Author Topic: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion  (Read 95355 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2009, 02:14:06 pm »
Something to look forward to! I'll let everyone know when the Sarah Waters mini-festival in Denver will take place.

Keep us posted, FRiend.   :)

I think I am going to watch Tipping again this week (before I have to lend my dvd out to a friend).

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2009, 09:53:34 pm »

I think I am going to watch Tipping again this week (before I have to lend my dvd out to a friend).

Have fun re-watching!!! 

And, a big congrats goes out to Sally Hawkins for winning a Golden Globe tonight!!!  What a huge upset in her category of best actress in a comedy film.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2009, 01:48:19 pm »
Have fun re-watching!!! 

And, a big congrats goes out to Sally Hawkins for winning a Golden Globe tonight!!!  What a huge upset in her category of best actress in a comedy film.

I know!
Big congrats indeed, to our very own Susan Trinder Sally Hawkins!   8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2009, 02:11:34 pm »
I know!
Big congrats indeed, to our very own Susan Trinder Sally Hawkins!   8)

Heya!  LOL, I was just coming in  here to post that exact photo!  :D

Sure enough!  Hooray for Sally!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2009, 02:16:30 pm »

Lol.  That pic was the  only I could find of her from last night. 
I didn't watch the Golden Globes awards.  Would've love to see Sally accept her award.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2009, 02:22:25 pm »
There are YouTubes out there of the awards.  On Heath, Heath, Heath I think some folks have posted some YouTubes of his award and Nolan's speech.  There must be some YouTubes of Sally out there somewhere.

She looked better on the actual show than she does here in this photo.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2009, 03:15:57 pm »

The Little Stranger

by Sarah Waters

To be released on April 30, 2009.

Review [amazon.com]
Waters (The Night Watch) reflects on the collapse of the British class system after WWII in a stunning haunted house tale whose ghosts are as horrifying as any in Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. Doctor Faraday, a lonely bachelor, first visited Hundreds Hall, where his mother once worked as a parlor maid, at age 10 in 1919. When Faraday returns 30 years later to treat a servant, he becomes obsessed with Hundreds's elegant owner, Mrs. Ayres; her 24-year-old son, Roderick, an RAF airman wounded during the war who now oversees the family farm; and her slightly older daughter, Caroline, considered a “natural spinster” by the locals, for whom the doctor develops a particular fondness. Supernatural trouble kicks in after Caroline's mild-mannered black Lab, Gyp, attacks a visiting child. A damaging fire, a suicide and worse follow. Faraday, one of literature's more unreliable narrators, carries the reader swiftly along to the devastating conclusion.

— Publishers Weekly Starred review

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »
Wow!!!  What exciting news.  It sounds really scary! Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House is one of my favorite books and the original movie (1963) is fantastic.  So, if this new book is really in the same league as the Jackson book, then that's really great.

I can imagine that Waters would be good at writing a scary book... Affinity was pretty scary or at least spooky in certain ways.  It'll be fun to see Waters getting fully into that type of writing for this book.

Thanks for pointing this out!  I hadn't heard about it until you posted this. :)

The Little Stranger

by Sarah Waters

To be released on April 30, 2009.

Review [amazon.com]
Waters (The Night Watch) reflects on the collapse of the British class system after WWII in a stunning haunted house tale whose ghosts are as horrifying as any in Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. Doctor Faraday, a lonely bachelor, first visited Hundreds Hall, where his mother once worked as a parlor maid, at age 10 in 1919. When Faraday returns 30 years later to treat a servant, he becomes obsessed with Hundreds's elegant owner, Mrs. Ayres; her 24-year-old son, Roderick, an RAF airman wounded during the war who now oversees the family farm; and her slightly older daughter, Caroline, considered a “natural spinster” by the locals, for whom the doctor develops a particular fondness. Supernatural trouble kicks in after Caroline's mild-mannered black Lab, Gyp, attacks a visiting child. A damaging fire, a suicide and worse follow. Faraday, one of literature's more unreliable narrators, carries the reader swiftly along to the devastating conclusion.

— Publishers Weekly Starred review

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2009, 03:24:09 pm »

I am looking forward to this new novel as well, Amanda.
SW definitely has an affinity for mysteries, no doubt.  ;)  So I'm anticipating this new novel (will pre-order it next week or so).

Like you suggested - maybe we can read it together and discuss in here.  :)

~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2009, 04:17:00 pm »
I am looking forward to this new novel as well, Amanda.
SW definitely has an affinity for mysteries, no doubt.  ;)  So I'm anticipating this new novel (will pre-order it next week or so).

Like you suggested - maybe we can read it together and discuss in here.  :)

~M

Hi Milli,

I like the idea of reading it together. :)  I think I'll probably just run to a bookstore and buy it once it's released on the 30th.  I'll keep you posted.