Author Topic: Um...Calculus?  (Read 7570 times)

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
Re: Um...Calculus?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 12:30:31 am »
Maths geek Interesting!   :P  :laugh:

Shakesperes good. You just got to take the time to realise what his saying. Shakespere is all about love. And Brokeback is about love in a way. So when you reading Shakespeare. Replace the characters with Ennis and Jack. That way when your thinking about Brokeback. It becomes proactive. This helped me a lot.

I did a essay senior year on Brokeback mountain. It was about all the metaphors i the movie. I spent ages working on it and it came out really good in my option. When i handed it in i got a F. My subject material wasn't appropriate. The theacther never embarrassed me or told anyone. But his clear homophobic disapproval was so much worse. I got a second option from someone else. I got a A - Well it deserved that.  :P

Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

injest

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:34:20 am »

Shakesperes good. You just got to take the time to realise what his saying. Shakespere is all about love. And Brokeback is about love in a way. So when you reading Shakespeare. Replace the characters with Ennis and Jack. That way when your thinking about Brokeback. It becomes proactive. This helped me a lot.

I did a essay senior year on Brokeback mountain. It was about all the metaphors i the movie. I spent ages working on it and it came out really good in my option. When i handed it in i got a F. My subject material wasn't appropriate. The theacther never embarrassed me or told anyone. But his clear homophobic disapproval was so much worse. I got a second option from someone else. I got a A - Well it deserved that.  :P

well that stinks!!

>:(

Offline twocowboywaltz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 12:50:07 am »

Hm..I might just do that! Romeo and Juliet...meet Ennis and Jack. They're a couple of ranchers, and all. Soooo...yeah, you're fired. They're hired. Take a walk.  :laugh: :laugh:

On another note, ugh, I can't believe that the teacher would give you an F on something you worked so hard for, unless you were WAY off topic, like analyzing BBM metaphors when asked to analyze uh...Wuthering Heights (Heathcliff and Catherine...meet Ennis and Jack...hehe  :laugh: :laugh:). I did start writing literary analysis essay myself on Brokeback last year (the assignment was to write an essay on any movie--how could I NOT choose our boys?), but never finished it because the teacher changed her mind and dropped the assignment.

Some people are really impossible!  >:(

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 12:58:55 am »
Nah, It was a analysis on the specific metaphors in movies. He made lots of suggestions. But Brokeback wasn't there and i believe Brokeback is the best for metaphors. He said something like Annie prolux writing on Shipping news is appropriate. But a story about to gay cowboys whole unconvincingly falls in loves is not.  :o BULLSHIT

I turn every straight love affair into a gay one. It helps with accepting the idea that the world is normal in my standards.

Some people have small minded country views on the world. The type that comes after you with a tire iron  :laugh:

Non of them here  :-\ I hope.
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

injest

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 01:00:32 am »
Nah, It was a analysis on the specific metaphors in movies. He made lots of suggestions. But Brokeback wasn't there and i believe Brokeback is the best for metaphors. He said something like Annie prolux writing on Shipping news is appropriate. But a story about to gay cowboys whole unconvincingly falls in loves is not.  :o BULLSHIT

I turn every straight love affair into a gay one. It helps with accepting the idea that the world is normal in my standards.

Some people have small minded country views on the world. The type that comes after you with a tire iron  :laugh:

Non of them here  :-\ I hope.

I dont' think you will find any of those kind here... ;)

Offline twocowboywaltz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 01:16:36 am »
I dont' think you will find any of those kind here... ;)
...cause they get chased out with tire irons when they're found!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I agree that Brokeback is chock full of metaphors, and for a teacher to say that it isn't...well, he must not know what he's talking about.  :-\

Quote from: melb_boy88
Admittedly, I find myself doing this a lot too. Reading about a Jane? Bam. She's a Jack. That sort of thing.

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 01:25:46 am »
...cause they get chased out with tire irons when they're found!

Yeah, we have our own band of brothers. It's a pity we all don't have our own Brokeback Mountain we can live and all the tire iron type get chased away. By the type that gets chased. Do you have you own Tire iron folks where you are?. I do  ::)

It makes my universe turn. All of us are born gay. The straight are weird. And they get chased by tire irons. I cant seing our type doing that though. But im sure you understand the dream i have.

:-X :P 8)

Offline twocowboywaltz

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 01:35:18 am »
Ewwwww. Straight people ARE weird! Haha. :laugh: :laugh: (j/k to all the straights reading!) The tire iron people hide in the ground, waiting for unsuspecting victims to pass by before they leap up to strike! They're blind like moles but stubborn in their ways like weeds.  :P

Unfortunately, I do have the tire iron type here. Yeah, my dad is the tire iron type, and it's like treading on eggshells around him because whenever he opens his mouth to talk to me, I flinch and go "oh god, he knows" and prepare myself for the worst. I really, really hope they're not everywhere, cause if they're not, that's the place I'd like to live.  :-\

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 01:42:51 am »
Unfortunately, I do have the tire iron type here. Yeah, my dad is the tire iron type, and it's like treading on eggshells around him because whenever he opens his mouth to talk to me, I flinch and go "oh god, he knows" and prepare myself for the worst. I really, really hope they're not everywhere, cause if they're not, that's the place I'd like to live.

Dad's are the worse. When my real dad heard a rumor about me. He gave me this book. It was "How to control and elliminate unwanted or unexcepted desires"  :-\

I dont know where he got it. But it all about how to not be homosexual. I burned t in the end. Theres no way i'm passing that on.  :laugh:

I belive there is a place. It's called Brokeback Mountain. And we are all searching for it. One day we both will find it and i hope its the same one.  ;D

Online Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 02:52:58 am »
I belive there is a place. It's called Brokeback Mountain. And we are all searching for it. One day we both will find it and i hope its the same one.  ;D

That's a beautiful and profound statement, Melb_boy.  I've been following your story and apologize for not posting before now.  I'm an 39-year old bisexual woman - for me my Brokeback Mountain was a place I found around the age of 19 but lost touch with so here I am 20 years later trying to reacquaint myself with who I really am.

Second thing - my minor in college was Southern American literature - Clearly, I'm no renown authority, but there are a lot of similarities in the Southern American lit tradition (like Faulkner, O'Connor) and American Western writers like Proulx.  Any teacher who thinks that Brokeback Mountain is not worthy of analysis vis a vis metaphor is missing some critical brain cells.  And as you say is likely prejudiced because of the homosexual nature of the story.  But jeez, hasn't this teacher ever read any Oscar Wilde??!  Viriginia Woolfe??!  I'd love to read your paper if you feel up to sharing it.  I sketched out an essay about the Christian symbolism in the movie in the early days - it needs polishing but I'd be happy to share.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."