Author Topic: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion  (Read 95932 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2008, 02:37:48 pm »
Hey Lee,

Glad you to hear you ordered Affinity, Bud.  :)

I found the part about Nan's devastation upon discovering Kitty with their agent so distressing that I needed to take a little break. I have been in a similar situation before, and revisiting it was, to put it mildly, uncomfortable!!

Her devastation heals and life does indeed present her with yet another opportunity to love.  Promise.  :)
I hope you don't give up on it totally..!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #151 on: November 04, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »

Heya Sister Mod! 

I'll just echo some of Milli's sentiments here.  Great news about Affinity.  We'll look forward to your movie review.

And, definitely keep your chin up about Tipping the Velvet.... not to be too spoilerish... but, it's a pretty "feel good" book overall, so keep reading!

:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »

Let us know your thoughts after you watch Affinity, Lee.
Do you have the book as well or will the movie be your official intro to the story?  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2008, 08:46:58 pm »
I saw Affinity last night! It was well acted and highly entertaining! It reminded me a bit of The Prestige with much better diction. The two lead actresses were hauntingly beautiful with the meltingest eyes and lips. The scenery was lovingly shot, even making the shower of a prison look beautiful!! Who else has seen this...I'd love to discuss.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2008, 02:21:18 pm »
I saw Affinity last night! It was well acted and highly entertaining! It reminded me a bit of The Prestige with much better diction. The two lead actresses were hauntingly beautiful with the meltingest eyes and lips. The scenery was lovingly shot, even making the shower of a prison look beautiful!! Who else has seen this...I'd love to discuss.

Hey Lee...

You watched Affinity at last!  :)
Were you prepared for the ending (what with the spoilers in this thread and all) or were you completely taken aback by the turn of events?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2008, 01:03:02 pm »
Any spoilers went right over my head, so the ending totally threw me for a loop! In fact, it hasn't quite sunk in yet and I need to watch the movie again, preferably with a friend or two. What an intriguing story! I can see why you devote a whole thread to this one author.

It reminded me of The Prestige a little, too.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2008, 06:18:27 pm »
An SW update:

The Little Stranger
by Sarah Waters
Release date:  April 30, 2009

In a dusty post-war summer in rural Warwickshire, a doctor is called to a patient at Hundreds Hall. Home to the Ayres family for over two centuries, the Georgian house, once grand and handsome, is now in decline, its masonry crumbling, its gardens choked with weeds, the clock in its stable yard permanently fixed at twenty to nine. But are the Ayreses haunted by something more sinister than a dying way of life? Little does Dr Faraday know how closely, and how terrifyingly, their story is about to become entwined with his. Prepare yourself. From this wonderful writer who continues to astonish us, now comes a chilling ghost story.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Stranger-Sarah-Waters/dp/1844086011

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2008, 09:56:24 pm »
I just found out that my friend Offline Chuck is a bit of a Sarah Waters fan, so we are planning to have a mini-SW festival and watch Tipping the Velvet sometime this winter!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2008, 01:44:31 pm »
I just found out that my friend Offline Chuck is a bit of a Sarah Waters fan, so we are planning to have a mini-SW festival and watch Tipping the Velvet sometime this winter!

That is awesome, Lee!
I also recently found out that one of our friends is a big SW fan as well.  How exciting it was to discover that she has read all the SW novels and was dying to watch the movies as well.  Seeing as I have all the movies, we'll either be watching them together or I'll lend them to her.  She is also very much into reading women's history books - another passion of mine - so I reckon I'll have some books she might like to read and vice versa.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2008, 09:47:32 pm »
Something to look forward to! I'll let everyone know when the Sarah Waters mini-festival in Denver will take place.