful!! I'd love to see some of your pictures! :D

I'm glad you own a Canon. I'm familiar with the A530. Silver and 5 mp, isn't it? Canon makes the best cameras (in my opinion). They are all very good cameras. The Dig!c imaging processor really helps too. It removes a lot of the "noise" from digital pictures, one of the things that turned me away from digital at first.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:07:29 pm »
I finally got a digital this past summer. I think in the long run -- digitals will save you money if you take a lot of pictures. I bought a Canon Power Shot SD 1000 Digital Elph. I wonder if it's called "elph" because it's so small?  :P I love it. It was supposed to have such a short lag time. It's not that short. I may not know how to use it to the best of its abilty yet.

That's cool David--you have a photography degree. Any desire for a studio or wedding/graduation business?

Another Canon user!! Yay!! Those Elph cameras are also very good. :D

No, I don't plan to open any studios. I worked for a photography studio here in town for a few years. I was also a free lance photographer for a while and I wasn't very good at it. That's about all I've done with my degree.

injest

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:14:31 pm »
Hey Jess!! That's wonderful!! I'd love to see some of your pictures! :D

I'm glad you own a Canon. I'm familiar with the A530. Silver and 5 mp, isn't it? Canon makes the best cameras (in my opinion). They are all very good cameras. The Dig!c imaging processor really helps too. It removes a lot of the "noise" from digital pictures, one of the things that turned me away from digital at first.

ok! here is one...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:22:33 pm »
WOW Jess!!! That is beautiful!! Did you take this picture with your digital camera?

You really have a very good eye for photography!! Contratulations! :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 09:24:19 pm »
Very pretty! That would be thrilling to make money with the pictures you take!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 09:35:13 pm »
That is a very interesting picture of the horse. Do you remember what aperture value you used? It looks like around f/4.5. I love the angle. It's very captivating.

I leave my camera set on aperture priority most of the time. I love experimenting with depth of field. I also use the manual setting quite a bit. Canon cameras have a large array of goodies; lots of fun to play around with.

injest

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:36:02 pm »
WOW Jess!!! That is beautiful!! Did you take this picture with your digital camera?

You really have a very good eye for photography!! Contratulations! :)

I really liked the horse one (I did it in black and white too) but the owner didn't like it!!

>:( >:(

injest

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 09:37:31 pm »
That is a very interesting picture of the horse. Do you remember what aperture value you used? It looks like around f/4.5. I love the angle. It's very captivating.

I leave my camera set on aperture priority most of the time. I love experimenting with depth of field. I also use the manual setting quite a bit. Canon cameras have a large array of goodies; lots of fun to play around with.

*blush*

I don't know what that means..I just put it on automatic..I want to learn more but havent experimented too much. Can you change the settings a lot on this one? Do you know anything about the model I have?

injest

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:40:27 pm »

wait I just remembered the computer would tell you! (it is the first time I looked...it says 5.5)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 09:51:12 pm »
wait I just remembered the computer would tell you! (it is the first time I looked...it says 5.5)

Yeah, I figured you were using a mid aperture range. It's a beautiful picture Jess!

*blush*

I don't know what that means..I just put it on automatic..I want to learn more but havent experimented too much. Can you change the settings a lot on this one? Do you know anything about the model I have?

I think the A530 camera has an AUto, Program and a Manual setting. If you set the camera to the Manual mode (M) you should be able to adjust the aperture. You probably have an aperture range of f/2.8 - f/8. This is a typical range of most digital cameras; especially Canon. Basically the lower the aperture value, the less depth of field in the picture. A higher aperture value yields more depth of field. So, if you set your aperture to 2.8, the depth of field in the photo would be minimal. Setting the aperture at f/7.1 or f/8.0 will result in much greater depth of field. Sometimes, when you use a narrow aperture (higher F number) you will also have to slow down the shutter speed a little, since less light is coming into the camera. But bumping up the ISO setting will also help. ISO determines how sensitive the sensor in your camera will be to light. ISO 100-200 (not sensitive) ISO 400-800 (sensitive) ISO settings above 800 are very sensitive. Using an ISO of 800 and above will often mean you can shoot a well developed picture in poor lighting using a faster shutter speed, and often without a flash. It just depends on the lighting conditions.

injest

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 09:52:53 pm »
Yeah, I figured you were using a mid aperture range. It's a beautiful picture Jess!

