Author Topic: Actor Brad Renfro, 25, Found Dead  (Read 5587 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Actor Brad Renfro, 25, Found Dead
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:35:18 am »
Brad Renfro dead at 25
By JACOB ADELMAN

Actor Brad Renfro, whose career began promisingly with a childhood role in "The Client" but rapidly faded as he struggled with drugs and alcohol, was found dead Tuesday in his home. He was 25.

Paramedics pronounced him dead at 9 a.m., said Craig Harvey, chief investigator for the Los Angeles County coroner's office. The cause of death was not immediately determined, Harvey said, but an autopsy could be conducted as early as Wednesday.

Renfro had reportedly been drinking with friends the evening before his death, Harvey said.

Renfro's lawyer, Richard Kaplan, said he did not know whether the death was connected to any problems with addiction.

"He was working hard on his sobriety," Kaplan said. "He was doing well. He was a nice person."

Renfro recently completed a role in "The Informers," a film adaptation of a Bret Easton Ellis novel that stars Winona Ryder, Brandon Routh and Billy Bob Thornton.

"Brad was an exceptionally talented young actor and our time spent with him was thoroughly enjoyable," Marco Weber, president of the film's production house, Senator Entertainment, said in a statement.

The actor served 10 days in jail in May 2006 after pleading no contest to driving while intoxicated and guilty to attempted possession of heroin.

The latter charge stemmed from his arrest in Los Angeles' Skid Row area, when he attempted to buy heroin from an undercover officer in 2005.

For several years he was better known for that drug bust and the resulting criminal case than for acting.

After one court appearance, he talked to reporters about drug rehabilitation, saying he was "tired of paying the consequences" for drinking and drug use and eager to get clean.

"It's definitely been an eye-opener," he said of his rehabilitation program.

Other run-ins with the law included a 1998 charge of cocaine and marijuana possession, for which he avoided jail time in a plea deal. He was also placed on probation in January 2001 and ordered to pay $4,000 for repairs to a 45-foot yacht he and a friend tried to steal in Florida in August 2000.

He was arrested again in May 2001 and charged with underage drinking, violating the terms of his probation, and was ordered into alcohol rehabilitation the following March.

A native of Knoxville, Tenn., Renfro's film career began when he was 12, acting opposite Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones in "The Client." His other credits included "Sleepers," "Deuces Wild," "Apt Pupil" and "The Jacket."

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Actor Brad Renfro, 25, Found Dead
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:18:45 am »
 :'(  :'(  :'(

Oh no!! This is so terrible. I loved Brad!! He was such a talented actor.

Sleep in peace sweet baby, and may the angels lead you to Paradise.

You will be sincerely missed.  :-*  :-*
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 05:47:54 am »
 :'(
This is so sad. I remember him from The Client; I thought the kid was incredible.

Rest in peace.

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:13 am »
It is always shocking and sad to learn of the death of someone so young, with so much expected life in front of them. I remember Renfro best for his role in Bully, one of the greatest films of the twenty-first century. I wish him peace on his departure from this life.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 01:45:08 pm »
More about his personal life?

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:23:56 pm »

I was very saddened to hear about Brad Renfro's death.  He was such a fine young actor.  I really enjoyed all of his performances that I saw.  One that stands out in my mind (in fact I own it and have seen it quite a few times) is The Cure.  He played the neighbor of a boy who had contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion.  They became best friends, against the protests of Brad's mother, and went off in search of a doctor who, in a tabloid, had supposedly discovered the cure for AIDS.  I HIGHLY recommend it, but it's a major tearjerker. 

May Brad rest in peace.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:15:38 pm »
You will be missed, Brad!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:45:30 pm »
holy F!

how horribly, horribly, sad.

:(

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:31:10 am »
I think that he had said that he grew up at his grand-mother's!

So he was sad?

Is that why he took drugs?

Hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:42:50 am »
Well, I'm no expert Artiste, but Brad always struck me as a bit of an angry youth. He seemed to have some anger bubbling just below. I think this one of the qualities Hollywood liked about him; his slightly angry, southern "rebel" attitude and a pretty face. But an angry youth + pressure from a stressful schedule + drugs = a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I've worried about Brad for a long time. This news is so sad. He was such a talented actor and from what I've heard a very nice and kind young man too.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 10:32:39 pm »
Thanks David!

Others talented like he was, did like he did!!

Some were gay men.

You think that he was gay?

Hugs!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 04:48:07 am »
By all reports Artiste Brad Renfro behaved as a heterosexual. However I think his sexual orientation has little bearing on the subject at hand.  Regardless his death is a tragic waste.

McKellen Pays Tribute to Renfro

Acting legend Sir Ian McKellen has paid tribute to Brad Renfro, his co-star in 1998 film Apt Pupil, who died on Tuesday at just 25. The young star was just 15 when he was cast alongside the British Oscar nominee in the movie, about a teenager who befriends a hiding Nazi war criminal. After learning of Renfro's death from a suspected drug overdose, McKellen wrote on his blog, "I first caught sight of Brad Renfro when he was kicking a football around with Bryan Singer on the half-built set of Apt Pupil in Hollywood. He was a kid having fun and that's how I shall always remember him. But he was more than that. He was a proper actor and when we worked together he was determined to be accepted as such. On set, he was blusteringly confident although it was obvious he would have benefited from training as an actor. Yet, as Todd, the disturbed teenager in Apt Pupil, he tapped into an inner demonic world and carried the film on his young shoulders. He longed to belong in the alien world which perhaps in the end overwhelmed him. He was only 25 and it is dreadful we shan't see all that he might have achieved."
Copyright World Entertainment News Network
Life is not a dress rehearsal

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 06:50:55 am »
It's so sad to see somebody with so much talent going down that road of drinking and drugs. This happening makes me worry even more about Britney Spears. She doesn't need the name-calling, the people telling her how crazy she is and how ugly and fat, she needs somebody to take her under his/her wing and help her so she doesn't end up like Brad. Rest in peace, Brad and thank you for giving us your talent...

:'(