Author Topic: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....  (Read 17216 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:34 pm »
For me, December 27 marked my two year anniversary of seeing Brokeback Mountain. I saw it by myself at a theater in Boston. In retrospect, I am glad it worked out that way. What about others? What was your experience the first time you saw Brokeback? Vote in the poll and share your thoughts!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The First Time I Saw Brokeback Mountain....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 10:53:22 pm »
I saw Brokeback with my friend Jane, in German, on March 11, 2006 - (I put it up wrong in the poll!)  two days after it opened in Germany at #1.  It spent two weeks at #1 and then dropped to #2 and was in the top 10 for weeks afterward.

Notable quote:  'Well, the sex wasn't much,' Jane said - used to the frank and uninhibited morals of European films and televisoin.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:28 pm »
Mar 1, 2006.  Middle of the day, by myself.  A theater I hadn't been to before.  No clue what I was in for...

:P
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:05:22 pm »
A cold, rainy friday, December 16, 2005, by myself at Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, Massachusetts. 

I was getting out of work early, checked the listings, oh, there's that Brokeback Mountain thing opening today. 

Good thing I always carry a handkerchief.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:14:15 pm »
Sunday afternoon, December 18, 2005, the 4:00 show, at the Ritz East theater on Second Street here in Philadelphia. I have the ticket stub to prove it.  ;)

I was with a friend.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:47:23 am »
Plano January 2006, with my husband

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:50:52 am »
Tuesday, March, 21st, 2006. Saw it with Kerstin in a theatre. We both had no idea, but she even less ... she only knew it was about two cowboys who were brothers ... guess she was more than a bit WRONG  ;D

Jeff, I also have the ticket stub. It's in a frame together with pics of Ennis and Jack and my very first Brokie meeting.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:58:08 am »
Notable quote:  'Well, the sex wasn't much,' Jane said - used to the frank and uninhibited morals of European films and televisoin.

:laugh: My husband said the same thing after he saw it.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 08:21:07 am »

I saw it the first time on Jan. 5th.  2006 and I was with my lovely Kelsey.  I was able to hold
my opinion until back in the car. We discussed it for two days.  At which point I went back by
myself and watched it again..  Two days later I got my husband to go with me and saw it
yet again..  I went a week later trying to keep  the theatre from sending  it on.  I wanted it
to stay long enough for others to see it too.  I went back once more and saw it before it
closed. 

I think I must have seen it around 120 times all together.

Beautiful mind

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:24:40 am »
I saw it in the cinema on Wednesday February 22nd. The night it opened here in Belgium. My husband was with me. And he was with me the last time I saw it too. Bless him.  :)

That's what the film reviewer in my newspaper said too.  ::)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'