Author Topic: are you gonna  (Read 6165 times)

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
are you gonna
« on: May 19, 2006, 02:21:54 am »
ok, you said anything goes...and i know there is a whole board dedicated to this, but i wonder what you all think of the DaVinci Code...did you read the book, are you gonna read the book, are you gonna see the movie? 
over on the DC board, they are 99.9% whack jobs and i have no interest in even being there, BUT they are BUSY!!!! posting, bam,bam,bam...hard tp keep up, might be what we see when BBM comes out on ppv
SO...i wanted to get you take on it...
gaylee
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

slayers_creek_oth

Re: are you gonna
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 02:30:03 am »
I saw it....I liked it...

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:31:35 am »
ok, you said anything goes...and i know there is a whole board dedicated to this, but i wonder what you all think of the DaVinci Code...did you read the book, are you gonna read the book, are you gonna see the movie? 
over on the DC board, they are 99.9% whack jobs and i have no interest in even being there, BUT they are BUSY!!!! posting, bam,bam,bam...hard tp keep up, might be what we see when BBM comes out on ppv
SO...i wanted to get you take on it...
gaylee

I plan to see the film on Tuesday.  I am an avid reader and tried my best to get through the book but it was just too much I quit about 100 pages in.  I cannot see why it sat of the NYTimes Best Seller List so long!.....    So I'm hoping the film will redeem it all for me, althought early reviews are VERY mixed.  I like the actors, esp Ian Mckellan, Paul Bettany and Tom Hanks ....so we'll see I'm going to give it my full attention and dare it to draw me in an entertain me.  I'll let you know

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 06:49:10 am »
I will go see the movie! I've read the book and liked it a lot! I don't read 600-page books often, but this one was a very easy read, I thought. I actually bought the book in the summer of 2004(!) before all the hype! I read the summary on the back of the book and liked it. Now, with the film being released I promised myself to read the book before going to the movie. I did. I was on a waiting list for Wednesday to see it in a World Première in Brussels, but I wasn't called back.. But that's okay. I'll go see it over the week-end or next week.

Victoria, I like those three actors too. Not sure about Audrey Tautou, though.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 12:40:53 pm »
I will go see the movie! I've read the book and liked it a lot! I don't read 600-page books often, but this one was a very easy read, I thought. I actually bought the book in the summer of 2004(!) before all the hype! I read the summary on the back of the book and liked it. Now, with the film being released I promised myself to read the book before going to the movie. I did. I was on a waiting list for Wednesday to see it in a World Première in Brussels, but I wasn't called back.. But that's okay. I'll go see it over the week-end or next week.

Victoria, I like those three actors too. Not sure about Audrey Tautou, though.

~ j U d E

I never read the book but my aunt is currently reading it and is having a hard time putting it down.  She loves it...completely drawn into the story and she is also looking forward to seeing the film. 

When critics said that there is little to no chemistry in the film they were right...but in this particular film I didn't necessarily feel it was vital to the story....I felt there was enough chemistry between the actors to get the story told.  Its also a little slow at first but IMO good nonetheless...

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 04:59:19 pm »
I never read the book but my aunt is currently reading it and is having a hard time putting it down.  She loves it...completely drawn into the story and she is also looking forward to seeing the film. 

When critics said that there is little to no chemistry in the film they were right...but in this particular film I didn't necessarily feel it was vital to the story....I felt there was enough chemistry between the actors to get the story told.  Its also a little slow at first but IMO good nonetheless...
Same here. I couldn't put it down. I usually take ages to read a book - I'm a slow reader (always with a pencil in my hand) - but this one, was easy! I'm not saying I understand all the religious symbolism and background - far from it! - but Dan Brown has a writing-style that flows. Entirely different to A Proulx' style in 'BBM'.

There's been so much bad critics about this film and so much hype, but I will look beyond that. I want to 'see' the story I've read and the fact that there is no chemistry, well, doesn't really matter (if true).

I like slow films. I mean BBM is slow-paced. I like it. Looking forward to seeing TDVC!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 05:11:51 pm »
I read the book several years ago. Quite a page turner. But then, I read Angels and Demons while in Rome (part of it is set in Rome). I thought it was the hit, not DV. Then I read Deception Point and began to grow tired of the formula. I will see the movie at some point but have several others on the list ahead of it (as well as watching my BBM DVD again). I would have liked to see a different director and lead, such as Kevin Kline.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 05:39:05 pm »
I plan to see the movie. I read the book last summer, and I liked it for the most part. I thought it was a bit over-done in spots, but overall ok. I believed then that it would make a decent movie. I discussed the book with an English professor friend of mine, and her opinion is that it's a good read, but, "Brown is not a great writer. He depends on tired cliches and leaves the reader hanging at the end of chapters in a way that's immature and tired." Despite her opinion, I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:18:19 pm »
I'm takin my wife and brother to see it tonight...so we'll see what they think...

I am now eager to read the book...

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 10:27:26 pm »
I read it last winter..a page turner, butits my kind of bkke..can't wait to see movie..am going with girls at work...but we are the same group fo sinners that love BBM, the "christian" extremeists are leaving "christian" pamphlets all over the office, telling us that we will be forever cast into hell if we see it...why is the church protesting SO much,. i don't get it..how can you refute FICTION??  AND i think they re calling more attention to it than if they just ignored it...AND...if all of it was true...SO WHAT???? what difference would it make??? doesn't the bible say that jesus was sent to earth to live as a man?? if you believe that, then why would the premise of this movie compromise your beliefs or be a bad thing...?? sorry, for draging this out, but i am really bothered by the "christian" reaction to all og this...
i might sneak to see it with hubs this weekend, BEFORE i go with the girls...we'll see...anyone who sees it give yhour opinion...
and i DO agree that brown is no grishom, and after now reading A&D and Decption point and now finishing up Digital Fortress..i agree that he uses the same format to tell different stories...hohum....but i am looking forward to seeing Hanks in a Ron Howard film...hell, or no hell...
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away