Author Topic: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John  (Read 113330 times)

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2008, 01:21:38 pm »
what YOU feel in your heart...not what someone else thinks or tells you.
:)   That rings true for me for sure.

On the other hand, many people take comfort in having an authority tell them the universe works like such-and-such. It may be very important to them, or they may just file it away. Either is fine as long as they don't hurt anybody with it.

Of course unfortunately they often do hurt people with it.

Maybe I hurt people too by forming my own opinions and understandings ... as a child I was sometimes "bossy" ... I have to work on that myself.     :-\   I try to express my thoughts and feelings as my own best guess, impression, or even what I wish were true whether it is or not. But everybody is free to do that for themselves - they don't have to agree or even listen to me of course.   :laugh:

Anyways.     :)  ;) :-*
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2008, 02:13:38 pm »
Now on the mystery. Warning: spoilers ahead!!

We learn only at the end of the gospel of John that the book itself was written by the man whom Jesus loved. The gospel tells us that they had a publicly accepted physical relationship. At dinner they laid down together with the man's head on Jesus's chest.

Sexual? I don't know. My current guess is that somewhere along the line they had been physically sexually intimate.

After Jesus was crucified his mother lived with this man for at least an extended period.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2008, 02:25:33 pm »
I would like to understand better who this man was and what was the nature of their relationship.    :D

I bring up the question at this point because it has been suggested by scholars and others that this man is Lazarus:

http://www.thedisciplewhomjesusloved.com/

http://www.hccentral.com/eller8/index.html

Other names have been suggested as well, including Phillip, the Apostle John, someone else whose name happened to be John, or a completely unidentified man, etc.

http://www.answers.com/topic/disciple-whom-jesus-loved

We meet Lazarus in the first verse of chapter 11.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2008, 02:37:35 pm »
gotta take a break for now. See y'all soon ...    :-*

Don

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2008, 04:40:09 pm »
John 1 goes on to say Jesus recruits his first apostles at and soon after John's baptism ceremony.

One of them, Nathaniel, is impressed that Jesus had seen him under a fig tree. I don't see yet what this is about, but it seemed to be a big deal to Nathaniel. Any thoughts?

I think it was a curising spot in those days.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2008, 05:11:06 pm »
ok...this is off topic...so I am sorry..

but I saw a program about the miracles surrounding the time of Moses...

and they were correlating the events to real historical events...like the parting of the Red Sea for example...right around that time was when a volcano erupted out in the ocean and destroyed an island...causing a massive tidal wave. The people on the show were saying maybe that is what cause the water to pull back to let the Isrealites to pass

now the point I am trying to make is this....That doesnt' make it any less of a miracle...Just because we can see HOW it was done. Who make the volcano explode at THAT particular time?

just because there is a natural reason doesn't mean there is no miracle....(and yes I know that sounds stupid...I will shut up)

Yes I saw that too, Santorini, in Greece, exploded and cause a tsunami, the water in the Red Sea receeded and they could cross, hurry!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »
So they answered "We're gonna stone you not because of what you did but because of what you said. You are a man, but you make yourself God."

I have heard modern day preechers say that I am putting myself ahead of Gods word by saying I was born gay, and there is nothing wrong with it. I am a human offering my testamony and they want to wop me with a book.....

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2008, 05:29:44 pm »
Second, LDS doctrine says that we are all intended in the afterlife to be literal gods, each with our own universe, just like the man we know as Yahweh is the god of this universe and Jesus and Lucifer are his sons. There are many other universes, each with their own god and his wives and children.

Forget it! I don;t even want to hold public office! What the hell would I do with my own universe? If my house is any indication it would be a bloody mess for sure...... :laugh:

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2008, 05:32:59 pm »

On the other hand, many people take comfort in having an authority tell them the universe works like such-and-such. It may be very important to them, or they may just file it away. Either is fine as long as they don't hurt anybody with it.

They also need a higher power as a catch all for what goes wrong. Like when a family member flies their plane into the ground and the FAA will be 6 months coming up with a reason. The old women at the funeral speak to each other: It was Gods will, meaning some power some place was behind it for a reason we can never hope to know.

injest

« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2008, 07:09:22 pm »
Forget it! I don;t even want to hold public office! What the hell would I do with my own universe? If my house is any indication it would be a bloody mess for sure...... :laugh:

plus what the heck would you do with all those WIVES!!