Author Topic: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John  (Read 114163 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2008, 07:14:08 pm »
plus what the heck would you do with all those WIVES!!

Exactly! You know I think we could start a counter intelligence offensive against the Taliban by pointing out that 72 virgins won't last forever.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2008, 10:28:58 pm »
 :laugh:  Y'all so funny!    :laugh:  OK so chapter 11 opens with Lazarus's sisters Mary and Martha in Bethany (about 2 miles from Jerusalem) sending a messenger to Jesus (presumably still on the east side of the Jordan). The message is:

"The man you love is sick."
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2008, 10:45:25 pm »
"He whom thou lovest is ailing."

Now what would we understand this to mean if this had been a woman, and the message had been "The woman you love is ailing" ?

The woman you love. She whom thou lovest. I think this would have been understood through the ages to mean his girlfriend.

Well forget that Da Vinci code silliness. This is what the Bible actually says. It was a man.

And this seems to be happening in the last week or so before Jesus is crucified. So when the narration continues talking about the man that Jesus loved, it seems likely it would be the same man.

If that is the case, then the beloved disciple is Lazarus.

Remember there were 12 Apostles, but many disciples. Mary and Martha were disciples. There's no doubt that Lazarus was a disciple; he may have been the beloved disciple.

And the gospel of John itself is the testimony of the beloved disciple (whoever the beloved disciple was).

For me so far, this hypothesis seems to hold together pretty well. Most of what we have read in this gospel has been about Jesus's activities near Jerusalem. Lazarus would have known about these things first-hand if Jesus was staying with him at Bethany each time he came to Jerusalem for the feasts that we've been reading about.

But what about that wedding at Cana where he turned water into wine? Think about who told that story - we are hearing it in the voice of Jesus's mother. Jesus's mother lived with the beloved disciple after Jesus was crucified, so this is her own contribution.
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2008, 10:49:48 pm »
DR. WDJ!

Please answer your page!

DR. WDJ!
:D :D   Hey buddy!!!      ;D ;D    So glad to see you again!!!     :) :)

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2008, 10:53:33 pm »
  :)   Well it is fitting that we are talking about the return of someone who had been gone for a while!!     ;)

Don

injest

« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2008, 11:10:09 pm »
HI Dana!!

:-* :-*

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2008, 11:30:25 pm »
To quote moi:
Did you see that on TV? That special show presented also Pharisees buildings, one or two cities; Babal too... was she  Pharisees? She went somwhere to see a great and gave him what... like superb gifts, since she was afraid and so wanted to save herself and her queendom??

Did you come to a part where Queen Babal is mentioned? Or is that only in the Jewish scripts or another document (religious or non-religious)?

She did exist!!

May I ask from you and from all... too, if you like,

hugs!

Offline Wayne

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2008, 11:32:36 am »
It's a miracle!!  Dana is back!   ;D

Don

injest

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2008, 07:41:04 pm »
It's a miracle!!  Dana is back!   ;D

and right when we were talking about the man that Jesus loved!!  :o :o :o

coincidence??

or not??

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2008, 07:48:27 pm »
Hey Dana, good to see you in these parts again. Hope all is going well with you.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."