Author Topic: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?  (Read 21813 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 03:57:31 pm »
Thanks atz75, and thanks to all others too.

Since I am rushing time, I will comment on some of atz's firstly to this recent note of atz, and reply to her plus to other members too later on; (if I forget, please remind me).

Atz' comment starts with her quoting me... curently.

Quote from: Artiste on Today at 10:58:43 AM

Lureen could have went after Jack, because she had no choice because of society she was raised in and she wants to come (and she does) back to her place as her work is this family (her father, her parents' business), and don't forget that I think she was already one month or so pregnant with someone else (not with Jack)!!

Atz adds:
I think Lureen pursues Jack purely out of her own desire.  It fact, I think dating Jack was an act of rebellion on Lureen's part from the very beginning
 Atz and to all to, may I say:

I think indeed it was a form of rebellion or/with another form... that Lureen captures Jack's love. To me, her parents (at least her mother) knew that Lureen was lesbian, but feared that that be it known, told her daughter to marry quickly a MAN (not to marry a lesbian unfortunately)!! So, indeed Lureen pursues Jack since she knows (or feels as the likehood that Jack is or can be bisexual!!

Lureen had went further before she met Jack!! She had sex with at least another man that we know about or of!! But he was NOT desired furtherly that one, or NOT AT ALL!!

So, Lureen goes very happily after Jack, since she observed and knows about Jack before she lets her hat fall down and before she talks to him... at the rodeo, then courtships him at the bar, and then mounts him quickly during sex joy; of course, she pursues and desires Jack, being what he is and how he is like!! Lureen the lesbian, knows how to fish a man!!

Does she know how to fish a woman, that is another matter and another question!!

Wow, do you say?

Awaiting your reply and from all too,

hugs!! (May all lesbians be safe, including Lureens!!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 04:58:28 pm »

I won't even dignify all that confabulation with a logical arguement.. It is just allowing your mind to conjure.  Just
because you think things up in your mind...That does not make them so.  It silly to ever use this forum to make such
ludacrous arguements in the face of all logic to the contrary.  You need to go and read the book, and or watch the movie
once again.  Try and get one with good subtitles.. It may help you to understand that you are all confused about the issues.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:37:20 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 05:42:02 pm »
Thanks ifyoucantfixit!

I do care, for you and for all and for myself.

Why should I kill my freedom? To me, Annie's story and the BM movie rings for freedom!! As for lesbians, as for gay men... as for others!! Ringing in wondrous ways!!

I really think that Lureen is somewhat tormented because she is a lesbian, since she sees or feels forced by the tempest of society, and accepts that and changes more and more helping herself fighting it, and then she starts to travel her road of lesbian freedom!! For the right to be in love, female with female; I see nothing wrong with that and I accept Lureen lesbianism. She is brave!! She solves her case more and more!!

May all find such comfort and joy of living!! You too, if youcantfixit, if I may wish, since you surely can fix it, too without bitterness!! Whatever, you desire, may you have it as you wish!!

Hugs!! Much things are hard to understand in life, and may we all understand to free our dream(s) of life, alone and together!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:13 pm »
Artiste, I think you're misunderstanding what the word lesbian means.  It is not a synonym for sexual rebellion or sexual assertiveness.  It means being attracted to women.  We're not shown this in the film (much less in the story) when it comes to Lureen's character.

L.D. and probabbly Lureen's mother as well are not interested in Lureen marrying Jack... her heterosexual selection of Jack is an act of rebellion and self-determination on her part. 

No one is forcing Lureen to do anything.  Again, that's what's important about her character. In her own way, she's rebelling against patriarchal control by marrying someone her father does not like.  She and Jack have certain things in common in that they don't fit all the gender stereotypes of their era.  In Lureen's case, this does not mean that she's a lesbian... rather it means that she's a sexually self-assured straight woman and is a very ambitious business woman.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 08:17:53 pm »
I'm back to add one further thought.

The subject of a repressed lesbian in Texas during the 1960s (struggling with her parents, society, etc.) would be a very interesting story.  And one that would be very worthy of investigation.  But, I'm afraid it just isn't part of the plot of BBM. 

The topic of a young, repressed lesbian in 1960s-Texas would be such a big subject it really would take it's own movie/story to address well. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »
Lureen a bisexual lesbean? 

smellykellyjay looks around. 

Is this the "Brokeback Mountain Fan Fiction & Poetry" board? 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:38 am »
I really don't know if Lureen is a lesbian or not but here is a recent picture of her at a sorority reunion.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 01:14:33 am »
I really don't know if Lureen is a lesbian or not but here is a recent picture of her at a sorority reunion.

The years haven't been too kind to poor Lureen, have they?   ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 01:27:11 am »
The years haven't been too kind to poor Lureen, have they?   ;)

The poor baby.  Looks like she no longer had time to hit the salon for all those highlights!  :o

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 01:43:30 am »

Its obvious her butch side won out.  She is no longer the bleach blond, red fingernailed, jewelry wearing
person she once was.  She has taken off her pumps, and traded them for biker boots.

Beautiful mind