Author Topic: Ombudsman for BetterMost Poll  (Read 12359 times)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Ombudsman for BetterMost Poll
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 06:21:44 am »
I think it is a good idea. I know some great people who won't join BM for one reason: they had problems with someone on another forum who is now on BM, someone who still goes out of her way to make it unpleasant for people currently here at BM whom she doesn't like >>>>from THAT forum.

Things such as this are not healthy for BM. I will happiliy tell Lee exactly what went on in person, if she's interested. Me? I've been a member since Oct of 2006. At first I visited, and activity slowly climbed. The last 6 months I've been here a lot. BM is now the only forum I go to and I am on it every day....for me, it's  "Brokie Central".

It's a great forum with FREEDOM. Let me repeat that>>>BM IS A PLACE WITH FREEDOM. It is largely devoid of dumbassed rules, aside from those which are necessary for it to function.

And I would like to keep it that way. It is why I am here.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 08:02:51 am »

I voted "Yes." I think it'd be a good idea to have an ombudsman. Certainly, a step in the right direction. I don't envy the officeholder, however. S/he will need to have the wisdom of Solomon.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 07:45:35 pm »
My initial thought is that having an Ombudsman is a great idea. I have seen a lot of things happen here that I wish could be resolved. BetterMost consists of an incredible group of people and it is a shame that some misunderstandings do not seem resolvable. I truly think that if someone were there to maybe mediate these misunderstandings in an nonthreatening manner so many more people would get along and enjoy each other again. Misunderstandings, if left unresolved, have this way of festering and becoming worse. Sometimes and in fact many times these misunderstandings can spread thereby creating sides. I feel very fortunate to find myself in a place where I truly feel I get along with everyone. I found out awhile back that I very much want to understand everyone's thoughts here and I truly do not want to ever find myself taking sides. I have mentioned to people before that I seem to have many friends here who are not necessarily within the same subgroups. I like that. I know that some of my friends have misunderstandings with some of my other friends. I can accept that while feeling no need or want to take a side. I do sometimes wish they could get along like they once did.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 03:21:41 pm »

Well in response to Artiste, I feel that selecting the people as regard their own affiliation,, ie gay, lesbian hetero,
just further separates the issues, that often is the source of the trouble...It would only draw the battle ilines further.  I think a group of three would be alright, but anything more than that would be unwieldy.  Six would leave many of the discussions
on an equal vote, still no answer.  It would have to be an uneven number.  Either one, or three or five..etc.   But yes
I think it is needed.  Just to reiterate. 

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 04:14:53 pm »
I ended up voting yes although I am still thinking my vote over. I think Janice is right that we do not want to have separate individuals representing separate groups. I believe Artiste suggested this, but I do not agree since as Janice says this would further divide people and issues. We certainly do not want to do that. I also agree with her that it needs to be an odd number of people so that any kind of votes don't end up in a tie. I think we would definitely need more than one, but no more than five. I actually feel five is a good number since this job will require more time than one could handle. I am glad that Jack brought up the fact that some people will not come on here because of previous arguments with others that are not even related to BetterMost. I know I have some really good friends that just go to DC and that is a shame since these people have a lot to offer our forum. Also, like Jack, says BM IS A PLACE OF FREEDOM!!! Now that is a great thing and something that we can never loose. That is the reason I choose to be here and that is the reason I stay away from DC. So let's make sure this is truly a good idea that will promote better relations. Let's make sure this does not limit our freedoms.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 04:36:59 pm »
Personally, I think we're overthinking things by talking an ombudsman...  just making more "process" and red tape for the Bettermost experience.

JMO though.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 04:51:15 pm »
yes Laura, that is along the lines of what I was thinking
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 07:47:03 am »
I ended up voting yes although I am still thinking my vote over. I think Janice is right that we do not want to have separate individuals representing separate groups. I believe Artiste suggested this, but I do not agree since as Janice says this would further divide people and issues. We certainly do not want to do that. I also agree with her that it needs to be an odd number of people so that any kind of votes don't end up in a tie. I think we would definitely need more than one, but no more than five. I actually feel five is a good number since this job will require more time than one could handle. I am glad that Jack brought up the fact that some people will not come on here because of previous arguments with others that are not even related to BetterMost. I know I have some really good friends that just go to DC and that is a shame since these people have a lot to offer our forum. Also, like Jack, says BM IS A PLACE OF FREEDOM!!! Now that is a great thing and something that we can never loose. That is the reason I choose to be here and that is the reason I stay away from DC. So let's make sure this is truly a good idea that will promote better relations. Let's make sure this does not limit our freedoms.

What's DC?  ???
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 07:52:46 am »
Hi Kerry!!  :)

DC is Dave Cullen, another Brokeback Mountain forum.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 08:24:18 am »
Hi Kerry!!  :)

DC is Dave Cullen, another Brokeback Mountain forum.

Thank you kindly, Shasta.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν