Author Topic: How do you feel about OT posts?  (Read 30604 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: How do you feel about OT posts?
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2008, 01:24:36 pm »

I have been pmd by a mod over something i had said.  Then someone else said to me.  I then thought I
was making what was a goodnatured response.  That unleashed the gates of hell.  It was the biggest
storm over a silly thing i have ever dealt with...
     I tried to get the name of the person making the complaint.  Which i was not given.  Therefor unable
to talk directly or even indirectly to the person that made that complaint.  Personally I thought that the
mod definately pushed me as the attacker, when i wasnt even making any kind of an attack.
     I dont think that people should make some report like that and then remain anonomous..
     The same thing goes for the way all the troubles here are handled..  Behind closed doors, with no
access made to us ordinary peons..We are handed decrees.  More like it is from the gods on Mt Olympus.
I dont think that is a very fair way to handle these situations.  Its not just you Elle...its the system...
There should be some sort of arbitor. and a confrontation on unbiased territory.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:33:30 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »
We all need help!!!

To be understood is the most important!!

To be helped too is of importance!!

Mutual help is great and needed by all too!! WE all know that no one is an island!!

Keep on doing good work all moderators and all members!!

Hugs!!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »

I have been pmd by a mod over something i had said.  Then someone else said to me.  I then thought I
was making what was a goodnatured response.  That unleashed the gates of hell.  It was the biggest
storm over a silly thing i have ever dealt with...

Usually there are never any gates of hell to worry about around here.  The usual motivation moderators and admins have here in addressing complaints is to consider whether the person doing the complaining is being too sensitive, or whether the writer may have been too harsh in tone and crossed the line to the personal attack.  The usual procedure is to ask the author to tone it down a bit, or we contact the person complaining and suggest they are being too sensitive about an issue - sometimes we've done both.  We don't usually make this a punitive process, and accounts here are rarely in any peril. 

I tried to get the name of the person making the complaint.  Which i was not given.  Therefor unable
to talk directly or even indirectly to the person that made that complaint.  Personally I thought that the
mod definately pushed me as the attacker, when i wasnt even making any kind of an attack.
     I dont think that people should make some report like that and then remain anonomous..
     The same thing goes for the way all the troubles here are handled..  Behind closed doors, with no
access made to us ordinary peons..We are handed decrees.  More like it is from the gods on Mt Olympus.
I dont think that is a very fair way to handle these situations.  Its not just you Elle...its the system...
There should be some sort of arbitor. and a confrontation on unbiased terratory.

If the words in a post can be misconstrued as a personal attack by someone complaining, or a moderator, the best course of action has been to rewrite the post to make its intent clearer.  Nobody here sits around keeping lists of offenders or offenses.  The goal is the fastest possible resolution of the complaint, if it can be seen to have any merit. 

Prior experience with running debates between an alleged offender and the offended is not ineffective and usually doesn't resolve anything.  If one person could misinterpret it, often others do as well.  Only about 20 messages have been reported here since this community started.  About 1/3rd of them are unfounded overreactions, the rest have some validity, mostly because something could be read to be a personal attack.  Almost all are quickly resolved by changing a few words or deleting a sentence.  Anything that would prolong a debate or create a confrontation between residents over something that could be quietly and quickly addressed with a clarification of a potentially offending message would not be my first choice.

If you disagree with a moderator ruling, you can bring it up with Elle or myself in a PM.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2008, 06:39:40 pm »

Well my solution was simply to stay away from the forum that it was in and thus away from the
persons involved.

Beautiful mind

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2008, 08:00:35 pm »
Its not just you Elle...its the system...
There should be some sort of arbitor. and a confrontation on unbiased territory.

On this I am going to launch a new poll to see if there would be an interest in an independent Ombudsman for BetterMost.  This would be an -elected- position and would be able to independently examine and provide an unvarnished opinion (minus any personal attacks) of the administration of the community, as well as be a contact point for people who feel their needs or problems have not been addressed and allow the Ombudsman to consider the matter and report back to both residents and the "town council." 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2008, 08:03:34 pm »
Well said Phillip and others, and thanks!!

It remains that some persons, as members, got or felt offended, and now, do not talk (communicate) and stay in their corner (in their threads) to protect themselves or be careful ( maybe too much??)!! We all get hurt in life, at different times!!

Maybe this board, especially, this thread has and will help some to come back to more and varied communications?? I pray so.

More ways to help each other... can be found yet and thought about?? Hope so!! You all have helped me and be assured that I am very grateful and pleased, and seek your continued entraide (mutual help) !!

Hugs!!  Let freedom keep on ringingon Bettermost and thanks to all on it!!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2008, 09:00:32 pm »
We all need help!!!

To be understood is the most important!!

To be helped too is of importance!!

Mutual help is great and needed by all too!! WE all know that no one is an island!!

Keep on doing good work all moderators and all members!!

Hugs!!

Artiste you make me think of this poem:

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
Amen.

and alas, I am probably OT...

(I am not trying to advocate any religion or anything, I hope I haven't offended anyone by using the word "poem")
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:14:48 pm by BelAir »
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2008, 10:49:31 am »
Thanks BelAir!

I like that poem you added.

I do not like the sentence with dying in it... though. Death still puzzles me... as you maybe know.

Rather would like to live!! As you maybe noted in my threads and comments!!

So, I try to be an optimist. That is why I am on Bettermost... and like your efforts and those of others so we can get along and help each other, in wondrous ways.

Of course, my fears are there too. And I have expressed many which some members are puzzled about. Did you see that?

I still do not know what is OT posts... or did I figure it out a bit?

Always glad to see your news BelAir and that from others too,

Hugs!

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2008, 06:25:38 pm »
On this I am going to launch a new poll to see if there would be an interest in an independent Ombudsman for BetterMost.  This would be an -elected- position and would be able to independently examine and provide an unvarnished opinion (minus any personal attacks) of the administration of the community, as well as be a contact point for people who feel their needs or problems have not been addressed and allow the Ombudsman to consider the matter and report back to both residents and the "town council." 

Question? How would this affect us in our indiviual blogs? I look at my blog like my house. Except
for breaking of the obvious no attack rule and other legal no no's, I would not want the "homeowners
association" telling me how "decor" the inside of my house. This may be an invalid question since
there is no "on-topic" in a blog.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

injest

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2008, 07:13:02 pm »
Question? How would this affect us in our indiviual blogs? I look at my blog like my house. Except
for breaking of the obvious no attack rule and other legal no no's, I would not want the "homeowners
association" telling me how "decor" the inside of my house. This may be an invalid question since
there is no "on-topic" in a blog.

TampaTalon^">

I don't see this affecting your blog..blogs have always been the 'property' of the owners....so as long as you keep your trees trimmed and no limbs hang out over the other members blogs you should be fine!!