Author Topic: Anyone unable to watch BBM stars in other films?  (Read 30105 times)

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
Anyone unable to watch BBM stars in other films?
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:45:54 am »
I don't know what it is but I can't handle watching Heath, Jake, Michelle or Anne in ANYTHING other than Brokeback Mountain!  I bought the DVD “The Day After Tomorrow” as a demo for my new Surround Sound system, but had to give it away because Jake played Dennis Quaid’s son.   And I Really like Dennis Quaid!  I felt like something was wrong- like I was in a parallel universe or something.  The same thing has happened with Digital Cable (Showtime) and films showing Heath in medieval garb dancing a minuet and another with him as a heroin addict! Or seeing Michelle in some other film that I had to turn off immediately because all I could think of was her crying by the Apartment window when she sees Ennis and Jack take off for the mountains after the 4 year reunion.

I can only hope for the best for their careers in film but for me it will only be Brokeback Mountain that I will be able to watch them in.   It’s like they belong there.  That film has become so real to me!

I am wondering if this is just me or is anyone else experiencing the same phenomena?

Confused and Curious   ???   and more than a little bit crazy..

br. p
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Anyone unable to watch BBM stars in other films?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:51:17 am »
I'm pretty much the same way Bud.  I just chalk it up to an unusual symptom of Brokie fever.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 03:13:48 am »
I had this problem for the first year or so after the film - I didn't watch much at all besides BBM - but I seem to be past it now.  I enjoyed watching Heath in CANDY and Jake in ZODIAC.  Once in awhile, I can 'glimpse' Ennis in Heath's performance or likewise Jack in Jake's, but it gives me feelings of love and fondness instead of feeling betrayed somehow...Just my own two cents...

-Lynne
 8)

Edited to add - I definitely don't think this is crazy, though.  I think we're all on different schedules with our healing after BBM.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 06:28:29 am »
I agree with everything Lynne said, Patrick. It was and is just the same for me.

Once in awhile, I can 'glimpse' Ennis in Heath's performance or likewise Jack in Jake's, but it gives me feelings of love and fondness instead of feeling betrayed somehow...Just my own two cents...

He he. Last week I watched A Knight's Tale, and suddenly, there was a facial expression of Heath and I was like "OMG, there's Ennis!"  :laugh:
I also enjoy these brief glimpses.

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 06:30:02 am »
I enjoyed watching Heath in CANDY and Jake in ZODIAC.  Once in awhile, I can 'glimpse' Ennis in Heath's performance or likewise Jack in Jake's, but it gives me feelings of love and fondness instead of feeling betrayed somehow...Just my own two cents...

-Lynne
 8)

Edited to add - I definitely don't think this is crazy, though.  I think we're all on different schedules with our healing after BBM.

Both Zodiac & Candy are now playing on Showtime.. but I can't look, I just can't... Jack & Ennis live in my mind, and their wives too.  I don't think I want to get past this.  I want them to stay with me all ways..    :-\

I love "The Wizard of Oz" and think Judy's Dorothy is incomparable.   But I love her other films and tv show too.   Very wierd feeling  ???

br. p

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 06:34:55 am »
He he. Last week I watched A Knight's Tale, and suddenly, there was a facial expression of Heath and I was like "OMG, there's Ennis!"  :laugh:
I also enjoy these brief glimpses.

I'm really, really glad for the both of you, and that's the absolute truth!  But it is that very same "glimpse" that blows my mind.   Kind of like going to Chicago and seeing the Empire State Building instead of Sear's Tower..  :-\

{{{Cyberhugs}}}

br. p

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 07:56:20 am »
I saw "I'm Not There" yesterday at the theater. Heath has one scene in a coffee shop and he looks, acts, and sounds exactly like Ennis. The mouth, the eyes, everything. It was amazing and it lasted for quite a few minutes. I think it was my favorite scene in the movie!

Michelle Williams was also in IMT in a brief role.

Since BBM I've seen Candy and Casanova (Heath), Zodiac (Jake), and The Devil Wears Prada (Anne). None of them bothered me. Maybe you couldn't watch The Day After Tomorrow, Br. P., because it was a really really bad movie! I suffered through it on a plane and just kept shaking my head at its awfulness.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 08:06:09 am »
I'm really, really glad for the both of you, and that's the absolute truth!  But it is that very same "glimpse" that blows my mind.   Kind of like going to Chicago and seeing the Empire State Building instead of Sear's Tower..  :-\

{{{Cyberhugs}}}

br. p

I think that's a very good and understandable way to describe it.
But I don't know if it's a bad thing for you or not:

I don't think I want to get past this.

See what I mean?

Brokie hugs right back at ya:
(Br Patrick)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:14:21 am »
I'm undecided about this. On the one hand, it's weird having an 'Ennis or Jack moment' in a different movie, as if something's not right. On the other hand, I guess it can't be avoided.

I saw Proof the other week on dvd and at a certain point Jake was looking at Gwyneth Paltrow, who played the woman he was in love with, and I swear it was the same look he gave Jimbo the rodeo clown in the bar. I found it a bit unsettling. But then again, I suppose you can't 'do' that look in a million different ways.

And I agree with Leslie about Heat in I'm Not There. But there was an even bigger Ennismoment in that movie. I was watching it with my husband and Heath was clearing his throat in a certain scene and my husband said: 'That was Ennis!'. I found that funny. It didn't bother me.

But I'm not sure how I'd feel if any of them were to do a cowboy movie any time soon.  :-\

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 08:54:59 am »
I know how feel about not being able to wacth them in other roles. Well kinda.

I seen "Casanova" and it was a awful film. But Heaths in it. I just kept getting images of Ennis and stuff in my mind. So i couldn't concentrate on the film.
Then recently i saw "Rendition" And Jake was really able to draw me in which is fantastic. He is pretty good actor. Jake can convice me of anyone. For me Heath is Ennis and allways be Ennis. He was born to play that role.
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.