I think the A530 camera has an AUto, Program and a Manual setting. If you set the camera to the Manual mode (M) you should be able to adjust the aperture. You probably have an aperture range of f/2.8 - f/8. This is a typical range of most digital cameras; especially Canon. Basically the lower the aperture value, the less depth of field in the picture. A higher aperture value yields more depth of field. So, if you set your aperture to 2.8, the depth of field in the photo would be minimal. Setting the aperture at f/7.1 or f/8.0 will result in much greater depth of field. Sometimes, when you use a narrow aperture (higher F number) you will also have to slow down the shutter speed a little, since less light is coming into the camera. But bumping up the ISO setting will also help. ISO determines how sensitive the sensor in your camera will be to light. ISO 100-200 (not sensitive) ISO 400-800 (sensitive) ISO about 800 is very sensitive. Using an ISO of 800 and above will often mean you can shoot a well developed picture using a faster shutter speed, and often without a flash. It just depends on the lighting conditions.

oh no...you know what this means?? huh??

I am gonna come to you with all my picture taking questions!!

You are TRAPPED!!

*evil laughter*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 09:58:52 pm »
oh no...you know what this means?? huh??

I am gonna come to you with all my picture taking questions!!

You are TRAPPED!!

*evil laughter*

That's okay Jess!! At least I will be doing SOMETHING with my photograhy degree! :laugh:

I'll be happy to help you!! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 10:03:08 pm »
Jess, here is a link to a lot of info about your camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a530.html

He has reviewed hundreds of cameras. It's a very interesting website.

Shasta, here is some info about your camera...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/sd1000.html

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 10:04:46 pm »
Jess, here is a link to a lot of info about your camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a530.html

He has reviewed hundreds of cameras. It's a very interesting website.

Shasta, here is some info about your camera...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/sd1000.html

Thanks!  :) I need to read up on it and try different settings. It will even make a little video I think, but I don't know how to do it yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 10:07:37 pm »
I bought my first digital camera a few months ago. Sony Cybershot. Love it!

I'm not the best picture taker. Certainly amateur. Cat pictures etc.

Back in the early 80s my brother sold me his Minolta 35mm. I still have that camera and always will. It's sentimental and has taken many world pictures. Mostly my brothers travels though.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 10:11:48 pm »
I bought my first digital camera a few months ago. Sony Cybershot. Love it!

I'm not the best picture taker. Certainly amateur. Cat pictures etc.

Back in the early 80s my brother sold me his Minolta 35mm. I still have that camera and always will. It's sentimental and has taken many world pictures. Mostly my brothers travels though.

Which Cyber shot model do you own Wishes? Sony makes excellent cameras. In addition to my Canon cameras, I also own a Sony Cyber shot. I bought my 717 a couple of years ago and I still use it. I love the night shot feature. I can literally take pictures in the pitch dark. The camera has an infra red sensor which allows the camera to focus accurately in total darkness. It can even take a picture in total darkness without the flash. But without the flash, the picture is totally gray; no color at all. If the flash is used, the image's colors are perfectly balanced. Those cyber shots are amazing cameras.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 10:16:18 pm »
That website is wonderful, David!! Very helpful!  :) I've been reading and experimenting. I'll use it some more later. Thank you. I bookmarked it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 10:17:52 pm »
That website is wonderful, David!! Very helpful!  :) I've been reading and experimenting. I'll use it some more later. Thank you. I bookmarked it.

You're very welcome!! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 10:18:37 pm »
Oops! My company is starting to trickle in! We are throwing a New Year's party! I'll be back later on!!!

injest

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 10:27:57 pm »
thank you for the site....I saved it to my favorites...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 02:35:47 am »
Thanks!  :) I need to read up on it and try different settings. It will even make a little video I think, but I don't know how to do it yet.

Not just little videos, it can make fairly long videos too! And I believe your camera will allow you to do some in camera editing as well. I know my G9 has this feature. If you are curious about the video capabilities of your camera, check out Steve's website. He outlines many of those features. If you need any additional help Shasta, just ask me and I'll do my best to walk you through it.

Those Elph cameras are very nice. Yes, I believe they named them "Elph" because of their size. In other countries they are called "Ixus". The Elph or Ixus cameras were designed to be very user friendly. For those looking for a powerful, high quality camera that can handle any shooting situation with a minimum of fuss should consider a Canon Elph. The camera is feature rich, but also "no fuss".  Just pick it up, aim it, press the shutter and the camera delivers a beautiful, high quality, well color balanced picture.

For those who wish to experiment with things like apertures and shutter speeds should look at the Powershot A series camera (Jess has one) or the Powershot G series (like the one I have). Just like the Elph, the A and G series cameras offer many features, but also allow the user to go in and tweak the settings; although the Elph cameras also allow some room for experimentation. I'm not sure if the Elph will let you manually adjust things like the aperture and shutter though.

