Author Topic: Aguirre's office  (Read 8067 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Aguirre's office
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 10:55:56 pm »
I didn't find a pic where the Jackalope can be seen on which Aguirre puts his hat the first summer. Has anyone a pic from it?

Here's the jackalope -- courtesy of Toast (who found it for Paul, who posted it in the ABCs game).

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 11:16:31 pm »

Joe's apparently serious about shooting trespassers.  There's a rifle near the case for his binoculars.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:59:21 am »

This thread really is eye-opening.   :o :D

I'm so glad this topic has been revived!  I've seriously never noticed the sign behind Ennis's head (that's awesome!!)  and I've never noticed the rifle either.

Somehow the phrase "I've never..." echoes the phrase "I swear..." from the end too.  It's one of those half-finished sentences that could mean any number of things.

The more we look at this office the more interesting it is!  Aside fromt the crucial difference between how the binoculars look in the beginning meeting (inside their case) vs. how they look when Jack comes back alone the next year (outside their case)... I wonder how much the office has changed or if there are any other significant differences that could be noted?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 12:35:07 am »
Aguirre's office is fascinating!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 04:39:12 pm »
Can anyone make out what Aguirre is wearing on his right hand? Is it a ring of some sort? You can see it most clearly in the photograph where he has both his hands on his desk. To my eyes it looks blue.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 06:23:40 am »
Can anyone make out what Aguirre is wearing on his right hand? Is it a ring of some sort? You can see it most clearly in the photograph where he has both his hands on his desk. To my eyes it looks blue.

I've seen people referring to it as a class ring (grad ring) from high school.

In the pic, it is to small to see and in the blow-up it gets too blurry to be sure how the ring looks like. I'd say it's a ring with a big turquoise. See yourself:

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 04:33:16 pm »
I've seen people referring to it as a class ring (grad ring) from high school.

In the pic, it is to small to see and in the blow-up it gets too blurry to be sure how the ring looks like. I'd say it's a ring with a big turquoise. See yourself:

Hi Penthesilea,
     Many thanks for the enlarged shots.
     However, as I don't live in the US, I'm not sure about the significance of the class or grad ring. I assume it's given - or you can buy it - on graduation from high school, right?  Do many men do this and continue to wear it in later years? Was it more popular in earlier years than it is now? I assume Aguirre is around forty - do you? - so if that's about right he must have graduated in the early forties and have been wearing the ring for some time.
     Of course, if it is a high school graduation ring, it places Aguirre in the middle of the educational hierarchy of BbM. Jack and Ennis would be at ther botttom as neither graduated from high school. In the middle would be Aguirre with his high school graduation ring. Then at the top would be, not a man but a woman, Lureen,
with her college degree. Lureen, is in many ways the "new woman", not only in terms of her education as compared to Alma, but in the sexual forwardness she displays on meeting Jack and her ability to run a business.
     So letting us know that Aguirre, through the ring he is wearing, is a high school graduate may have a point to make in the overall "sociology" of BbM. I know that a lot of attention went into small details. One of my favourite examples of costuming detail comes from an interview Devora Brown, a costume designer for BbM, gave to the Calgary Herald earlier this year:

Faces of Calgary Film
Calgary Herald
Published: Friday, April 18, 2008

- Name: Devora Brown

- Job: Costume designer/costume truck supervisor/stylist

- What do you do? "As a costume designer, I meet with the director and production designer to help figure out the overall look of the show, then buy and build the clothing. As costume truck supervisor I dress the actors."

- Largest number of costumes on one set: "On Jesse James we had hundreds and hundreds of extras -- they were dressing 500 people."

- Favourite wardrobe creation? "My favourite costume from a show was from Brokeback Mountain. The scene where Heath (Ledger) and Michelle (Williams) get married. Heath is wearing blue jeans and a suit jacket, and his best man is wearing the matching trousers of the two-piece suit. It is such lovely attention to detail."

It is indeed a lovely way of showing that Ennis and his brother were so poor that they could only afford to hire one wedding suit which they then divided between the two of them. However, before reading this interview, I'd never spotted this lovely detail of the divided suit.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Heath's wedding suit
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 04:43:26 pm »
What a great detail about the costuming, chow!! Amazing follow-through on the theme all the way down to the best man!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath's wedding suit
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 05:23:52 pm »
What a great detail about the costuming, chow!! Amazing follow-through on the theme all the way down to the best man!

WOW ! In all the times I have watched BBM, I have never notice that Ennis wa wearing Jeans not suit trousers.What detailing, but what a shame that as I suspect, I may not be the ony one not to notice this.

I was too upset at Ennis going ahead and getting married. immediately after the alley scene.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 05:27:47 pm »

- Favourite wardrobe creation? "My favourite costume from a show was from Brokeback Mountain. The scene where Heath (Ledger) and Michelle (Williams) get married. Heath is wearing blue jeans and a suit jacket, and his best man is wearing the matching trousers of the two-piece suit. It is such lovely attention to detail."

It is indeed a lovely way of showing that Ennis and his brother were so poor that they could only afford to hire one wedding suit which they then divided between the two of them. However, before reading this interview, I'd never spotted this lovely detail of the divided suit.

Devora Brown sure knows her job!  And if that doesn't prove that nothing was left to chance in the movie, nothing does!   That certainly is a lovely, and meaningful, detail.  Thanks for sharing this!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain