Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 496971 times)

injest

Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #310 on: March 05, 2008, 10:26:35 pm »
luv that coon!!!

great pics....makes me feel the cold!!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 06, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

Absolutely beautiful photographs, David. I love the melting icicles.  :D

Gad, it must have been tough being without a phone line for over a day, though.  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #312 on: March 06, 2008, 01:32:47 pm »
I love this one!

Yeah I love that one too! and love the littl car ones!  :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #313 on: March 06, 2008, 05:25:14 pm »
Thanks Kelda, Jess, Kerry and Susie!!  :D

In case some of you are wondering how I made those car pictures (and you may have already figured it out) it's very easy! And since this is the Shutter Bug Club, I'll divulge my secret for you! ;)

* First of all, print out one of your favorite landscape pictures, full size, on a standard sheet of printer paper. For these pictures I took, I used one of my "secret place" photos with a road in it.

* Next, position the picture so the bottom part is laying flat on a table or counter, and the top part is vertical, like this....

(Don't fold the paper, otherwise the crease might be visible in your picture)

I've already placed the toy on the paper to anchor it and keep it from sliding!

* Next, place your "subject" (the toy car, truck, statue, etc.) on the bottom part of the image. In this example, I placed the tiny motor home on the road part of the picture.

* Finally, adjust your camera's aperture to a mid or narrow setting to obtain some depth of field. I used f/5.6 in the example below so the background is partially blurred. In some of the original pictures I used f/8 to make the background clearer.

Then select your camera's macro lens (normally the button for the macro lens has a little flower icon next to it) and either zoom in on the subject, or move the camera closer to eliminate anything you don't want visible, such as the edge of the background or the table surface, and then shoot the picture.

It's pretty easy. I have a Hagrid figurine I gave to my Mom the year she died. She LOVED Hagrid! I am looking for a nice picture of Hogwarts, and once I find it, I will print it out and make a picture of the Hagrid figurine standing in front of the castle!! 8)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:48 pm »
Did you know that there are real horse shows that use Breyer horses?? You set up a diarama with your Breyer horse and try to make it look as realistic as possible. You can either do it in person or send in the picture to get it judged....they give out awards and everything!

now you are giving me hints maybe I will try my hand!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #315 on: March 06, 2008, 09:13:42 pm »
Did you know that there are real horse shows that use Breyer horses?? You set up a diarama with your Breyer horse and try to make it look as realistic as possible. You can either do it in person or send in the picture to get it judged....they give out awards and everything!

now you are giving me hints maybe I will try my hand!

I didn't know that Jess.

What are you talking about? ???

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #316 on: March 06, 2008, 11:27:16 pm »
I didn't know that Jess.

What are you talking about? ???

That isn't considered cheating is it Jess? I hope I'm not tempting you to CHEAT!!  ;)

I still don't really know what you are talking about sweetie! ???

Here's another little idea for taking pictures. If you don't wish to spend upwards of $100.00 or more on muslins (and who really wants to, right?) you can use inexpensive poster board for photographing smaller items, such as flower arrangements, figurines, etc. I bought 4 sheets of poster board at Wal-Mart for 57 cents each and they work perfectly well in most situations. And what is really nice about the Wal-Mart poster board is the sheets come in two colors! My blue sheet is dark blue on one side and light blue on the other! And my yellow sheet is red on the other side.

They are quite flimsy though, so you may need to use a piece of wood to help support them. But at 57 cents, I really can't complain too much! :)

Look over the poster boards carefully before you purchase them. My white poster board has a small crease near the left hand side that runs nearly the full length of the sheet and it shows up in most of my pictures.

For about a $1.50 more, you can purchase higher quality poster boards at craft stores such as Michael's. :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #317 on: March 06, 2008, 11:39:13 pm »
Great technique!

Thanks!

More such ones?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #318 on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:14 pm »
Great technique!

Thanks!

More such ones?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Hi Artiste!! Yes, I have more. I will post them as I think of them. I'm hoping others have useful and helpful ideas too! We could all learn from each other.

Do you own a camera Artiste? If so, is it digital or film and what brand and model of camera do you have? I really love Canon cameras. My first Canon was a film SLR I bought when I was a teenager. Now I own a couple of Canon digital cameras. I also have a Sony digital and it's quite good too. :D

injest

« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2008, 10:52:53 pm »
Day one of the Great Blizzard of 2008