Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 52205 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2006, 05:51:36 pm »
Tell ya what guys?

I planned to see it this weekend (despite bad reviews I am intreigued) but I'm ill  :( so no cinema going for me.. when I'm better and see the film, I will make a point of returning and giving my honest opinion.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

rtprod

« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2006, 05:56:38 pm »
Ok I'm just gonna say it...

Just because you and rt resent seeing the film doesn't mean that others will!  People really oughta give it a chance...and by 'talking them out of it til you're blue in the face' you are just giving them a bad taste so if and when they go and see it - they WON'T like it...IMO until you see the film you cannot judge!  Everyone should develop their own opinion instead of being sheep....once they do that if they still don't like it then thats great!  Good for them...but I have little respect for people that judge before actually seeing!  Its no different then Bill O'Reilly and all those people that judged BBM without even seeing it!

Ok there's my 25 cents and I mean no disrespect to anyone....JMO!

Chris, it's okay to have an opinion here without softening it by doing the IMO thing -- we all are adult enough to correspond without wearing kid gloves. 

But the question is, why are you so bent on defending this film?  And if you are, then just go ahead and support why it's good.  I am a film critic and people here contantly ask for my opinion on movies, which I treasure being able to offer to people even though again, it's just my take and why I start these threads.  People aren't sheep when the listen to critics --- they are informed.  And I have a passion in me for films, actors and the like, so it's important to me and not just "entertainment" and "box office."

And all this trying to defend a piece of sub-par moviemaking by relying on box office totals just doesn't wash with me....  sorry.

Bill O' Reilly?  You're really making a reach there, bud.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:16:08 pm by rtprod »

rtprod

« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2006, 06:13:27 pm »
I'm feeling feisty at the moment so I'mjumping in, when if I had any common sense I'd keep eating my lunch but

RT, why you trying so hard to talk people outta seein' this movie? You got a bet going somewhere?
Just curious...oh, and stirrin' the pot  ;)

O0

Because it is crap.  And because you can do better with your time and money.  And because I don't understand how the thrust of this entire conversation, after I have spent time deconstructing the film (in a minor way, agreeably), an argument about box office receipts has merit.  And mostly, because I want you to have an enjoyable time. 

Does that sound right?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:50:20 pm by rtprod »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2006, 06:16:05 pm »
Ok well I say that we call a truce here because we obviously aren't seeing eye to eye....and there is nothing wrong with that!  :)

But I for one am kinda tired of debating a seemingly dumb and pointless topic....LOL

So what do ya say?  I mean if we're gonna debate lets do so on a topic that actually means something....LOL  We cool? 

This is too EVERYONE!  ;D

rtprod

« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2006, 06:17:23 pm »
Ok well I say that we call a truce here because we obviously aren't seeing eye to eye....and there is nothing wrong with that!  :)

But I for one am kinda tired of debating a seemingly dumb and pointless topic....LOL

So what do ya say?  I mean if we're gonna debate lets do so on a topic that actually means something....LOL  We cool? 

This is too EVERYONE!  ;D

Well I think this is a healthy topic instead of everyone sitting around agreeing what a masterpiece Brokeback Mountain is. 

What consitutes art vs. crap and its role in the economics of this biz is a topic worth kicking around, I would say.

Debate teams can lead to discoveries.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2006, 06:20:21 pm »
Well I think this is a healthy topic instead of everyone sitting around agreeing what a masterpiece Brokeback Mountain is. 

Debate teams can lead to discoveries.

Ok well I'm gonna bow out of the debate...because it's really not worth it to me....especially since very few people are seeing eye to eye and its only going to create rifts between friends and friends friends and so on and so forth....

So just know that everyone is cool with me.... ;D

You ever wanna debate immigration or politics....I'm your man!  LOL

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2006, 06:38:47 pm »
It feels like there's a lot of underlying stuff going on here in trading what are basically opinions.  What's really being 'debated'?  Whether the movie should be considered good because it's making a lot of money?  Who's opinion carries more weight?  Debates are a lot more informative when there's some acknowledgement that another perspective has some merit. 

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

rtprod

« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2006, 06:44:22 pm »
It feels like there's a lot of underlying stuff going on here in trading what are basically opinions.  What's really being 'debated'?  Whether the movie should be considered good because it's making a lot of money?  Who's opinion carries more weight?  Debates are a lot more informative when there's some acknowledgement that another perspective has some merit. 

Juan

Actually I'm going to bow out of this one too.  Nothing underlying in my position, Juan.  I originally started this thread to discuss the quality of the film and other issues seeped in as if to invalidate the role of a critic, so I sought to discuss.   In my mind I was discussing, at length, the divide between money and art, and its effect on careers and disconnect from quality, as well as other things like objectivity, etc.  But I can't argue with "it's making money" because I was initially talking about something else.  So, on to the next...

rt

vkm91941

« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2006, 08:54:43 pm »
Well I certainly enjoyed using this mediocre film (my word based on both rt and Chris's reviews) as a catalyst to look at the greed in Babylon and the need for tripe with a built in audience to succeed as a means of supporting the system and providing the revenue to make art.

I do want to say before we let this topic die in to to that it is a tribute to the high esteem that both rt and Chris are held in within this community and by their friends that folks began to get a little testy and defensive..However when that begins it is time to call a halt since fictionalization was never the intention of either.

Good discussion guys

rtprod

« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2006, 11:52:57 am »
Well I certainly enjoyed using this mediocre film (my word based on both rt and Chris's reviews) as a catalyst to look at the greed in Babylon and the need for tripe with a built in audience to succeed as a means of supporting the system and providing the revenue to make art.

I do want to say before we let this topic die in to to that it is a tribute to the high esteem that both rt and Chris are held in within this community and by their friends that folks began to get a little testy and defensive..However when that begins it is time to call a halt since fictionalization was never the intention of either.

Good discussion guys

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your words here and bringing this one back around to the logical center.  What a fascinating and frustrating issue this is regarding movies and money today, huh?  At any rate, thanks to all who chimed in here -- had no idea this would be such a hot button! 

rt   ;D