Author Topic: TOTW 01/08: Do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident?  (Read 86315 times)

moremojo

Re: TOTW 01/08: Do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident?
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2008, 07:06:05 pm »
I just wanted to say that these perception by many Brokies is probably assured by Ang Lee's comments. He repeatedly said in interviews Lureen is clearly lying on the phone with Ennis.
With all due respect to Lee, I don't think his repeated assertions necessarily confirm the accuracy of his point of view, or narrow the field of interpretation for others who might think differently. Lee as director was interpreting a screenplay written by two others who in turn were adapting a significantly and intentionally ambiguous story by yet another. Hathaway's performance likewise was that actress's attempt to translate Lee's direction through her own understanding of the character and her range and skill as a thespian.

Even if Lureen's story were false, she may not have been deliberately lying, but rather may have been repeating what she truly believed at that time to have been the case. If so, it's possible that, following Ennis's revelations, she may have begun to have her own doubts about Jack's death.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2008, 07:14:58 pm »
With all due respect to Lee, I don't think his repeated assertions necessarily confirm the accuracy of his point of view, or narrow the field of interpretation for others who might think differently. Lee as director was interpreting a screenplay written by two others who in turn were adapting a significantly and intentionally ambiguous story by yet another.

I agree with you.
I didn't mean to refer to Ang Lee as the one who knows, the one who has the answers. In fact, earlier in this thread I've already stated my opinion and it's quite contradictory to what Lee says.
It was only an explatation to Garry, why the believe that Lureen is lying might be widespread among Brokies.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2008, 11:35:11 pm »
It just occured to me that Jack went to the mexican, because in Jack's area (and previous areas) he could not pick up another gay or bi guy because murderers awaited him!! Murderers had an eye on him to bash him!!

See that in the movie more than once!

Hugs!!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2008, 08:09:57 am »
If Laureen was lying, does it necessarily mean she was covering up his murder......

She may have been covering up his suicide.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:17 pm »
Quote from: moremojo
Even if Lureen's story were false, she may not have been deliberately lying, but rather may have been repeating what she truly believed at that time to have been the case. If so, it's possible that, following Ennis's revelations, she may have begun to have her own doubts about Jack's death.

That's a really interesting thought, Moremojo.

And Katie, the suicide thought is an interesting one as well.

People refer a lot to Jack's expression as he watches Ennis drive off after their last fight, saying, "he's had it".  Again, I think his broken dreams and disappointments were such that a part of him stopped caring, and he got careless -- possibly exposing his homosexuality in the 'wrong place, wrong time'.  Kind of suicide-by-proxy.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2008, 08:45:46 pm »
Wow!

Suicide?

More please. Any details or proofs???

Hugs!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2008, 10:04:10 pm »

I've patiently read the several posts in this thread that sing the praises of the modern-day, homo-hugging police force. I've deliberately held my tongue until now (a) because I think this side issue is OT and doesn't have much to do with the subject of this thread, "Do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident?" and (b) I am personally of the belief that it is impossible for a leopard to change its spots.

I can only speak for the New South Wales Police Force in Sydney and not for any other constabulary in other countries.

I have personally been on the receiving end of police brutality and abuse here in Sydney. Long story. Don't ask.

In my experience, if they are not overtly brutalising gays, the police are deliberately ignoring the gay-bashings and falsely categorising them under the generic heading of "alcohol fuelled violence."

Sydney's gay ghetto is routinely raided by thugs from the outer suburbs. They drive along Oxford Street, shouting abuse at the gay men and women on the street and if you dare look in their direction, they jump from their cars and kick the living shit out of you. I have personally seen this happen. These bashers come into the city deliberately and intentionally to do this.

Click on this hyperlink for an article which appeared in this morning's Sunday Telegraph. Before you do so, however, I should warn you that it contains graphic imagery that some may find disturbing:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23043307-5006009,00.html

My apologies for contributing to the already established sub-thread within this thread. For justice sake, I felt compelled to respond.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

pnwDUDE

« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2008, 05:53:39 am »
I've patiently read the several posts in this thread that sing the praises of the modern-day, homo-hugging police force. I've deliberately held my tongue until now (a) because I think this side issue is OT and doesn't have much to do with the subject of this thread, "Do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident?" and (b) I am personally of the belief that it is impossible for a leopard to change its spots.

I can only speak for the New South Wales Police Force in Sydney and not for any other constabulary in other countries.

I have personally been on the receiving end of police brutality and abuse here in Sydney. Long story. Don't ask.

In my experience, if they are not overtly brutalising gays, the police are deliberately ignoring the gay-bashings and falsely categorising them under the generic heading of "alcohol fuelled violence."

If I thought this, I wouldn't work in the field. I'm a HOMO and a COP and there is a lot of us here. I guess WE don't know what we're talking about. I'm glad you have such insight. I appreciate you not holding your tongue.

If you've been assaulted by the police cause' you are gay (which I doubt), there are avenues to pursue. Hell, in this day and age, even in Australia, you can get a bunch of money if you can prove your claim. BTW, don't wanna hear your long story so don't bother to tell it.

Brad

pnwDUDE

« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2008, 06:18:13 am »
Recently a U.S. congressman was busted in a men's room for soliciting sex.  The congressman is a conservative Republican, and he has a history of voting against gay rights, so there isn't much sympathy out there for him.  But I strongly question the practice of sending undercover officers into men's rooms for the purpose of nailing the fags who show an interest in them.  I'm only human, and if an attractive man gives me some indication that he might be open to playing around, I might take him up on it, and I am painfully shy.  Imagine the reception attractive female officers would get from heterosexual men if they made advances in admittedly inappropriate settings.  But are heterosexual men ever targeted in these stings?  No. 

A public mens room isn't for sex. In this case, many complaints were recieved by airport security and that is why the cops were there. Do you really think the undercover cop liked his assignment?
Hetro men aren't targeted in these stings cause they don't cruise bathrooms for sex. They are targeted for soliciiting prostitution on the streets, however.
Jack could have gotten killed for soliciting sex in a Childress truck stop (by a trucker or a cop if you listen to Kerry) but I doubt it.

Brad

pnwDUDE

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2008, 07:09:52 am »
My point about the men's room is that a gay guy can go into a men's room with the intention of urinating and get hit on by a police officer,  the fact remains gay men are targeted, and not all of them are necessarily inclined to commit that type of crime until they are enticed by law enforcement.
Gary

Enticed by law enforcement officers? Craig was peeking through the cracks of stalls--repeatedley. He wasn't standing at a urinal taking a piss and minding his own business. If some guy repeatedly peeked through the cracks of a stall at Costco while I was taking a dump, I'd tell the guy to get the fuck away. Course some would percieve this as me being homophobic, and I'd tell them to grow up.

Brad