Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 497101 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2008, 01:55:30 am »
oh! I see what you were going for though....is there a way to get an angle so the lights are a bit closer together in the frame??

You're right Jess. A different angle would have worked! See? This is why I'm glad you are here so you can teach me about composition. I'll try again tomorrow. It's too cold out there right now, and when I came back in I had freezing rain and ice in my hair!! And I was only out there for a quick minute. I'll try again tomorrow with my G9 camera. I took the A70 out tonight, and it's a 3.2 megapixel. The MP of the camera had nothing to do with the problem tonight. The camera wasn't set correctly.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #201 on: January 18, 2008, 07:33:54 am »
Question, David.

I was in a gym yesterday. I was sitting in a low light area focusing on people in a bright light area across the way. The picture was dark. Is there something to do besides move into the brighter light?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 18, 2008, 08:28:49 am »

This is a photo of the beautiful Nambucca River, where it empties into the Pacific Ocean, at the town of Nambucca Heads, about 7 hours drive north of Sydney. It's a pretty little seaside village. I was primarily interested in photographing the pelicans and was pleasantly surprised with the accidental setting of river and ocean, as framed by the two tree trunks (may be necessary to scroll over --->).

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #203 on: January 18, 2008, 08:38:15 am »
that picture is very cool, Kerry, there is so much in there....at first glance it is a pretty 'typical' tropical view....beautiful of course but then you look again and there is so much there...your eye is drawn from the light and surf at the top of the 'frame' of the trees into the darker area further down and the white of the birds against the darker (deep?) spots there.....

very nice picture!!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2008, 03:48:54 pm »
Love love love that pic Kerry!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2008, 05:24:25 pm »
That is a beautiful picture Kerry. Your camera did a very good job with the colors (lots of varying shades of blue in the pic) and I love the way you framed part of the picture between the two trees. :D

This picture looks like it should be on a postcard or in a travel magazine!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2008, 05:35:19 pm »
Question, David.

I was in a gym yesterday. I was sitting in a low light area focusing on people in a bright light area across the way. The picture was dark. Is there something to do besides move into the brighter light?

Shasta, if you had your flash turned on, there's your problem right there! Your camera's built-in flash only has an effective range of about 10 - 15 feet. If the subject is further away than that, the light from your flash isn't reaching anything, so there is nothing for the light to bounce off of. So, instead, you end up with a dark picture. If the gym was well lit, you should be able to easily photograph your subject without a flash. And even in darker situations, a flash is absolutely useless if the subject is located beyond your flash range. Did you ever notice all those flash bulbs going off at sporting events? Every one of those pictures will not turn out. Not unless they are using very powerful external flash, and/or they are 15 feet or closer to the subject.

If you are taking a picture in dark conditions and your subject is far away, you will still need to turn off your flash. It just won't do you any good at all. Instead, set a slower shutter speed and bump up your ISO a couple of notches. Bumping up the exposure compensation will help too. Then create a makeshift tripod by bracing the elbow of the arm holding the camera against your chest or stomach, take a breath, hold it and gently press down on the shutter button.

I hope that helps!

If your flash was turned off, you probably had your shutter speed set to fast. If you were using a scene mode, the camera probably auto programmed the flash to go off without you even knowing about it. Check your flash, and if the camera set it to fire, turn it off. :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2008, 10:46:01 pm »
Thank you, David! I copied the instructions and printed them to use the next time!  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2008, 01:04:58 am »
I'm glad I could help, Shasta! :)

I just looked at your camera's specifications (You have the Canon SD1000, correct?) and you can easily change many of your camera's settings by using the manual setting. In manual, the camera will allow you to change and adjust things like white balance, exposure compensation, light meters, flash settings and image resolution and compression. You also have Canon's "My Colors" in your camera, and these can greatly improve photo quality too.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2008, 03:41:35 am »
I just saw two coyotes in my yard. They were investigating my trash barrel I accidentally left outside.

Damn those suckers are fast. Just as quick as I could grab my camera and run downstairs they were fixing to leave. I took one picture but it didn't turn out at all. I didn't have enough time to set anything. And no time to place my camera on a tripod either.

They'll be back. They always come back. And the next time they come back I'll get them with my camera. Evidence. And when I do, I'll post it.

Those damn devils better stay out of that trash barrel! Maybe I should probably go out there and drag it back into the garage.