Author Topic: OT: "Volver", Pedro Almodovar's new movie: A MUST SEE  (Read 8798 times)

rtprod

Re: OT: "Volver", Pedro Almodovar's new movie: A MUST SEE
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 04:36:11 pm »
ON PENELOPE CRUZ

To sum it up, she got an unfair shake in Hollywood and certainly didn't ride the crest of Cruise the way Ms. Holmes has done.  One might guess she was too independent, unable to be molded by Mr. Hollywood (or Hollywood itself) and she wisely returned to making small and European films after her English-language features failed to ignite an American career or much audience interest.  As usual, a dependable, established and talented foreign star comes to America and our shitty movie biz fails to find a single really good role to match her -- so she ends up as the girlfriend in a series of high profile films, pegged as the "fiery" second banana to Nicolas Cage, Matt Damon, Tom Cruise and others. 

A MUST, MUST, MUST SEE and her CAREER HIGH PERFORMANCE is in a little seen recent film entitled "DON'T MOVE" -- she is so tragic and unhinged here as an immigrant Turkish maid on the skids and caught in an affair with a wealthy, adulterous doctor, and no one paid attention:

http://www.offoffoff.com/film/2005/dontmove.php

Cruz, as Italia:

OKAY, now why has no one thrown a little love to Pen here?  Come on guys, don't fail me...  :-)

rt

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 04:51:12 pm »
I personally don't like Penelope Cruz very much. She isn't that well liked here actually, not as much as it seems. Most people consider her a total bitch.  But a bitch or not,  I have to admit that she is improving a lot as an actress. I think she did a great job in Volver (I haven´t seen that one she made in Italy), but she's not exactly my favorite actress. Sorry. There are other actresses here in Spain that are way more talented than she is and pull out impressive performances like Leonor Watling, Pilar Bardem or Marisa Paredes. It's just that Penelope made it in Hollywood and because of that she's more on the spotlight but she's not the best thing from Spain. Neither is Banderas. Javier Bardem and Luis Tosar are way better than Banderas. But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 04:53:05 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

rtprod

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 05:00:16 pm »
I personally don't like Penelope Cruz very much. She isn't that well liked here actually, not as much as it seems. Most people consider her a total bitch.  But a bitch or not,  I have to admit that she is improving a lot as an actress. I think she did a great job in Volver (I haven´t seen that one she made in Italy), but she's not exactly my favorite actress. Sorry. There are other actresses here in Spain that are way more talented than she is and pull out impressive performances like Leonor Watling, Pilar Bardem or Marisa Paredes. It's just that Penelope made it in Hollywood and because of that she's more on the spotlight but she's not the best thing from Spain. Neither is Banderas. Javier Bardem and Luis Tosar are way better than Banderas. But that's just my opinion.

Hmm.  I only know her from the films I have seen her in back to Bigas Luna's Jamon, Jamon, which I think was my first experience with her.  But I think she's pretty terrific in Spanish-speaking roles and truly exceptional in All About My Mother and especially, as I noted above, Don't Move.  She was also very good in a TNT movie named Noel, directed by Chazz Palmenteri last year, where she played opposite Paul Walker (terrific performance) who was her abusive boyfriend.  Marisa Parades is hands down, my very, very favorite Spanish actress.  Ever see her in "Savages" some time back?  WHOAH.  Never released here in the states but I saw it on a film festival a few years ago and she was unbelievable. 

I love Bardem too much to describe and for all the obvious reasons.  However, Banderas is a major, major talent.  I saw him on Broadway in Nine a few seasons ago, and he was truly spectacular--charisma, very good singer and even better dancer, and that is a tough show to pull off if you've ever heard the music and lyrics.  He is a great example of a talented guy pigeonholed, again, by the American studio system. 

rt

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:18:43 pm by rtprod »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 05:09:26 pm »
You could be right about Banderas. I've never seen him in a theater play. But I haven't been impressed by none of his performances in movies so far, at least not as much as Bardem. Have you seen Los Lunes al Sol? (Mondays in the Sun). It's one of the best Spanish movies I have seen. Bardem does incredibly good there. I also liked Bigas Luna's La Teta y la Luna (The Tit and The Moon). 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:30:15 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.