Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 501194 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:00 am »
Jess, here's another example of macro. I took this picture to help illustrate what I said to you in my post above. In this photo, I focused the camera on the edge of the "F" key. The camera "saw" the edge and focused on it rather than on the flat surface of the key. Focusing the camera on the letter "F" probably would have achieved successful results. Anything with an edge will work to your benefit when taking a macro picture.

Conditions: Dim incandescent light
Camera Equipment: Canon PowerShot G9
Camera Mode: Manual
Aperture: f/3.1
Shutter Speed: 1/4
White Balance: Auto
Light Meter: Center Weight Average
Exposure Compensation Value: + 1/3
ISO: 650
Flash: Low Burst, Sychro, Second Curtain
Other: Macro, Image Stabilization

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 04:06:57 am »
Image Stabilization helps, but it is far from perfect. I turned on the image stabilization and shook the camera considerably. Notice the camera did compensate for most of the shake, but not all of it. The word "Reese's" is a bit blurred. Case in point: Image Stabilization is a tool, not a cure. When in doubt, use a tripod. IS really is a very nice feature though.

Conditions: Overhead Incandescent light
Camera Equipment: Canon PowerShot G9
Camera Mode: Manual
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/2
White Balance: Auto
Light Meter: Evaluative
Exposure Compensation Value: + 1
ISO: 400
Flash: Off
Other: Optical zoom x2, Optical Image Stabilization

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 11:24:49 pm »
I wish Marlene would come over here and teach some of us about photo composition. I know I could use some help. I've never been very good at it.

Jess, you're good at composition too. Would you care to offer us (me) some tips?

injest

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 11:35:07 pm »
I wish Marlene would come over here and teach some of us about photo composition. I know I could use some help. I've never been very good at it.

Jess, you're good at composition too. Would you care to offer us (me) some tips?

SURE!! I would LOVE to share my knowledge...but first!

I gotta go find out what that is....be right back!!

injest

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 11:39:33 pm »

hm. Well I am not sure really.

I do try to focus on the main thing I want to photograph and then try to get everything I DON"T want out of the picture....I think most of mine is accidental..but I think I need to start being a bit more serious and pay attention to what and why I want to photograph something...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 11:45:56 pm »
My professors always told us a photograph should be interesting and tell a story. Anything less than that deserves a toss in the trash barrel. My photo comp professor continuously told me my photos were boring. Blah. Zzzzzzz. Even after 20+ years I can't seem to shoot interesting photos. Perhaps it is a talent and not something that one can actually learn. Either you have it or you don't.

I remember most of the things I was taught, but I have a hard time putting them into practice. It's a bit like my cooking; I occasionally get lucky but mostly it's something you want to steer clear of! :laugh:

injest

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 11:59:29 pm »
My professors always told us a photograph should be interesting and tell a story. Anything less than that deserves a toss in the trash barrel. My photo comp professor continuously told me my photos were boring. Blah. Zzzzzzz. Even after 20+ years I can't seem to shoot interesting photos. Perhaps it is a talent and not something that one can actually learn. Either you have it or you don't.

I remember most of the things I was taught, but I have a hard time putting them into practice. It's a bit like my cooking; I occasionally get lucky but mostly it's something you want to steer clear of! :laugh:

hmm...I don't think your pictures are boring!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 12:07:00 am »
hmm...I don't think your pictures are boring!

Well, I appreciate that. I can take a good picture. By that I mean I can get the lighting correct and the camera set correctly. Most of my pictures come out "photographically correct". So, those are my strong points -  all those technical things. I'm planning to post some poorly shot pictures here to help explain common mistakes and how to avoid them. I've already posted one or two of them.

But I've never been good at composing a picture. I've seen some incredible pictures posted here by some of our members. Both you and Marlene immediately come to mind. But we have many very talented photographers here at Bettermost. Hopefully a few of them will drop by and offer tips and advice. I know I would benefit from it. :)

injest

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 12:24:30 am »
Well, I appreciate that. I can take a good picture. By that I mean I can get the lighting correct and the camera set correctly. Most of my pictures come out "photographically correct". So, those are my strong points -  all those technical things. I'm planning to post some poorly shot pictures here to help explain common mistakes and how to avoid them. I've already posted one or two of them.

But I've never been good at composing a picture. I've seen some incredible pictures posted here by some of our members. Both you and Marlene immediately come to mind. But we have many very talented photographers here at Bettermost. Hopefully a few of them will drop by and offer tips and advice. I know I would benefit from it. :)

we could have an 'assignment' or something!! I will go out this weekend and try some of the different settings!! Then I will post them and you can tell me what I did or didn't do right!! (my camera remembers what the settings were for my pics!! isn't that cool?)

maybe some more people will too??

would that be ok with you?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 12:29:37 am »
Absolutely!!! That would be fun, wouldn't it?