Author Topic: The Importance Of Affection  (Read 8433 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Importance Of Affection
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:51:24 pm »
Just discovered your thread Melb_boy88 and find it great!!

I think I had posed about affection in one of my threads or someone's?? Like you, I would have liked much, much more scenes of affection between Ennis and Jack!! Therefore, am happy to praise your thread!! May it continue... long times!!

Concerning this as you say Melb: "You got one chance, to make this happen" But Jack misunderstands the conversation. He thinks its Ennis taking the control, he thinks Ennis wants to be the one to making the decisions. Jack makes a fatal error.
This has nothing to do with affection, but Its important.

May I reply as to question that! I think that it is the opposite?? Maybe??

Which scenes would you have liked more affection or have added?? May I ask you and to all too?

Hugs!!  May Hollywood and others add more and more affection gay scenes in their movies!!

injest

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 04:02:30 pm »
There's also that "sleeping spooned" scene when they are older...

loved that scene...it reminded me of the first night in the tent...Ennis behind Jack but this time his arm was around him by his own concious will..

Offline Artiste

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 04:19:40 pm »
That scene: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: TOoP/Bruce on Today at 02:14:14 PM

loved that scene...it reminded me of the first night in the tent...Ennis behind Jack but this time his arm was around him by his own concious will..

I do not remember that scene and dire to see it!! Can you give pic of it?

Hugs!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »
That scene: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: TOoP/Bruce on Today at 02:14:14 PM

I do not remember that scene and dire to see it!! Can you give pic of it?

Hugs!

Here is a picture of it.  (the one on the bottom).  It was shown right after the delivery of the line: "Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:33 pm »
Remember when Ennis saw the shirts for the first time: he held them close to his chest and buried his face in them.  I read sheer, desperate love but hey-affection forms a part that!

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 09:11:41 am »
First we see that in the tent, we see a different scene, Ennis is holding onto Jack, This time it isn't Ennis that's slipping away. Its Jack. Jack cant stand it. Jacks talking about Other people, Ennis knows the chooses his made were wrong, And he fears that one day Jack will just not turn up.

This was my explanation on the "Tent Scene - Where Ennis is hugging Jack.

BTW, I loved the pic.....

Artiste
May I reply as to question that! I think that it is the opposite?? Maybe??

Yeah, Opines are defiantly welcome.

Sandy
First, we have the amazing dozy embrace.  What makes this scene for me is the fact that Ennis takes Jack's lapel in his hand and strokes it.  He hasn't just grabbed him, or even thrown his arms around him: he is taking and breathing in as much of Jack as he can.  This stroking epitomises affection for me.  Yes, I know he didn't stroke Jack's skin, but that would take away from the scene.  It's cold and he would have to put his cold hands down his shirt (!), or it may have led to sex.  By rubbing the nearest part of Jack to his hand, he is showing his contentment.

Secondly, there is the No rein's scene where Jack strokes Ennis ear.  Wow! That single touch shows the intimacy and affection that they have!  Ennis looks as if he is about to flinch then leans in to enjoy the touch.  This is a touch which shows Jack reaching out to comfort Ennis at the nearest point to him, he touches his ear and says, “I hear you (maybe I'm stretching the symbolism too far!) and Ennis is allowing himself to be reassured. 

You explained it better than i did.  :laugh:

Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:45 am »
Thanks melb_boy88, thanks Sandy, thanks sfericsf!!!

Be happy to get more comments from you melb and Sandy and sferics, and from others too!!

I appreciate your pic sfericsf and thanks very much!! Hard for me to think since I just got a call that someone's mother passed away! So I see comfort as you can see worth of living in the comfort of that image divided into two parts!! Yes, it is in that bottom part that Ennis puts his arm over Jack!! We all need such caress and comfort!!

May I restate: Which scenes would you have liked more affection or have added?? May I ask you and to all too?

Any you would have added??

Hugs!! May we all humans seek and get comfort gestures from one another: straight, bi-s, gays, others!! And cherish them always!!

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 11:39:18 am »
Which scenes would you have liked more affection or have added?? May I ask you and to all too?

Apart from more sex scenes, which i mean this in the most UN dirtiest way.

In the "Second Tent Scene" we seen a moment of love, affection and disire. But most importantly, we see the pain the two men go through just to be able to reach there full desires.

Its a beautiful moment. The movie didn't have enough of them. Throughtout the movie we seen heartache and pain. We seen lives lost and lives unfulfilled.

I think there should have been more acts of affection. I wanted to feel there love and passion a lot more. Thoughout there 16 years of a secret affair all we see of this is at the end.

More, I say.  :D
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

injest

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 11:49:58 am »
Yes, I would have liked to see another love scene later in the movie (not even a sex scene necessarily  but SOME form of affection)

they rarely even touch each other in the later part of the film!

and I have read all the theories about less is more etc....and that more sex would have taken away from the movie...but I think that is just making lemonade out of lemons! I wanted more love scenes!

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:32 pm »
I completely agree with the fact that there are not enough love scenes in the latter part of the film.  I am not necessarily meaning sex scenes (although, of course, they would be welcome!), simply explicitly showing a little more love. 

This is because, at first glance, it seems that their relationship has become more friend-like than lovers, however looking deeper, a long term relationship does grow into an easy comfort and becomes more about making love than furious, insatiable lust.  I would therefore have loved to have seen them grow as a couple, i.e. holding hands etc.  That being said, we never saw them share a cigarette or drink from the same bottle at the start of the film.  That comes later, during the "miss you so much" scene at the lake (or loch as we Scots say!).

I firmly believe that the opposite of love/hate is indifference so their blow up at the end and Jack supporting Ennis shows the undying love and affection that still exists between them.

Lastly, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's loss Artiste.  I'm sure I speak for all when I say pass on our condolences.

Sandy