Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 497108 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2008, 12:32:57 am »
Try crouching down Jess so you can fit the entire length of the vine inside the LCD. Do you understand what I mean? I've been known to lay on the ground on my stomach to take a picture. If the vine is growing up a tree, get down on the ground and point the camera up to capture the length. Or try photographing the vine from a different angle. Setting a narrow aperture will help you obtain some additional depth of field. Try using a setting of f/7.1 - f/8.0. You will probably need to use a slower shutter speed, but this shouldn't be a problem since the vine is not moving.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2008, 12:37:38 am »
crap....slower shutter speed....I forgot I intended to get a tripod today....

I NEED a tripod!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2008, 12:42:12 am »
You could even purchase a table top tripod Jess. Then you could carry it around with you in your camera bag or purse. They sell them at Wal-Mart for about $10.00. Wal-Mart also has some full size tripods in the $15.00 to $25.00 range. Those table top tri-pods are sturdy enough to hold your camera. They stand about 12 inches high. They are small but they work and they can easily be moved around.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2008, 01:20:02 am »
Getting To Know Your Digital Camera

We will use the Canon A70 as our example, since it is an older digital camera and I am almost certain most people here will have most, if not all of its features on their cameras. Besides, this is the first digital camera I bought and I am familiar with it. It's a very good 3.2 megapixel camera and I still use it sometimes.

* The ring is sometimes referred to as a "dress ring" and it is used for attaching different lenses to the camera body.

* Most cameras come with a built in flash. Some higher end cameras also have a special bracket, called a hot shoe, at the top for mounting an external flash unit.

* The shooting mode dial is sometimes located on the back or side of the camera. In addition to scene and video modes, the photographer can use it to set various exposure modes such as Auto, Program (P) (an auto mode that allows the photographer to change the EV (exposure compensation), flash output, white balance, image size, light meters, Image quality, ISO and drives), Aperture Priority (indicated as either an "A" or "Av"), Shutter Priority (indicated as either an "S" or "Tv") and Manual (M) (giving the photographer full control of the camera).

*The zoom lever is usually located with the shutter release button. Pulling the lever back will zoom in on the image, pulling the lever forward will zoom back, or away from the image. In the Image Preview mode, the zoom lever allows the user to magnify the image to check for blur and image quality.

* Pressing the menu button normally brings up the main camera menu, allowing the user to change settings such as default camera sounds, the camera's clock and calendar, AiAF (Artificial Intelligence Auto Focus) on/off, red eye flash on/off, digital zoom on/off among other things.

* Pressing the Function button allows the user to change image dependent functions like ISO, flash modes and burst output, white balance, exposure compensation and image quality (superfine, fine and normal).

* The camera's display button allows the user to switch between basic display, detailed display (giving an on-screen display listing many of the camera's current settings such as shutter speed and aperture settings) and LCD off.

*Optical viewfinders will magnify the image in sync with the lens as the user zooms in on the subject. Many come with a diopter dial for adjusting to a particular user's eyesight. Optical viewfinders often only show 80-90 percent of the actual image (called parallax error), while the camera's LCD screen will display 100 percent of the image. Still, I highly suggest purchasing a camera with an optical viewfinder. Sometimes the LCD screen can be difficult to view in very bright lighting conditions. If you are running out of battery power, you can always switch off the LCD and use the optical viewfinder instead. You may not need an optical viewfinder very often, but it's nice to have, just in case.

* The Set button (called Enter on some cameras) is used to save information and settings to the camera's memory.

* The Mode Switch switches the camera between the camera mode and the image preview mode.

injest

« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2008, 01:20:58 am »
ok here is where I got confused and frustrated....

first I had to find an angle I liked. One of the things David keeps telling me is I am good at composition...so I am trying to consciously look at WHY I am taking the picture...and it took me a while to figure out on this what it was I was really wanting to photograph..(does that sound silly? I mean I knew I liked the view but WHAT did I like??)

so these pics were taken with the auto function...I am doing as you suggested David....taking the auto and looking at the settings the computer used:

I thought these were too light though...too washed out looking...just not right...

but I went too far the wrong direction and got this!!!

LOL!! yeah... a big whole lotta white!!

this one was too light too...

My Colors Mode   Vivid
Tv (Shutter Speed)   1/500
Av (Aperture Value)   3.2
ISO Speed   400

this one TOO dark!!

Tv (Shutter Speed)   1/500
Av (Aperture Value)   6.3
ISO Speed   400

and MANY tries later....

so close....so close...

Tv (Shutter Speed)   1/100
Av (Aperture Value)   6.3
ISO Speed   80

THERE!! Finally!!  :P :P

and only when I finally got it 'right' did I see what it was that I was trying for....the clarity of the reflection and the color and lighting...THOSE were the things that I was trying to capture...

Tv (Shutter Speed)   1/80

injest

« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2008, 01:42:00 am »
Getting To Know Your Digital Camera

*The zoom lever is usually located with the shutter release button. Pulling the lever back will zoom in on the image, pulling the lever forward will zoom back, or away from the image. In the Image Preview mode, the zoom lever allows the user to magnify the image to check for blur and image quality.

OH WOW!! DO you have ANY idea how helpful THIS will be to know?? It is hard for me to see that little screen! I didn't know you could make it zoom!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2008, 01:59:25 am »
Nice pictures Jess!! I'm glad to see you are experimenting some more. Was the first picture the only one you took in Auto? Because the last one is very nice. I like the one just above it too. And I'm glad you are photographing some landscape scenes. Landscapes are one of my favorites! I also like photographing things that glow, like night lights and candles.

Yes, you can zoom in on your images in the preview mode. Try it and see! :D

injest

« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2008, 02:01:14 am »
Nice pictures Jess!! I'm glad to see you are experimenting some more. Was the first picture the only one you took in Auto? Because the last one is very nice. I like the one just above it too. And I'm glad you are photographing some landscape scenes. Landscapes are one of my favorites! I also like photographing things that glow, like night lights and candles.

Yes, you can zoom in on your images in the preview mode. Try it and see! :D

the first four were all auto pics...it is funny how different pictures can be just by moving SLIGHTLY..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2008, 02:08:01 am »
the first four were all auto pics...it is funny how different pictures can be just by moving SLIGHTLY..

And yet my favorite ones are the bottom two! You are getting better Jess!! Keep up the good work! :D

injest

« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2008, 02:09:25 am »
And yet my favorite ones are the bottom two! You are getting better Jess!! Keep up the good work! :D

I can't take ALL the credit...I found this GREAT online tutorial....with a great, positive teacher that really inspires and encourages me!!