Author Topic: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?  (Read 21886 times)

moremojo

Re: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:23:28 am »
What's putatively?
'Putatively' means 'assumably' or 'supposedly'. When something is said to be putative, it means that it is commonly accepted to be true.

I am curious, Artiste, if you can provide specific examples from the text of the story or the body of the film to support your argument that Lureen may have been lesbian or bisexual. I am dubious of any interpretations that arise out of speculations that the short story or film do not themselves support.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »
Thanks moremojo, thanks souxi, thanks LauraGigs, Kd5000, thanks Lucise, thanks louise van han!!

Did Lureen hide the reality that she was a lesbian or bi-sexual?? I think that she did and she did not; both so far, that I think, at my stage of thinking and research.

I am not well versed in composing like you are, and will need your help to find facts in the BM movie and/ or Annie's book!! Plus, some extensions...as to circumstanctial evidence and other facts, as to her life.
I envisage that some of you will realize that you did proof already in some ways... by re-read what you said, but did not realize that as a possible proof or search evidence, as you did on other threads!!

It seems to me, hope that I am wrong, that many persons, do NOT want to talk about lesbianism nor bi-sexuality!! I know that it hurts at times... to think that; I figure that that hurted Lureen too!! In many ways She did cope subconciously and consciouly, with that in many wondrous ways, at the different times in her life (which also tells me that possibly that Jack is still alive - but that will be said later on in  more details!!)

I think that she is a great individual: a lady, a mother, a spouse, a social person too!! I accept her totally as lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual, and maybe other too as that could be too!! Wow, you say!!

I am glad that she did live her life as somewhat and what she wanted!! I accept that totally in the times she was then and in the time we are now (2008)... in our democratic societies.

I do believe that the BM movie tells us, about her being lesbian as well as bisexual; plus heterosexual as putatively if I may use moremojo's word; other sexual orientations, maybe - but I am not there yet!! ??

Existential is her life... like Jack; can that be one clue?
Let's start with this? And as you want. With this maybe: Could it be possible:
Did Lureen hide the reality that she was a lesbian or bi-sexual??

Hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 03:47:30 pm »
there is no evidence at all, Artiste.

Also, note that Lureen was little more than a name in the short story.  And her character is developed only as part of the screenplay.  Neither Lureen nor Alma in the screenplay, or the story, were portrayed in any way has homosexual, or bisexual.

In order to make this theory, you would have to have a basis for it.  There is no basis for it.  We know Jack and Ennis are gay because they HAD SEX IN THE STORY.  The same would have to happen if you make that claim about other characters.  And it didn't.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 07:25:35 pm »
Thanks louise van hine!

To quote you: There is no basis for it.

Louise, may I say that there is a basis. It needs to be proven... started firstly.

To quote you again:
We know Jack and Ennis are gay because they HAD SEX IN THE STORY.  The same would have to happen if you make that claim about other characters.  And it didn't.

Louise, I think that there is a possibility that Lureen had sex with another or others females. The BM movie seems to show that too!! In more ways than one... even.

Want some clue?  Eying!!?? as one??

Hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 07:41:31 pm »
Thanks louise van hine!

To quote you: There is no basis for it.

Louise, may I say that there is a basis. It needs to be proven... started firstly.

To quote you again:

Louise, I think that there is a possibility that Lureen had sex with another or others females. The BM movie seems to show that too!! In more ways than one... even.

Want some clue?  Eying!!?? as one??

Hugs!!

I don't need to prove it, Artiste.  You do.   What "possibility"?  there is no possibility.  If Ang Lee wanted to create a subplot about Lureen having relationships with women there would be some evidence of it.  the interaction between Lureen and the other woman she met is not evidence.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 07:52:12 pm »
Thanks louise van hine!

To quote you:
If Ang Lee wanted to create a subplot about Lureen having relationships with women there would be some evidence of it

Louise, that as you say, he does!! As subplot! Lureen is that sub-plot... which is very much enlarged for that: lesbian or bi, she was or could be!!

To quote you again:
the interaction between Lureen and the other woman she met is not evidence.
Louise, to me, it is just that, and plus!! But on the point of Lureen and that other woman at the dance, check it out!! Evidence as one... is there!!

Concerning proving, like I say I am not well conversed in writing like you are and like you all are like detectives, (and I am not a female), so I need your help from you and from all too!!

Many proofs to me are there, not to you and  to all of you??

Hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 08:19:05 pm »
no, I disagree.  There is no evidence.  It was not in Annie Proulx's original story, and the only reason for the dance scene to be in the film, in my opinion, was to provide a way for Jack to meet 'the ranch neighbor' mentioned in the story, that Jack supposedly was interested in bringing to his father's ranch.  No lesbian story.  sorry.  That is all I have to say on it.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 09:33:44 pm »
Who knows, perhaps as Ennis suggested, Jack did bring up the idea to Lureen about she and Alma adopting the girls and all of them living together as two happy gay couples herding sheep.

;D ::)

Preposterous.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 10:32:30 pm »
Thanks BBM-Cat, and thanks loise van hind!!

Firstly, you two and all here, agree with me that Lureen had taste?? Taste too in order to find the right man for her for sex and for marriage??

Louise, it does not have to be in Annie's story about Lureen being a lesbian or bi-person!! - May I say! That is what maybe made the movie longer??
There are plot twists in the BM movie right??

May I quote you again Louise:
the only reason for the dance scene to be in the film, in my opinion, was to provide a way for Jack to meet 'the ranch neighbor' mentioned in the story, that Jack supposedly was interested in bringing to his father's ranch.  No lesbian story.  sorry.  That is all I have to say on it.

Louise, on the contrary, you may have a proof that she tells him that way that she is lesbian or bi-person!! ?? See how that ranch-neighbour asks to go with Jack and why??!!

BBM-Cat: what you say as I quote you:
Who knows, perhaps as Ennis suggested, Jack did bring up the idea to Lureen about she and Alma adopting the girls and all of them living together as two happy gay couples herding sheep.

BBM-Cat, you might have something there. I think so. I see nothing wrong with that, those four as living as two couples, all four being as two gay men as couple, plus 2 lesbians (or one) or bi-s (or one bi-female) too as another couple or good females friends; plus all four as bi-s maybe!! That, as four (2 gays+2 lesbians) I have seen lately lovingly last week on Oprah, and living happilly, plus the child liked that even if he is straight (he figures at 14 or 16??) ?? !!

For myself, I would have loved that kind of relationship like a ménage à 3, but it is a menage of 4!! I wish I would have thought and found that for myself, since I am a gay man, with some bi-experiences.

I do feel more and more that Lureen is Lesbian or bi-person, and I think that she had to do so, as bi-sexual for many reasons!!

Awaiting your news from you both and from all too,

hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:29 pm »
I won't be adding any more to this discussion. The answer is no.