Author Topic: Tarot Card Styles! Please Vote!  (Read 19915 times)

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Tarot Card Styles! Please Vote!
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 10:19:53 pm »
Wow, these are all beautiful - I can see them all except for the Black Mountain one, for some reason.  My favorite right now is "Medicine".  The "Housewives" design made me smile.  Tarot decks really are works of art.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 01:05:12 pm »
Lee, what are we voting for?  Is it to say that we want our Brokeback Mountain deck to look like the one we vote for?  Or to say which ones are the most visually appealing to us?  Or that we like the wording of the books that come with it?

My favorite deck is "Motherpeace," I've used it for about 25 years.  I wouldn't want our BBM deck to look like it though.

Medicine Cards are cool, but they are not a tarot deck.

Thanks for introducing so many decks here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:11 pm »
Thanks for your question! I am asking people to select up to five styles that they like in order to get an idea of what styles would work best for the Brokeback Mountain tarot cards. Should they be photographic, or painterly? Simple, or complex? Emphasize decoration or emphasize one central illustration? That kind of thing. The words don't matter in this case.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 05:41:29 pm »
"Nature Speaks"

I choose this one based on both my personal taste and on what I think best fits BbM.  It's striking, simple, and spartan, kinda rough.  The Mythic style appeals to me but less so.  The others seem too modern, decorative, and/or busy for me. 

I never knew there was so much diversity for tarot cards.  Thank you for pulling all these together. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 07:03:28 pm »
I choose this one [Nature Speaks] based on both my personal taste and on what I think best fits BBM.  It's striking, simple, and spartan, kinda rough.

I was thinking exactly along these lines - and this is one of the styles I voted for.  I like the idea of each traditional card being illustrated with a related theme from BBM.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 07:24:39 pm »
You two are gonna make my job easier!! I'm really rather rusty as an artist!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2008, 08:26:43 pm »
You two are gonna make my job easier!!

Well, it's not like you don't have enough going on as it is. 

I'm really rather rusty as an artist!!

Can't be no worse than me.  Honey, I have to use a compass, ruler, and protractor to draw stick figures, and Spirograph gives me the dizzies. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

injest

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2008, 09:21:52 pm »
Well, it's not like you don't have enough going on as it is. 

Can't be no worse than me.  Honey, I have to use a compass, ruler, and protractor to draw stick figures, and Spirograph gives me the dizzies. 

HEY!! SMJ!! haven't seen you in a while!

Good to see you still around. Saw your pick in the Social Forum, you handsome devil!

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2008, 09:47:48 pm »
I am surprised that as a collector of Tarot Decks, the only one of these that I have is the Lord of the Rings Tarot.

I use the Golden Tarot for very special situations and readings for others, but have enjoyed the Quest Tarot with its multiple uses per card and two additional cards that reflect millennial perspectives. I also have The Aquarian Tarot, the Gilded Tarot (some beautiful images in that one), the Sacred Circle Tarot, the Robin Greenwood Tarot (my first deck), and the Roehrig Tarot (one of the first decks I ever used). I also have the Medicine Woman Tarot which I occasionally use for business questions.

Golden Tarot

Gilded Tarot

Roehrig Tarot

Quest Tarot

Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2008, 08:46:18 pm »

I too, am wondering, what are we voting for?

If it's for the style for BBM's deck, then I vote for a very realistic, photomanip type deck.  The main characters in BBM are lovely to behold, and the lands in which they live are so spectacular, it would be a shame to not use real shots.

Hey, Daniel, I have both the Robin Greenwood Tarot - which I eventually gave to my sister, I didn't use it - and the Golden Tarot as well.  But while a beautiful deck, it was too Christian and therefore off-putting for me, so I just study it from time to time.

I have others I use, some are oracle decks and not really Tarot.