Have fun with your camera Shasta! It's a good one, and it's very smart too! If you ever want a mini photography lesson, just set your camera to Auto, and try taking pictures in different lighting; dim lighting, bright, cloudy, etc.. and pay attention to the settings your camera is choosing for each of those conditions. Soon you will feel comfortable going in and adjusting some of those settings yourself as you become more and more familiar with your camera! :D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 02:38:49 am »
If you need any additional help Shasta, just ask me and I'll do my best to walk you through it.

Thanks, bud!!  ;) I won't hesitate!

Hope you and Alex had a great party!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 02:54:48 am »
Thanks!! Yes, we had a nice party. There's still a few people here. Most had designated drivers, and those who didn't rode home in "David's Taxi Service". Between Alex and I, we've been shuttling a few back home and they can pick their cars up in the morning.

Yes, it was fun. Fried chicken, hot dogs, barbeque, snacks and some hooch too! :laugh:

Thanks Shasta!! I hope you had a nice New Year's Eve too! It's hard to believe it is now 2008. Tempus Fugit.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 01:21:57 am »
David, I had no idea what I was buying really!  :) I had looked at cameras several times always leaving the store and that day I just told myself "you're not leaving here without a f-ing camera!" It's a DSC-W55, 7.1 megapixels. I'm not sure if that means anything. I basically decided on this camera because it was a Sony and I'm so glad it's easy to use.

Hope you had a very nice New Year!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 11:10:21 pm »

Shasta, you said your camera's lag time is not very short. Did you format your memory card after you put it in the camera? If so, did you use the Low Level Format option? If you didn't or if you are not sure, you might go back and try it. A low level format will speed up the reading/recording to the card.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 11:51:43 pm »
Shasta, you said your camera's lag time is not very short. Did you format your memory card after you put it in the camera? If so, did you use the Low Level Format option? If you didn't or if you are not sure, you might go back and try it. A low level format will speed up the reading/recording to the card.

No. I didn't do that. I'll have to figure out how to do it.  :) Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 09:03:16 am »
I responded "digital" to the poll. I never was very good with a camera. Actually, that's not the half of it. I was absolutely hopeless! Couldn't even put film in the camera properly, tst!  :-\

And then, a couple of years ago, I heard about foolproof photography with digital cameras.

So I went to the local electronics store near my workplace and had a look at their selection. I'm not proud to admit that I made my selection on looks alone! Pretty shallow of me, hey? I chose the tiniest, cutest, little camera they had! Sorta like choosing a car because you like the colour!

The camera I chose was an Olympus FE-100 with an AF zoom 6.2-17.4mm 1:3.0-5.0 lens (I hope you know what that means, David, 'cause I don't!!).

It is very cute! I love it like I love my mobile phone!   :D

I mainly use it to photograph art work, which it does brilliantly. It also takes very nice people pics and landscape shots. They're not professional quality, but they are certainly an improvement on the shockingly bad results I used to produce with a manual camera.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 08:05:24 pm »
I also love the sea ... and I just love taking pictures of the water (no idea why!!)

Are you a water sign, Susie? Maybe a Scorpio?

I am a Scorpio and have a very strong attraction to the sea, lakes, rivers . . . anything to do with water.

Love your pics.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 10:43:07 pm »
Why thank you Kerry ... actually I'm a Capricorn but I'm only 3 days off from being an Aquarius ... perhaps I was born premature, and I'm really an Aquarius at heart.

Susie  :D

You're three days off from being an Aquarius? You're on the cusp then Susie. You have some Aquarius qualities about you.

Susie, those pictures are awesome!! Are those some pictures from your vacation down south last summer? Yes, I love photographing people unposed too. Especially children and animals. The pictures are always much cuter, and the photo of your kids is a perfect example of this.

I also own an APS camera Susie, but I haven't been using it much since switching to digital. I have a Kodak Advantix C750 APS camera and I love it! You should come over to the camera club and join in on our discussion Susie. Please post your pictures over there too! You are a talented photographer and we would appreciate your advice and input. :)

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16098.0.html

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 12:35:01 am »
You never did pop over there Susie! We're still waiting for you over there! >:(

:) :)

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 11:52:26 pm »
I got my first digital camera this year, and i love it. don't think i would go back to using the film cameras.
sorry forgot we already in 2008, got it last yr
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

injest

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 10:30:16 am »
I got my first digital camera this year, and i love it. don't think i would go back to using the film cameras.
sorry forgot we already in 2008, got it last yr

I was determined to NOT get a digital camera...now I never leave the farm without it!!